Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 03-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
devious-tofu
BRITCHES AND HOSE

Wocky Kitaki Wig

Hey!

I'm going to be working on a Wocky Kitaki cosplay this summer (Ref: http://www.court-records.net/arts/ar...rtofgs-456.jpg ) and I need some advice about his hair.

First, what would you reccomend as a good base wig for the brown part of his hair? I won't be doing much to it except making the spikes in the back and front. As for the big orange cow-lick he has, would you suggest adding a weft to the front of the wig? I was thinking about these extensions in Orange: (dyed more red with sharpies) http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog...nekalon-Braid/ . Would you suggest buying a couple of these since the cowlick is fairly thick?
As for the two "ears" by his cowlick, I was thinking of using hairsrpray to shape the base brown wig and then adding some extensions from the same site in gold.

And help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!
devious-tofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
Doctor Blind

If you are just looking for a basic thick medium-length brown wig, the Angela 750 from Cosworx would probably work very well.
I think those extensions would work ok, but you can get the Jumbo Braid if you are worried about thickness. ^^

Faris (FFV)
Felix (Golden Sun: The Lost Age)
Flora (Professor Layton & The Curious Village)
Doctor Blind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
devious-tofu
BRITCHES AND HOSE

Thank you for the suggestions!

bumping for more help!
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

I would actually sew two wigs together. The bangs / cowlick portion is pretty thick; it's not wefted into the brown hair, but it replaces it; and it's placed where the skin top of the wig is, so even if you wanted to sew the extensions into the wig to mix them with the brown wig fiber, it would be hard to do so.

So basically, get two Angelas, cut out a portion of the skin tops on both wigs, and replace the brown skin top with the orange one.

On a side note, "orange" is a very, very vibrant color. You may want to choose a somewhat more natural color (like 144 / "gold" or 27 / "strawberry blonde".) The New Look line has great palette, so you should be able to find a color you like. (If not, you can dye a blonde wig a more natural orange, or tone down an orange wig with brown wig dye. It doesn't look bright red-orange in your reference, not on my monitor anyway o_o)
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
devious-tofu
BRITCHES AND HOSE

Hmm... I see what you're saying, but I'd rather not cut a little portion out of an entire wig. I was looking at the tutorial you made for making wefts on the sewing machine, and do you think it would be possible to buy multiple wefts (Are these ones thicker? http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog...n-Jumbo-Braid/ ) and creating one weft with multiple layers to make it thicker? Then sew that to the front of the wig and style it?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't have much knowledge in wigs. ^^; Thanks for you help!!
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
devious-tofu
BRITCHES AND HOSE

Oh, and I agree with you about the color that I said at first. It's much too bright. The Kanekalon Jumbo Braid comes in the color Amber, which I think would work.
Unread 03-09-2009, 06:00 AM   #7
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Actually, I wouldn't use Jumbo Braid in a wig, ever, unless it's to add texture to a huge crazy afro mob or as batting inside a braid where no one will be able to see it ^.^ Jumbo Braid has a completely different texture than silky wig fiber (it mimicks the texture of natural afro hair and is used for braiding.) You'll want to use silky straight kanekalon and add volume by a) giving it hold with hairspray, set with blow dryer heat, and b) adding a foamcore or wire understructure if you want a totally gravity-defying cowlick.

Like I said, sewing wefts to that part of a wig is going to be difficult and it's probably going to be pretty obvious (because you can see the wefts' roots if you sew them to the skin top.) However, you could give it a try first and see if you can get it to look right, you can still chop up a second wig if you're not satisfied with the result.
Unread 03-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Cora
Shine Forever

I would actually start with a shorter base wig (maybe something like the Wisp) than an Angela, because you'll be chopping a lot of hair. (Also I suck at cutting wigs into quasi-normal styles, so if you're like me, start with a shorter wig XD).

Sewing two wigs together really isn't that difficult, and if you do it right, you won't harm the structural integrity of the wig. Either way, you'll have to remove fibers from the front of your base wig to sew in the correct color for the cowlick. What you might consider doing is creating a foamcore piece in the basic shape of the cowlick, and then gluing extensions on it. That way you're not trying to shape a whole bunch of fibers with glue and hairspray to risk having it fall flat under its own weight. You could then make the entire foam piece a clip-on, or just glue it onto the wig.
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
devious-tofu
BRITCHES AND HOSE

Thanks for all of your wisdom, guys! I'll have to try out a few different methods to see what I want to do. Again, all of your help is greatly appreciated!