Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
EbilDaneh.x

Cosplaying and Animals.

Is there any possible chance for animals to come into cosplay?
I've recently been thinking about using one of my horses for cosplaying.

Crazy but I thought it might be an idea. (:
EbilDaneh.x is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

You could, but not at a convention xD
Aqua's Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
EbilDaneh.x

lol yeah, that'd be memorable.
just a thought, I saw a little dog dressed up as Pikachu the other day lol
EbilDaneh.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Kiichigo

For photoshoots, it would be AWESOME! Escpecially if you're cosplaying someone royal, but also for other stuff..
Dogs are cool. Escpecially when they cosplay as Pakkun (from Naruto)
Kiichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Sipesh
Mockin'bird

LoZ pictures with horses are always cool. Sadly, I can't see Cid Highwind on a horse so I probably won't be getting pictures of mine in there. I've seen a few corgies show up as Ein in pictures now and then, too. Just... don't dress up the poor animals. *Snickers*

Current Costumes
Cid Highwind (Game Ver.) 100%
Cybil Bennett (Game Ver.) 100%
Zorin Blitz 100%
Zapp Brannigan (Futurama) 25%
Dissidia Kefka 20%
Balthier 10%
Sipesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Lovefromwcu
The Obsessed

I think animals are good for photos if the part is fitting, but not for bringing to an event or for dressing up.

Good: A dog that looks like Hewie being used alongside a Fiona cosplayer for some Haunting Ground pictures

Bad: Making an animal get in an elaborate costume, essentially torturing it.

Could go either way: If a dog seems okay with wearing clothes (such as my smallest chihuahua), a comfortable, more cutesy costume could be okay.
  • Argilla (Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga)
  • Anissina von Karbelnikoff (Kyou Kara Maou)
  • Daniella (Haunting Ground)
  • Milly Ashford (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion)
Lovefromwcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Ryuu_
I am ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbilDaneh.x View Post
Is there any possible chance for animals to come into cosplay?
I've recently been thinking about using one of my horses for cosplaying.

Crazy but I thought it might be an idea. (:
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/61045/

There you go. The only cosplaying horse I've ever seen.
Unread 03-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Matty's Mello
moved to 'Rainbowgasm'

Do it! I've seen lots of horses dressed up, and some of the people at all the barns I've been at get REALLY creative! I dressed my horse up as a parrot 2 halloweens ago when she was just a yearling, we had a red sheet with feathers glued on to look like wings and a tail, and a black triangle of fabric in the front of her halter for a beak, it was so cute! and she was so good too!
This halloween her costume wont be as elaborate, but she's going to be a chestnut version of Zero's horse- Lily from Vampire Knight- while I'm Zero of course XP basicly her costume is her saddle and bridle XP

Current "Active" Cosplays: Post-scar Mello- 100%; Zero "Bloodlust" & "Artbook"- 100%

Next Con: DTAC 2009 (Dec. 13th)

Possible Cons: Con-G 2010, MTAC 2010, Anime North 2010, ConBravo 2010, NAF 2010, CN Anime 2010, Naru2U 2010

Next cosplays: Zero (Vampire Knight)- day class uniform
Matty's Mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

At Anime North 2007, an Orochimaru cosplayer actually brought a live snake in with him....how he got it into the con I don't know, but it was so awesome. I wouldn't recommend bringing reptiles along unless it's a summer con, though. I've seen people put their dogs in generic costumes too, but never cosplays.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Considering 99.9% of conventions are held in places that do not allow animals (except for service dogs), it seems a rather moot point.

But private photoshoots at home...an appropriate character astride a horse maybe. Posing with an appropriate canine or feline companion, possibly. But that would be for photos only...it wouldn't be with the active cosplaying in mind.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

If you can safely and humanely work/incorporate your pet/animal into your cosplay for photoshoots and what not, why not? It's lots of fun. Even though some convention places allow pets(several people had dogs at Jacon last year), bringing a pet to a con is still a lot of work and responsibility so it really isn't worth it.

As for dressing up the animals, if you can modify pre-made pet clothes or use a pattern to make some, that's not a bad idea either. Just as long as the animal is not harmed, tortured, or made uncomfortable. Like if your dog has a doggie sweater, sewing little felt wings on it so it is "cosplaying" Kiro from Cardcaptor Sakura would be cute or putting a little doggie-sized hat on it(don't expect it to stay though lol). I've seen people put Naruto headbands and straw hats(like Luffy's) on their dogs before. Stuffing Doggie into a suit to be Tamaki is bad.

I've only used animals for my Akito Sohma cosplay- one picture with my dog and a few with one of my horses(both in their natural "fursuits"). I plan on using a horse to get some pictures in my Mulan cosplay soon too.

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

With the idea of bringing a pet of any size and shape to a con anyway - one should consider that they might not enjoy that type of atmosphere...

I have seen photos of people dressed as Link and ride their horses, which were well done. Personally I believe that is the extent, either just for your own personal pictures or within a small photoshoot with a small group of people. I always did wanted to use my horse for something, it's just the tricky part would be needing someone there to take the actual photos for me lmao

All and all, I agree with what the above said. Safety to the pet comes first all in all in this sort of circumstance.

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
EgnirysFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #13
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

I enjoy taking cosplay pics with my pets - Kenshin playing with a cat, because he's the kind of character who WOULD stop and play with a cat, Tsuzuki cuddling fluffy bunnies because he WOULD cuddle fluffy little animals - but they're totally not coming to cons with me. Not only would they not be allowed, my pets would hate the car ride.

I did have a very good-natured rabbit some years back who had grey fur, and I asked people on my LJ friends list - if I was to dress a grey bunny up, who should I dress him as, keeping in mind that you wouldn't see the chest/stomach area of an animal who walks on all fours? I wound up beginning a teeny Kakashi costume for the little guy, but never got around to making more than the vest, since tailoring for animals (built completely unlike humans) is a little odd.

As you can see, he really didn't mind running around with a vest on. XD He was such a good bunny.
Unread 03-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #14
LordMoufMouf
From another era....

I would make sure your horse is properly accustomed to any flapping, ruffling, noisy, bright parts of the costume before doing a photoshoot. You will probably want to start training long before you have to do the shoot, and enlist the help of a knowledgeable trainer if you have not done bombproofing before - there is a lot more to it than just shaking a sheet in front of his face.

http://stagsleap.deviantart.com
"Polite Frivolity" - Art, Life, Horses, and Ballet Blog

AOD~SF Cherry Blossom Festival~Gaskell Ball~Fanime~Clockwork Alchemy~Nova Albion~Handcar Regatta~Vintage Invasion

Princess Tutu~Sebastian Michaelis~Steampunk~NeoVictorian~Historical

LordMoufMouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #15
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I enjoy taking cosplay pics with my pets - Kenshin playing with a cat, because he's the kind of character who WOULD stop and play with a cat, Tsuzuki cuddling fluffy bunnies because he WOULD cuddle fluffy little animals - but they're totally not coming to cons with me. Not only would they not be allowed, my pets would hate the car ride.

I did have a very good-natured rabbit some years back who had grey fur, and I asked people on my LJ friends list - if I was to dress a grey bunny up, who should I dress him as, keeping in mind that you wouldn't see the chest/stomach area of an animal who walks on all fours? I wound up beginning a teeny Kakashi costume for the little guy, but never got around to making more than the vest, since tailoring for animals (built completely unlike humans) is a little odd.

As you can see, he really didn't mind running around with a vest on. XD He was such a good bunny.
lol, you have such an adorable bunny! Props to you for being able to tailor the little vest to him. I once tried to make a Hitsugaya cosplay for my guinea pig named Toshiro Hitsugaya, but it would up more like a cape that loosely tied under his chin.
Behold Toshiro Hitsuguinea-pig

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote