Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Kunai-kun
十六夜&

Gender Swapping

I know there's an older topic for this, but it's soooo old(2004) that I figured I'd just make a new one.

How do you feel about a female version of a male character, or a male version of a female character?

Keep in mind that I mean a redesign of a character's outfit to fit their new gender, and not just saying "squall has boobs now lolol."

I personally don't particularly like girl-ified male characters cause I don't feel it's usually done in the correct way.

I'm sort of asking this because I might be making a male version of Sakuya Izayoi from Touhou Project. (see avatar)

Keine Kamishirasawa(COMMISSION)- Touhou Project - Current Project

Future Projects:
Toramaru Shou - Touhou Project - In Progress, Stalled
Jin Kisaragi - BlazBlue - In Progress
Saigyouji Yuyuko - Koumajou Densetsu 2-Strangers Requiem
Shikieiki Yamaxanadu - Touhou Project
Mononobe no Futo - Touhou Project

I take commissions! PM me if you're interested. ~
Kunai-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Sarah~Chan
super-special-AWESOME x3

I like charaters in their opposite genders xD but in reasoning. Like Naruto characters. It works. I know there's a couple animes that do the same or have a fan base around changed genders or something (Like from Haruhi; I've noticed Kyon and that other guy having female versons that have gotten around...)
However, putting on a bikini and wearing a long haired wig the same color as your character is not right =/ It looks lazyish
I'm doing a Sexy no Jutsu Kakashi after my Temari, mainly because I love Kakashi but could never pull him off +_+
Mikuru *School*
*Current Cosplay Construction*
Germany/Ludwig 0% Oh dear
Holy Roman Empire 0% lol
Luka *Magnet Verson* 60%
Great friends help you stay out of jail when you kill someone. BEST friends help you bury the body.
Sarah~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Netto_Zero

I hate it, to me it just seems like your too lazy to crossplay. I also dislike character "twists" in general for the most part but that's just me. Like lawl pimp (insert character here), isn't really funny or interesting to me.
Netto_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Kunai-kun
十六夜&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto_Zero View Post
I hate it, to me it just seems like your too lazy to crossplay. I also dislike character "twists" in general for the most part but that's just me. Like lawl pimp (insert character here), isn't really funny or interesting to me.
More like I am seriously uninterested in wearing a maid's dress. =.=;

This is like the alternative to crossplaying.

And generally preferable for guys.

Keine Kamishirasawa(COMMISSION)- Touhou Project - Current Project

Future Projects:
Toramaru Shou - Touhou Project - In Progress, Stalled
Jin Kisaragi - BlazBlue - In Progress
Saigyouji Yuyuko - Koumajou Densetsu 2-Strangers Requiem
Shikieiki Yamaxanadu - Touhou Project
Mononobe no Futo - Touhou Project

I take commissions! PM me if you're interested. ~
Kunai-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

Mmhm...if it is done well, and original, I can find it to be likable. But lately gender-switches haven't been really original in my eyes, and are usually sexed-up or obtain an inability to actually recgnonize who the character is.

So..err..I guess I am neutral. I am not going to condemn anyone who wants to do it, but neither am I going to worship it. If you personally wanna go ahead, feel free to XD

P.S. It does in a way depend too, on what characters they are in the first place. Some are easier to switch than others. Whereas to do so with some others seem pointless...like gender switching bishounen or tomboys.

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
EgnirysFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Dittooooooo.
Unless it's a canon gender switch from an episode I'm just not a fan. And unless it's canon it might be hard to tell it's a male/female version of _____ character.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
MochaValentino
kore ga samurai damashiii

IMO, I can't stand it. I mean, there's no such thing as a Sexy no Jutsu Vincent Valentine or something like that. I find it insulting to the character, and I'll probably look the other way so they wouldn't see my expression.

I hate to sound like a prick, but that's how I feel.
Unread 03-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
Cora
Shine Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ametatsu View Post
IMO, I can't stand it. I mean, there's no such thing as a Sexy no Jutsu Vincent Valentine or something like that. I find it insulting to the character, and I'll probably look the other way so they wouldn't see my expression.

I hate to sound like a prick, but that's how I feel.
I have to agree, particularly when there's no precedence for the character to have a gender-swapped form in the first place. I mean, I don't want to stop on anyone's idea of having fun with their fandom, but really? Half the time it isn't very tasteful.
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
vampirate

I've done it, so I suppose I have to say I'm for it. But I don't approve of just the skankier versions. Throwing on a miniskirt and showing cleavage does not make it a female version. I think the new version should be redesigned with thought put into it about the character. So if a character if fully clothed as a male it's not all of a sudden going to dress skimpy as a female. But if and when I do something like this I don't take myself too seriously because it is after all kind of inherently silly.
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
Kageh_Mygen
is still alive.

I don't really care. What other people do is their own business. As I often feel about subjects like this, people take it all too seriously. If a person is enjoying themselves dressing up in their costume, even if it isn't canon, why complain?
Unread 03-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #11
cheddot

Ouran guys as girls = win. Other than that, it really depends.
cheddot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
xxkittygurl

I don't really like it, I'm never going to do it, but I'm not going to stop anyone who wants to. I just feel like, "what's the point?" Unless it's a very well known series, no one's going to know who you are (which is debatingly good or bad) and who knows what the reaction is going to be of the few people who *do* recognize you is going to be.
Yuna || Final Fantasy X: 97% done
Upcoming Cons: Sakura Con 2013
PAX Seattle 2013

xxkittygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 12:58 AM   #13
thoshy
Soul Eater Addict.

Quote:
That's how I feel on it.

UnderTaker [Kuroshitsuji]
Kabuchimaru (Naruto)
thoshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:26 AM   #14
Jackofalltrades
Tiny Mighty

I think that when people do a "feminine" version of a male character, that just gives them an excuse to dress slutty and think they are being "hawt."
Jackofalltrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:28 AM   #15
DivineSage
Formerly OokamiTsuki

To be honest, I'm kind of tired of seeing everyone's "super-original" take on a character that's already been designed by professionals for a specific purpose. I mean, if you can show some true creativity and ingenuity and completely redesign the outfit for your purposes, then more power to you, but if your idea of an "original design" is a Sexy no Jutsu version of a stoic male character, then I could do with seeing less of you around the con circuit.
DivineSage is offline   Reply With Quote