Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 03-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
MDA
Destiny Productions

Tutorial: 777 Tool of Hell - Evil Friday piece

I've made this tutorial for cosplayers who plan to cosplay Neuro, and may want to make Evil Friday from the show. I've made a piece of it to try it out, and it works! I will be posting a picture of me as Neuro with this prop at some point soon, that was made the way this tutorial explains. Please note, it's only a piece of Evil Friday, after it all breaks apart and goes crawling off everywhere!

What you'll need:

1.5 inch styroball. (A 12 pack is a good idea, Craft Medley is the brand I used)
Canary Yellow craft paint
Leaf Green craft paint
Forest Green craft paint
Silver or gold 5mm thick wire
Black permanent Sharpie marker
Tissue (like kleenex)
Hot glue gun
Hair dryer
2 different sized paintbrushes (1 11, and a 4)

On to the Steps!!

Prep: Plug in the hot glue gun first!!

1. Take the size 11 paintbrush and the canary yellow craft paint, and paint most of the ball, where your fingers don't touch.

2. Before painting the rest yellow, blow dry what you've painted, that way you don't have to wait a while for it. Make sure to have it on LOW

3. Paint the rest of the ball yellow, and repeat with the blow dryer.

4. When the yellow is done, take the second paintbrush, the 4, and take the Leaf Green and paint in a circle.

5. Take the Forest green and paint lightly over the Leaf Green, then, afterwards, take the tissue and dab around the middle. Leaving the outside dark.

6. Once more, and last time, use the blow dryer to dry the paint.

7. In the middle of the painted green circle, use the Sharpie marker to create the pupil.

8. Now, cut the length you'll need of the wire to create the legs. Remember, part of the wire will go inside the ball, and it must bend. About 2.5 inches per piece might be good.

9. When cutting the pieces, make sure you have the first one you cut next to the new ones, so that they're all the same length. Nothing like the legs being all different lengths.

10. Bend all the pieces. Make sure you have a picture handy!! Make sure the two going in the front sit differently from the other two, as the go in the front.

11. Now that everything is together, seal it! Turn the tool upside down, holding the legs in place, and use a good dob of hot glue to hold the legs in place.

From there-on-out you can fix the legs as needed! Hope this is of any use to those of you who plan to cosplay Neuro and want to have Evil Friday for a prop!
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
TheElevatorGirl
More Epic-er than Awesome

I'm going to be cosplaying as Sai/X from MTNN, and I have a Yako and Neuro too.
I want to make the red box for Sai out of plexiglass painted in the middle with red, or his awesome swords from his fight with Neuro on the crane/building...but I want to finish the actual cosplay first.
But about the swords, what material should I make them out of? I'd need something lightweight considering he stabs them through his hands (I'll put them in between my fingers). Any suggestions?

2010:

Akon 21 - England (Arthur Kirkland), Axis Powers Hetalia.
TheElevatorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
MDA
Destiny Productions

For the swords that he used while they were fighting on the crane? Hmmm.... The only things that I can think of that may work are these: thin styrofoam (extremely lightweight, but can break easily unless strengthened with a polymer, i think that's what its called) or plywood thats been sanded along the edges so you don't hurt yourself with it.

Styrofoam probably can't be bought thin, you'd probably have to thin it down yourself somehow, so quarter inch thick plywood may be your best bet.
Unread 12-02-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
Frey
Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElevatorGirl View Post
I'm going to be cosplaying as Sai/X from MTNN, and I have a Yako and Neuro too.
I want to make the red box for Sai out of plexiglass painted in the middle with red, or his awesome swords from his fight with Neuro on the crane/building...but I want to finish the actual cosplay first.
But about the swords, what material should I make them out of? I'd need something lightweight considering he stabs them through his hands (I'll put them in between my fingers). Any suggestions?
Have you considered either balsa wood, or perhaps... this is my best suggestion...

varnished craft foam? It can be cut into any shape, it's able to be purchased in thin sheets, and if you varnish it, you can get it to a nice, lovely shine. When it's said and done, it will be light, and will NOT look like foam. :3

>>@ MDA: xD thanks for the tutorial! I'll be Neuro this year, so I may just have to try that, if I actually manage to finish my costume in time.

Though we're already planning on making a nomnom Neuro birdhead, and maybe some wing sleeves....

But this would be a much more affordable prop <3

.:: Kanda Yuu (D.Gray-man) ::.
.:: Emperor Kuzco (The Emperor's New Groove) ::.

Last edited by Frey : 12-02-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
o01101011
Just call me Digit

DX Don't use balsa, its waaaaaaaaaaay you fragile. And craft foam is far to floppy to look anything like a blade. Try looking around the forums, even in the tutorial sticky, as there are numerous sword and blade tutorials.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
fev
swirls while I swirl.

you wouldn't happen to have any pics of your wip by any chance? would be neat to visually see the stages

[size="1"]
| Facebook | Prop blog | Prop site
fev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
MDA
Destiny Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fev View Post
you wouldn't happen to have any pics of your wip by any chance? would be neat to visually see the stages
With the next one that I make I'll be taking pictures of the process. I may post a tutorial and take pics when I get to making Evil Javelin

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART