Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
sunnymrs.flower

Dress lolita for your body type

Alright Hi guys <3

I have a question that has been bothering me and a few of my friends.....

What lolita is best for What body type?
I myself have a body type i like to call an hourglass with a little to much sand. I have a very little waist when compared to the rest of my body. I also have a rather slim face. However my arms, thighs, chest, and butt are all quite QUITE full. My hips are a jaw dropping 46inches and my waist is only 34 (my chest 45 1/2) So as you can see....Im tricky to dress.

But this thread isnt just about me. Its for anyone who needs help and has asked at some point...

S.O.S. How do i dress this body?

Be it a babydoll style dress...?

or a tighter waist with a ruffled shirt?

a cupcake skirt?

a sundress style?

A bustle?

A sweetheart line?

A square cut?

off the shoulder?

Sleevless?

Puffed sleaves?

JSK?

kimono style?

or a skirt shirt combo....

How can girls (and boys) of diffrent body types be sure to dress the best to achieve that cute idea of innocent elegance for their lolita passion.

(This applies for heavier women, super skinny women, men, short people, tall people, busty women, ladies with a fuller bottoms....the list goes on and on.)

Last edited by sunnymrs.flower : 11-05-2010 at 12:53 PM.
sunnymrs.flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Meiki

I have a fairly hourglass figure, and I think the body type suits lolita pretty well. There are a couple of things to be aware of though. The size of your hips and butt really don't matter that much, lolita skirts are so full and purposefully poofy that any size will fit really.

Dressing for body types in lolita is pretty similar anywhere else other than that though. I'm pretty busty, so I avoid high-waisted dresses because they're just not as flattering on me as smaller chested girls. If you have broad shoulders and feel a little silly in super poofy sleeves, OPs might be the way to go, they tend to have less poofy sleeves and can be worn without a blouse. If you're not busty, big things like bows and things look nice in that area, but try to avoid anything huge there if you're already well-endowed. There are lots of good ways to emphasize a small waist, a corset-style topped skirt, a large belt, etc.

Really though, there is one shape for lolita, it's just deciding on the details that matter. Experiment with what looks best on you either in your normal wardrobe or with lolita, and stick to it.

I might mention though, that some of the things you listed aren't really involved with lolita fashion. I've rarely seen a V-neck or off the shoulder lolita dress. Plus, some things aren't really much of an option, puffy skirts and sleeves are basically standard. I also have no idea what you mean by "sundress style" or "tank top style sleeves" I assume that's referring to jsks? You might want to do a little more research.
Unread 11-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
sunnymrs.flower

Well when i say a sun dress style i mean something like this

http://www.fanplusfriend.com/servlet...-Sailor/Detail
or
http://www.fanplusfriend.com/servlet...e-Waist/Detail

when i say off the shoulder i mean something like this

http://www.fanplusfriend.com/servlet...-Corset/Detail

and yea i was talking about the jumper style haha <3
as i afore stated im new to lolita

Also let me revise my statmet about a V
what i meant to say was a sweetheart neckline. I just couldnt think of the word lol sorry <3

And though i do respect your opinion i must respectfully disagree. I think that there are many diffrent types and styles of lolita.

I very strongly feel that there are many diffrent ways to dress a body in this fashion aside from the classic icon image of a cupcake skirt and a ruffled shirt.

for example: this is a babydoll top style dress. loose skirt. no waist definition. It also has a square cut neck, probably best for less busy girls. It could be good for girls with a bigger mid section since it wont highlight that area.
this paired with some pearls, a white cardigan, some tights/cute socks, marry janes, and a parisol....
http://www.fanplusfriend.com/servlet...e-Waist/Detail

vs.

example: This is a gothic dolly dress with a small skirt and decent waist definition. It has a high swoop neck line with a big bow, again not best for busty girls. Better for a girl with a smaller figure.
this with a little hat, some tiny gloves, a choker, some ruffled socks and baby doll boots...
http://www.fanplusfriend.com/servlet...--Black/Detail

vs.

example:This has heave waist definition, a very puffy skirt, and a high cut square neckline w/out to many bows. Probably better for a busy girl with a tiny waist and a curvy figure.
this with a huge bow, lots of jewlery, printed stockings and some cute shoes with bows...
http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Di v

but i mean maybe im not seeing it right?

Please feel free to correct me. I really want to learn. <3
Unread 11-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
PoodleBoy

I am male and crossdress in sweet lolita style very often. Im fortunate in that I was blessed (well some guys may consider it a curse!) with a slender, androgynous shaped body. Lolita works great for guys like me because of the previously mentioned way the skirts and sleeves are usually quite puffy. This helps hide the normally straight curve-less shape of most guys' bodies. But Ive seen ALL types of body shapes (female and male) do lolita and as long as they stick to the rules, it all looks pretty nice actually. (PS: I HATE guys who attempt to dress lolita with a goatee and facial hair!!! UGGGH!)
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
divine_fanaticy

If you have a thin waist, I recommend something with a fitted waist or even a corset or waist cincher look. This is an asset and you want to show it off. Even though it's lolita and it doesn't seem like you'd want to necessarily be attractive in the sexy sense, a mature fitted style of classic, aristocrat, or even BtSSB-style sweet would be very flattering, in my opinion. You probably don't want to wear a gathered bust or a bow on the chest because it would add bulk to your chest and look awkward. The main things you should focus on when choosing appropriate dress are your waist, bust, shoulders, and neckline (usually round, square, or a variety of collars).

"Babydoll" or empire-waist dresses are, as Meiki says, probably best for less-curvy girls because they can create an illusion of being bustier, or else they can be misconstrued as maternity garments. I think for some people they can be hit-or-miss.

As Meiki said, the details of an outfit are what would be chosen to fit a person's body type. They follow the same rules as any other style of dressing for your body type, but within lolita parameters. I recommend looking for a general "dressing for your body type" resource to reference from. Consider that rules about shoulderpads also apply to puffy sleeves. You will not find plunging necklines in lolita unless you are wearing a vest over a blouse; the closest you might get is a little decolletage. Again, focus on the upper part of your body, because the skirt shape will be the same.

One of my favorite resources is a book called Color Me Beautiful. Unfortunately I don't have it with me right now so I don't know the author.

I am guessing the "tank top style sleeves" (sleeveless) and "sundress style" apply to JSKs, which are intended to be worn with a blouse underneath or with a coordinating bolero/jacket, but sometimes people wear them alone in hot weather. You will probably only find off-the-shoulder items in "cosplay lolita" unless it's an experienced girl making an outfit that isn't strictly within the conventions of the lolita fashion.
divine_fanaticy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
sunnymrs.flower

Thank you all for such wonderful feedback

To Meiki Let me clarify lol
I couldnt think of the word when i said a V cut neck line. What i should have said was a sweetheart neckline <3 Also i totally agree with what you said about the baby doll dress type being worn for a girl with a small bust. Also do you think this would be a good option for a girl with a larger middle thin legs and a small bust? It seems like it would be flattering because it would not hug her most unflattering section while still showing off how slender her legs are. Or do you think this would not turn out so well? <3

To Poodleboy
I couldnt agree more! I think that the dress shape you spoke about is PERFECT for male lolitas. It also seems like a good fit for a very a skinny lady. However i have a question...do you think this style of dress would be just as flattering on a full figured woman? To me it seems like it would because it hugs the smallest part of you....but from past experience a full skirt is a bad move on a very full girl. It makes her bottom look 5 times the size it really is. What do you think about a slightly poofed A-line option instead for a girl with my figure?

To Divine_Fanaticy
Thank you for the wonderful ideas. However do you think that there might be a way to show off my wasit without looking to "sexy" This tends to happen to me even in the styles you mentioned because it just makes my chest look bigger I really want to grab the essence of the fashion. A dress that is smallest in the waist is really cute on a girl without terribly obvious curves.....and i mean like TERRIBLY obvious lol. However on a girl like me it makes me look a little to...suggestive.... TT.TT

And to all Im sorry about my poor word use. I am new to this fashion and i didnt really know all the terms. I will change that now <3

Also i have seen a few off the shoulder lolita dresses...they were modeled after the old southern bell style lol. They were quite beautiful and i just thought maybe it would be an interesting and flattering option for girls with very small upper halves who wanted to add some volume while still looking dainty. And as for sundress style I was refering to a few lolita dresses i have seen that really have a very small poof to them and give off a light "sundress" feel to them. I thought that might be an attractive option for a girl with bigger hips who doesn't really want to make them look bigger.

Last edited by sunnymrs.flower : 11-05-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Unread 11-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Tonksie

First of all, I love your description of "An hourglass with a little too much sand". Hilarious! I'm going to start describing my figure as "An hourglass where the sand is all in the bottom", as I'm very much pear shaped (36/27/42- that's right my hips are over a FOOT bigger than my waist >.<). I'm also pretty tall, 5'9", and have very broad shoulders. This makes my figure ridiculously hard to fit and flatter.

I'm still a noob at dressing lolita, so my comments are more general.
First: Make sure everything fits perfectly. This is the best way to flatter your figure. If it's too big, it'll make you look bulky, and if it's too small it'll make you look like you're busting out. It's nice because a lot of the places you can buy lolita, you can have things specifically made to your measurements (AWESOME).

I completely agree with everyone about the empire waist/babydoll dress. I never understood why this is recommended so often for people with large hips. It makes them look super bottom heavy instead of showing off the good portions of their figures. I boggle every time a magazine suggests this.

I like lolita because it seems to me like a fashion that can flatter almost any body type. I think with your figure, you can do almost any type of dress, as long as it fits perfectly and you feel comfortable in it. Even though I have big hips, I like lolita because the poofier skirts actually somewhat camouflage that fact as having a lot of volume in that area is kind of the point. No one can tell if it's your hips or your petticoat! WIN.

"However do you think that there might be a way to show off my wasit without looking to "sexy" even in the styles you mentioned because it just makes my chest look bigger I really want to grab the essence of the fashion. A dress that is smallest in the waist is really cute on a girl without terribly obvious curves.....and i mean like TERRIBLY obvious lol. However on a girl like me it makes me look a little so...suggestive.... TT.TT"
I do not believe the point of lolita is to hide your curves or have a small chest. I don't see how accentuating a small waist makes you look suggestive. So your chest looks bigger? Not a huge deal as long as you're following the rules of the fashion, your clothes fit well and look well made and you're not flashing tons of skin. By not having a fitted waist, it will make you look blocky and will make your clothes look ill-fitting.

My only other thought on the matter is that with arms that are bigger (like mine), stay away from cap sleeves, 'tank tops' etc. Puffy sleeves are not great for wide shoulders, but I think they're flattering on bigger arms. I think sleeves on bigger arms are most flattering if they extend at least to a little less than halfway.
Tonksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Mrs31

Wonderful thread!please keep it going! I have been looking for a thread like this forever!
I have a very bad figure. My mid section is huge u.u its not pretty at all. Dresses that are smallest in the waist make me look like I'm busting out of it! What do I do?
Also my sister has a large butt and the skirt makes her look so wide! Not flattering! Is there really such a thing as an A-line with a puff to it in lolita and would that really look better on her?
Again great thread!!
Mrs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
sunnymrs.flower

To Tonksie:
LOL thank you <3 that is what my body shape looks like to a "T". And also i think you should starting describing your body that way. It sounds much cuter than saying you have a pear shape. <3 Also thank you for the tip about sleeves. I will definatly apply that. And finally I know that lolita isnt about hiding your curves. You dont wanna look like a 2 year old girl dressed up to got to chruch.....but for me since i wear a D cup.....>.> it can get awkward. I feel like im dressed up in a very negitive way when i wear the cupcake skirt lolita. And the reactions i get from men COMPLETLY go against trying to look modest. I get more whistles and "hey babys" when im in lolita then when im in just a normal skirt. I really just want to look pretty.....and not "sexy"
OH and may i ask how you dress your height? My girlfriend wants to get into lolita but shes 5'10 and really doesnt know where to start <3 thank you

To Mrs31:
Hmmm i have been playing around with the idea of a baby doll dress being flattering on a girl with a bigger middle. My logic is this, Other fashion rules in other diffrent styles say that that form of dress will highlight your slender arms, and legs, while not showing off your problem area. I really think you should give a baby doll lolita a go.

this is an example of a babydoll dress:

http://innocent-w.jp/shopping/104608/index_e.html

And to your sister I FEEL YOUR PAIN! I know what you mean about a full skirt and i totally agree. I feel like a huge monster when i wear them. However yes there is such a thing as an A-line with puff to it, and as you know (again in fashion) an A-line is the perfect shape for a girl with a bigger bottom half.

this is an example of a slightly more A-line dress

http://innocent-w.jp/shopping/101701/index_e.html

I hope i was able to help you both <3 Keep posting <3

And to everyone i want to just clarify that this thread is for EVERYONE to post any of their lolita issues as far as sizing and fit goes. If your having problems finding something that will look good on your body shape just ask for advice. Im sure some of the more experienced Lolitas will be happy to help you out. <3e:

Last edited by sunnymrs.flower : 11-05-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Unread 11-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
Tonksie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymrs.flower View Post
To Tonksie:
LOL thank you <3 that is what my body shape looks like to a "T". And also i think you should starting describing your body that way. It sounds much cuter than saying you have a pear shape. <3 Also thank you for the tip about sleeves. I will definatly apply that. And finally I know that lolita isnt about hiding your curves. You dont wanna look like a 2 year old girl dressed up to got to chruch.....but for me since i wear a D cup.....>.> it can get awkward. I feel like im dressed up in a very negitive way when i wear the cupcake skirt lolita. And the reactions i get from men COMPLETLY go against trying to look modest. I get more whistles and "hey babys" when im in lolita then when im in just a normal skirt. I really just want to look pretty.....and not "sexy"
OH and may i ask how you dress your height? My girlfriend wants to get into lolita but shes 5'10 and really doesnt know where to start <3 thank you
It sounds like you're doing everything right, and the guys are just being jerks . I think it probably has more to do with the fact that dressed in lolita you're going to get more attention since you don't blend into the norm, and for some unknown reason people think that if you look different, it gives them a right to let their opinions known.

Dressing my height is on the difficult side. First of all, I generally have to get my skirts in custom lengths, since the normal 18"-20" length is too short, especially with a petticoat. Dresses can be hard to fit right too, since my overall body is longer. A lot of time the waist ends up about 3 inches higher than is should and looks really awkward. I generally avoid OPs and JSKs and go with skirts/shirts. I also tend to avoid high waisted skirts (even fitted ones) as it puts a lot on the bottom and not nearly as much on top and makes me look unbalanced.

I tend to stick with low heeled mary janes, since the rocking horse shoes and other platform type shoes look really odd when they make me 6'+ tall.

I find that with my height, I look better in classic styles vs. sweet styles. This is just my personal opinion, but I feel like with my height sweet just looks a little silly, and classic compliments it much better.
It's also harder to find socks the right length. Knee length socks tend to be more about mid-shin socks, and over the knee socks end right at my knee. I tend to buy over the knee socks, thigh highs (which mostly just look like tights) or tights in order to get the right look.

Hope that helps your friend!
Tonksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
sunnymrs.flower

Thank you so much im sure that will! Those were alot of wonderful tips. She really kinda flet like she couldnt dress in that style at all, which made me sad. I'll be sure to pass all that information on <3

Also that you for the advice. Your probably right. I shouldn't let it bother me. As soon as i get the rest on my newest lolita i will post a photo here and get some feedback about if the sizing looks right. Again thanks so much <3
Unread 11-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I always feel like I have such a hard time with Lolita because I am VERY busty.I've been as large as a 34D depending on the brand....No it's not as fun as you might think O_< it really limits how comfortable I feel in clothing. From regular wear to cosplay to lolita.

So for the second lolita dress I've bought I got that one because the back was stretchy with ribbons that adjust to give me more bust space...I could also stand to loose a tad of weight as it is. So I am hoping that will help too.

I also found that I look better in slightly more 'grown up' styles than very babydoll young girl looking so I went for that tea party looking dress that has the stretchy back bits and ribbon. The bow on the strap is detachable and I am planning on pinning it on a headband instead...just to take away a little more from my bust since there's already a small bow on that front lacing part.

So if you've got a bigger bust or carry a bit more weight I hope that helps a little, it's just some solutions I've found that help me out.

Really I LOVE and adore lolita fashion but have no real place to wear it besides a convention @_@ since it's not something I would wear normally and I have to constantly slap myself on the wrist to stop from buying copious amounts of expensive clothing I wont hardly wear!
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
sunnymrs.flower

To Lithium Flower:

Thank you. That really does help alot. I didnt even think about the possiblity im sure that will help TONS!
That dress is seriously beautiful!!! Im sure it looks stunning on.
And as for the grown up vs. Baby doll thing Im sure your right about that too but *siiiigh* I LOVE the sweet/baby doll look. However the more adult look does really look much better on me as well rather than the more childish look.

Thank you for all your input <3 It was really helpful.
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymrs.flower View Post
Well when i say a sun dress style i mean something like this

http://www.LUMBERJACKED!.com/servlet...-Sailor/Detail
or
http://www.LUMBERJACKED!.com/servlet...e-Waist/Detail

when i say off the shoulder i mean something like this

http://www.LUMBERJACKED!.com/servlet...-Corset/Detail

and yea i was talking about the jumper style haha <3
as i afore stated im new to lolita

Also let me revise my statmet about a V
what i meant to say was a sweetheart neckline. I just couldnt think of the word lol sorry <3

And though i do respect your opinion i must respectfully disagree. I think that there are many diffrent types and styles of lolita.

I very strongly feel that there are many diffrent ways to dress a body in this fashion aside from the classic icon image of a cupcake skirt and a ruffled shirt.

for example: this is a babydoll top style dress. loose skirt. no waist definition. It also has a square cut neck, probably best for less busy girls. It could be good for girls with a bigger mid section since it wont highlight that area.
this paired with some pearls, a white cardigan, some tights/cute socks, marry janes, and a parisol....
http://www.LUMBERJACKED!.com/servlet...e-Waist/Detail

vs.

example: This is a gothic dolly dress with a small skirt and decent waist definition. It has a high swoop neck line with a big bow, again not best for busty girls. Better for a girl with a smaller figure.
this with a little hat, some tiny gloves, a choker, some ruffled socks and baby doll boots...
http://www.LUMBERJACKED!.com/servlet...--Black/Detail

vs.

example:This has heave waist definition, a very puffy skirt, and a high cut square neckline w/out to many bows. Probably better for a busy girl with a tiny waist and a curvy figure.
this with a huge bow, lots of jewlery, printed stockings and some cute shoes with bows...
http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Di v

but i mean maybe im not seeing it right?

Please feel free to correct me. I really want to learn. <3
Okay wow I totally didn't see this part of the post until just now haha. Oops.

Yeah, both of those are just jumperskirts. The off the shoulder one is actually I think just a cape and a skirt on a mannequin, I've only ever seen one or two lolita dresses that are off the shoulder before.

If my previous post implied that I didn't think you could dress for different figures I apologize, what I meant was that there's a limited range of silhouettes to work from. You basically can't wear lolita without a petticoat of some sort, it's an essential part of the shape of the dresses. Therefore, it's best to focus on the details of the cut and decorations on a dress or skirt to work with your body type.
Unread 11-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
sunnymrs.flower

To Meiki
Its okay it didnt actually post at first for some odd reason lol.

And about the off the shoulder one, you're right lol. My apologies. It was a shawl and a skirt I read it incorrectly <3

And yes I do agree about the limited range thing...its just as im sure you know, sometimes when people get into lolita they will buy a dress or a skirt and shirt combo just because they think it looks pretty on a size 2 mannequin....however when it gets to them they become less than pleased with the way it fits on their body.

I guess I just wanted a thread where people could ask for help before spending a large sum of money on something that might not look good on them. Something as small as saying "Try to avoid puffed sleeves" or "Go for the A-line" would be really helpful to people like myself.

Im still fairly new to the hobby so I was looking for a little bit of guidance.

does that make sense?