Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 09-29-2002, 11:04 PM   #1
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

Swords, staves, martial arts...don't you just LOVE weapons? ^_^

As the title implies ^^ don't ya love em? well for me I'm pretty big fanatic of weapons of al ltypes.. with the exception of guns ^^:; I'm not big on them. But my specality is Japanese swords and lots of other hand-held weaponry ^_^.

I have about 5 blades at home.. all cheaply produced in China or Taiwan ^^;; but I make good practice with each of my swords, mom says its' a waste of money and it's bad luck to have a blade in the house...^^;; I find it lots of fun and soemthign comfy to have around ^^.

Unread 09-29-2002, 11:07 PM   #2
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

As a kendoka, I use weapons as a tool. I'm not crazy about them for their own sake. No weapon is worth anything unless you know how to use it.

www.suspiciouscloset.com

Last edited by Koumori : 09-30-2002 at 10:02 PM.
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 11:10 PM   #3
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

I just love the history behind weapons..what they were used for ..tehir forms and whatnot... I guess it's jsut one of my bigger hobbies..^^;; weapon forms in marital arts look damn cool ^^.
Unread 09-29-2002, 11:17 PM   #4
Mara

I definitely agree,,, I don't like guns, but swords are so cool. One of the reasons I love watching Rurouni Kenshin is for the cool weaponry everyone whips out... Sanosuke's zanbatou is the best. ^____^ and even though it adds extra talking to battle scenes, I love how they explain the process and effect behind the attacks in Kenshin,,, know what I mean?

I admit I know almost nothing about swords outside of anime knowledge... someday I want to learn kenjutsu, but I'm in Chicago, and as far as I know, there isn't a kenjutsu dojo anywhere near here. Do you take any martial arts classes, Kenshin Ken?

-Mara
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 11:21 PM   #5
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

the only formal trainign I've had in the past by an actual " class" was white crane kung fu at the age of 4.. but I was only in it for a few months and my mom pulled me out because the fee got expensive ( my family wasn't very rch then) from there on I learned stuff on and off from family and friends.

Currently I'm learning some Jeet Kun Do at a studio with some old friends. As for trainign with weapons ^^ I haven't ahd any formal schooling in those either... I learn things by experiance and some common snese... coruse I haven't trested it out on actual PEOPLE yet ^^;; but I have used falling fruits...boards, bamboo sticks and trees ( my first wepaon was a bokken.. and that lasted for 2 months before it broke ^^;; )
Unread 09-29-2002, 11:26 PM   #6
Dragoon Knight
The Lonely Knight

well..sometimes training on your own is good. I've learned up to a level of using nunchuku's, as far as a sword goes....just hackin and swinging ^^;; currently learning the staff/spear, and some martial arts. Only took some back when I was 7-8 years old.
Unread 09-30-2002, 12:03 AM   #7
ChenCzen

i took kung fu when i was younger. i admire the beauty of swords, but i wouldnt use one. i dont want to cut into anyone. blades arent for me.
ChenCzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 12:13 AM   #8
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

I'm currently taking isshin-ryu karate as my college gym class. bout time I did some official martial arts class, heh.
I want to teach myself some kind of sword art, kendo or something, so I can use this katana properly...
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 12:15 AM   #9
Kamui Motoaki
Edge Master of FOOD ^_^

wushu!
karate!
TKD!
Kempo!
Ju-Jutsu!

put them all together.. and you get . . . a hero!
*LOL* BWA HAHAHA. . >HA>A>. .. .
i wish. ..
Kamui Motoaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 12:20 AM   #10
pakachu420
Hurraaay Beer!!!!

i love martial arts and weapons of all types. i've taken Aikido for about as long as i can remeber(unfortunatly i've gotten kinda bored with it), naginata(yeah i know originally it was a womens martial art buts fun and a good way to meet women. ^_^)

i have a .22 mag at home and i want a couple more guns. i personally have no problem with guns. like any "dangerous" weapon they are safe as long as u respect them and treat them like a weapon. the only problem i have with guns is they are too easy for retards to get their hands on and do stupid shit. i think that there should at least be a firearm safety class/test required when buying a gun kinda like when u get youre drivers license.

pakachu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 12:24 AM   #11
ChenCzen

i dont think the big problem with gun control are the registered owners of firearms... if you see where im going with this...
ChenCzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 12:32 AM   #12
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

*doesn't really want to get into a gun-control debate and hopes no one else chooses to. . . *

I have a shinai, which I bought for Kaoru's costume; I got a three-minute kendo lesson from a girl at AX. ^^ I'd like to take a martial art, but, I don't know which one . . . I also have some antique sword pieces, crud what are they called . . . the guard and hilt cap, plus the decorative pieces which go under the wrapping of the sword. GRAH I can almost remember the words but not quite. I'm very attached to them, anyway, I'd love to have the guard and hilt cap on a sword replica someday . . .

And, Mara, I believe that the . . . err Japanese Cultural Club has kendo classes. They built a facility on . . . err . . . I think it's route 12? (Is horrific with road names) I can probably track down the info if you want a hand . . .
Unread 09-30-2002, 12:36 AM   #13
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

...I firmly believe in a 311 song... "Guns are for pussies". Heheh. They make it too easy to kill a person... It's like, boom, they're dead. Where's the fun in that?

....wow, that musta sounded reaaally sadistic o_o;;;

*runs and hides*
Unread 09-30-2002, 12:36 AM   #14
pakachu420
Hurraaay Beer!!!!

sorry ^_^;;

so...who's down for sword control!!

pakachu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 12:38 AM   #15
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

No, no. Sword control isn't a problem. It'd be unnecessary
Too few people know how to use them properly enough to kill a person.
But I reiterate about guns... anybody can use one, and it's just too easy.