Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 09-30-2002, 01:46 AM   #16
ChenCzen

actually, that brings up a little gun/sword history right there.

many people believe the portugese 'introduced' japan to firearms.

japan had a law against guns long before they were 'introduced'. why did it have a law against something people claim they didnt know about?

guns are for pussies.

cause the ruling power didnt want joe-anybody to be able to use force, and in large numbers oppose them, unless they were trained fighters. make part of becoming a trained fighter the instilling of a loyalty-to-the-death mentality only to the local ruler, and your reign is secure.
ChenCzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2002, 01:48 AM   #17
pakachu420
Hurraaay Beer!!!!

well... if u wanna bring a sword to a gun fight... be my guest

i figure guns are here to stay whether we like it or not.
dont get me wrong, i almost wish guns were never invented. but since they not going anywhere i figure i might as well learn to use one properly so as to defend myself and my family.

pakachu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 09:46 AM   #18
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

I like bladed weapons from a purely artistic point of view, as they are lovely to behold.

I tend to be a fan of European swords, especially broadswords, but also have a soft spot for rapiers because of their sheer elegance. The ones I own are all Spanish steel and imported from Spain, although I would love to get my hands on a French musketeer-rapier. (I'm horrible at sword names in English so bear with me)

Asian swords never really inspired me much, though.
Unread 09-30-2002, 12:03 PM   #19
Sami
» star*stealing girl

I think swords are pretty. *_* I have one (a katana) that's of decent quality, but other than that it's look and not touch. I only know how to use it mediocre...ly...

The only weapon I can really use with some sort of skill are nunchakus; I have some clear epoxy (methinks) ones with blue stripes inside that are neat. ^_^ I had to learn them on the side though because the martial art I took (Taekwondo) is a weaponless art.. but it was worth it. Aa, I wish I could go back to my dojo.. ;_;... *reminisce*

sen - ti - ment - has - got - me - feelin'!
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 12:10 PM   #20
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> The only weapon I can really use with some sort of skill are nunchakus

I used to fence, but, alas, I gave it up a number of years ago.
I keep on telling myself I should start again, but I am such a couch potato that I prefer to watch others fence rather than attempt it myself.

There is something elegant and cat-like about European fencing.
Having distilled the edge of danger and turning it almost into a sort of dance, full of pure, simple lines, and intricate weaving of steel, punctuated only by soft footfalls, made it one of the sports I most enjoy watching.

I miss not having cable sometimes. ;__;
Unread 09-30-2002, 12:46 PM   #21
engrish

Quote:
Originally posted by Oshi
...I firmly believe in a 311 song... "Guns are for pussies". Heheh. They make it too easy to kill a person... It's like, boom, they're dead. Where's the fun in that?

....wow, that musta sounded reaaally sadistic o_o;;;

*runs and hides*
I actually have a slight fascination with the art of using a sniper rifle. The idea of taking someone down without having them being able to see you may be considered cowardice to some. Ohhh well I guess I will never make a good Klingon.

btw I recommend the movie "Enemy at the Gate" .... deciet, camaflouge, patience, and accuracy never looked so good
Unread 09-30-2002, 01:20 PM   #22
Sami
» star*stealing girl

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosiel
I used to fence, but, alas, I gave it up a number of years ago.
Ahh! Fencing!! I think that would be such a cool thing to try.. it's such a beautiful art.. *can't help but think of Juri and Miki from Utena now, LOL* I really wanted to throughout college, but there weren't really any places around that offered it. Meh.

sen - ti - ment - has - got - me - feelin'!
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 02:22 PM   #23
pakachu420
Hurraaay Beer!!!!

fencing is preetty cool.
My college has a fencing class that im thinking about taking next semester.

*thrust, thrust, parry gets stabbed in eyeball*

my eyeball!!
*winey little kid voice*

pakachu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 02:33 PM   #24
Demented Otaku
Board Wanderer

You should all read my sig.
Demented Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 02:54 PM   #25
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

mm I preffer Asian swords compared to European weapons. To me the beauty is more than the artistic look of the weapon. It's also the history and background of it.

I find japanese blades to be very fascinating... traidionally they're folded hundered to thoushands of times. It wasn't until I went to a sword exhibit stand during the Cherry Blossom festival that the thousnads of folds apply to just one TYPE of steel,( katanas have a certian anatomy of steel folds and cores varying in styles)

I give European swords props for being made of fine grade steel, Broadswords, claymores, rapiers, epees. They're all very nice, but I'm nto fully for em. If I remember correctly, most large blades were made blunt so that they could slash and peirce through armor without cracking the blade.

Rapiers I belive are different, as with sabres and the other light-weight blades. I preffer kenjitsu or iado since I like the stance, angles to forms of attack. Fencing's posture seems to aim more for fine honed accuracy, which works best for the weapon...

That's jsut my two cents for now ^^.
Unread 09-30-2002, 02:58 PM   #26
Neko Cathy

Screw having swords and guns... I got a 70 lb hunters bow that shoots arrows right through the ***king fence. It's strength causes the arrows to tears right into the wood and out and all you hear is this loud BANG. So I have to go to an Archery gallery to shoot my arrows w/ that bow. I also have a 20 lb practice bow too and the arrows dent up the fence.

The recent weapon I bought was this Japanese sword.. it's slightly shorter than a Katana... I forget the name for it, but one of my friends told me that it's only good for defending.

Kung fu kicks ass. My instructor was nice enough to teach me partically how to handle a staff. I used to take it until I broke my arm.

And yes, Legolas has taught me a lot of neat tricks in archery, even though I have done it since I was 11.
Neko Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 03:41 PM   #27
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> If I remember correctly, most large blades were made blunt so that they could slash and peirce through armor without cracking the blade.

It all depended on the type of sword, if it was for hacking or piercing or... but the important part is what the weapon was designed to fight, a charging steel-clad knight on horeseback requires a different approach than someone on foot who has to carry his own weight (and hence can't wear as much plating).

Weapons are adapted to their use.

I just find European weapons lovelier from an aesthetic point of view. But that is purely subjective, just like I prefer French Court 17th century guarb to Asian Court guarb of the same era. ^___^

It's also the culture behind the artifacts, it seems, that you feel more connected, or less connected, to. Because behind those weapons, there is a philosophy, a way of thinking. No matter how much I read about Asia, I am profoundly European, and European artifacts, stories, architecture touch me more.

(Or it could be my French blood reminding me I'm supposed to think we're better than everyone else. LOL.)

> Rapiers I belive are different, as with sabres and the other light-weight blades.

Most of the light flexible blades are used to pierce not slice. With such a blade you run through your enemies. ^___^

> I preffer kenjitsu or iado since I like the stance, angles to forms of attack.

I could never get into kendo or anything of the sort because of one element which rubbed me the wrong way: the noise.

I like fighting in silence, hearing only soft footfalls and the clashing of blades. I can't take seriously people who scream and stamp their feet in something that has evolved beyond killing into a sort of dance.

(I understand the necessity on the battlefield though.)
Unread 09-30-2002, 05:17 PM   #28
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

mm ^^ the noise is much needed in kendo or kenjitsu, foot stamping and yells are all part of the style.

However there are other styles to take note of... I 've forgotton what the name of the swordsmanship is used for the tai chi sword, but that style deosn't involve much heavy footwork, it jsut involves alot of agility, grace, and in a sense finesse. ( it can look alot like a dance itself too if you give or take a few looks at a few demonstrations*

I can't get into fencing myself too much... probably becuase I only tried it once and I had this awful instructor that was pretty snobbish and offy...but that's just him.. I'd probably get into it more if I found somone better ^^.

>It's also the culture behind the artifacts, it seems, that you feel more connected, or less connected, to. Because behind those weapons, there is a philosophy, a way of thinking. No matter how much I read about Asia, I am profoundly European, and European artifacts, stories, architecture touch me more.

(Or it could be my French blood reminding me I'm supposed to think we're better than everyone else. LOL.)

I could agree with ya alot there ^^. methink you n me are jsut opposites ehn it coems with this matter ^^. but I like your view on this too ^^.
Unread 09-30-2002, 06:32 PM   #29
The Moe
Just Another Somebody

>I used to fence, but, alas, I gave it up a number of years ago.

I tried fencing once!! ^_^ It's Marylands state sport beleive it or not. (That and jousting).

And Kenny! you and your swords! I swear! We are so different ^_^ Shoot, dang....give me a gun and I'll be happy~!

You see...when I come and live with you in California...Imma kick you out of your room and you're gonna sleep on the couch....and your swords are going with you.....o.o

I wanna move to Cali....
Unread 09-30-2002, 06:47 PM   #30
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

Quote:
Originally posted by Neko Cathy
Screw having swords and guns... I got a 70 lb hunters bow that shoots arrows right through the ***king fence. It's strength causes the arrows to tears right into the wood and out and all you hear is this loud BANG. So I have to go to an Archery gallery to shoot my arrows w/ that bow. I also have a 20 lb practice bow too and the arrows dent up the fence.
Awwww yeah, my dad has a hunting bow, not sure how strong it is... I can't pull it back all the way, for one thing >.>;;
But it will shoot though a car door, and stick out of the other side....
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote