Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 09-30-2002, 11:09 PM   #31
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

Ooohoooo...anyone heard of the tesson? Yes! It's the chinese fighting fan that Mai uses. My personal favorite. Though the ones Mai uses aren't very realistic.

Unread 10-01-2002, 12:02 AM   #32
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

That's Tessen ^^; and usually that name implies to the Japanese folding fan. they're usualyl made of bamboo and favoured by some people to use as a parrying weapon...and a casual instrument of fashion.

CHiense fighting fans are MUCH different... they're streched with silk for the mateiral.. but are iron ribbed for fighting.
Unread 10-01-2002, 12:05 AM   #33
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

And Moe ^^ hehe now now..guns be guns.. sowrds be swords... it'll be hard for you to find EVERY swrod in my room cuase well hehe ^^ I have alot of em in there ^_^.

I end up sleeping on the floor alotta times anyhow hehe ^_^v
Unread 10-01-2002, 12:08 AM   #34
ChenCzen

the tessen was carried by samurai, because using his sword wasnt always a good idea. some were made to look like fans but were actually solid metal. when entering a home, you left your swords with the doorman, but you still needed to be able to defend yourself so a secondary weapon like the tessen was ideal. it became fashionable i read, and was even preffered over the sword in some instances. forget where i read this...
ChenCzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2002, 12:29 AM   #35
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

aahh I rmemeber that bit now ^^.

I remember one sotry that was told.. I forget the charaters names.. bvut the situation went liek this..

A diplomat of a opposing clan was coming over for a visit to this one lord's dwelling one day.

The Lord ordered the servents to slam the sliding doors hard and shut as soon as the diplomat came over to kneel and bow at the room before he would enter.

The diplomat came.. and the servents opened the slding doors ( take note that these doors slid aroudn pretty well.. and they were made of pretty heavy wood) The diplomat put his Tessen down spread open as he kneeled over to bow. and the Servents did as they were told... They slammed the doors shut as fast as they could.. however... The Tessen caught the doors and the doors simply rebounded off the Tessen.

I ehard this off of a few sites ^^.
Unread 10-01-2002, 12:36 AM   #36
ChenCzen

thats in a book or two ive read also.
Unread 10-01-2002, 12:44 AM   #37
engrish

Ever seen Sukeban Deka? I just love how that girl swings her yo yo to beat up the bad guys.
Unread 10-01-2002, 11:25 AM   #38
pakachu420
Hurraaay Beer!!!!

aw...fack, look what i started with the gun thing...oy...

swords: great from a artisttic point of view, but not to practicle for use in modern times.(bringing a sword to a gun fight)

guns: generally not to good artisticly, but u have a better chance of making it outta Compton with a gun than a sword

bows: can be very artistic, can be very practicle though range and reload time make the gun a bit more practicle in a battle situation.

given the choice i prefer some well planted high yield explosives ^_^y

j/k
where's the fun in that? beside watching stuff go boom.^____^;;

pakachu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2002, 01:43 AM   #39
officer_fujita

I also love weapons, especially those belonging to asian martial arts (not really because I think they're better than their western counterparts, I'm just more familiar with them, I guess). Although they are outdated and have little or no practical use in the present world (as compared to firearms), one could not help but admire the beauty and history behind them.

I have studied aikido for a short time, and now I'm studying kendo (I've been at it for almost two years now), so it's natural for me to choose the Japanese sword as my favorite weapon. Some exotic Chinese weapons also fascinate me, like the dual half-moons (I believe these were used in the movie "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"), the iron chain, and the tri-sectional staff.

Rosiel:
Shouting and stomping is an important part in kendo. To be able to score a point in kendo, the sword, mind, and body should be one. The kendo-ka must strike the target accurately (sword), shout his/her intended target (mind), and stomp his/her foot loudly(body). Without one of these, a kendo-ka will not be rewarded a point.

I also like European fencing (I was watching the finals in the Asian Games earlier), and I also admire fencers for their grace and cat-like agility.

http://oav.sinfree.net/
officer_fujita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2002, 01:27 PM   #40
battlechaser
hell incarnate

im kinda obsessed with swords. i was a varsity of european fencing back in college and i now practice japanese fencing (kendo). if im choosing a weapon, i prefer wielding a rapier. ^_^
battlechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2002, 01:36 PM   #41
pakachu420
Hurraaay Beer!!!!

i'll take a naginata

pakachu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2002, 01:38 PM   #42
ChenCzen

are we choosing swords now? in that case put me down for a 'drying pole'. i got the skills!
Unread 10-02-2002, 01:45 PM   #43
battlechaser
hell incarnate

hehehe... then let's go in an island then do the battle royale thingie with the weapons of our choice!
battlechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2002, 01:55 PM   #44
ChenCzen

a fight on an island eh?

'...there, on that island'

::thumbs his nose bruce lee style, then makes an extremely exaggerated hand motion::

'we can take this boat...'
Unread 10-02-2002, 03:35 PM   #45
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

hehe ^^ if we battle on ze island...I too shall join ^^ weilding the katana or whatever weapon I cna think of.