Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #31
Tiktock
Oh speak, guide me anew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I enjoy making complicated costumes by hand, and have occasionally done such crazy things as making my own socks because I really couldn't find anything that worked.
I don't think making your own socks is crazy, considering I knit them all the time. It's almost easier for me to knit socks if I need them in a certain color or design than to find them in a store, considering I have to get child's size socks so they actually fit.

Last edited by Tiktock : 03-28-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Tiktock is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2009, 01:41 AM   #32
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktock View Post
I don't considering making your own socks crazy, considering I knit them all the time. It's almost easier for me to knit socks if I need them in a certain color or design than to find them in a store, considering I have to get child's size socks so they actually fit.
Ah, well, I don't knit. I wish I did, I could make some awesome stuff for cosplay if I did. But I have to sew them. XD

And I'm like that with the fit of my underwear, but fortunately no one EVER would have cause to see whether or not it's accurate for the character. XD (Well... okay, in Franziska's case, there's the possibility of an accidental pantyshot, I suppose...)
Unread 03-28-2009, 02:13 AM   #33
Tiktock
Oh speak, guide me anew

I used to knit all the freaking time. Now most of it has been abandoned for cosplaying, but I pick up the needles every now and then. I actually used to hunt thrift stores for sweaters to unravel for cheapo yarn. Sometimes you can find needles there too. XD
Tiktock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 05:47 AM   #34
Ashton_Anchors
Queen of the abyss

I don't think there's anything wrong with using stuff bought at a thrift store. . Every costume I've ever worn was made using stuff I already owned, or purchased at a thrift store or bought directly from a store(only if absolutely necessary), so I don't think anything of it if other people do. To be, as long as it looks good, where it comes from doesn't matter.
Ashton_Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #35
Benihime78
The Fun-Sized One

Nope, not a problem at all- it seems like thrift shops/secondhand stores are magical treasure boxes for quite a few cosplayers since you never know what you're going to get and everything is oh-so-cheap. You can also find some harder-to-get items there that you might not be able to find in the stores as easily. Not to mention the fact that because everything is so cheap, you don't feel quite as bad when you cut it, paint it, hack it, sew it, burn it, tear it, or do anything else to it. This is probably going to sound really dumb, but I get all excited when I have to go to the thrift shop because I never know what kind of cool cosplay items I'm going to find for cheap- it's like Christmas XD. Last time I went, I got some white jeans that I could wear for Goku, a pleated white mini-skirt(actually it was a tennis skirt), and some white athletic shorts that I wound up turning into the mini-skirt for my Malin cosplay.

Next Con: ?????

My deviantArt
(feel free to add- I love seeing other people's work).
Disney Cosplay Tumblr-Follow and post!

Benihime78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #36
Fong
Quarter-circle, punch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
It's cheating if it's in a contest that doesn't allow it. Otherwise, it is ALLL GOOD. Goodwill has saved my ass on multiple occasions.

A lot of people overlook thrift stores as places to get fabric, too: mine, at least, has a lot of sewing stuff that people have donated including things like cloth and yarn and thread and the occasional specialized thing like embroidery hoops. And for mock-up fabric, I pretty much approach the entire bedding section as my personal warehouse.
I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT. You're a genius O.o

Yeah, I'm working on a closet cosplay right now, actually. Faith, from Mirror's Edge.

The only thing I'm not buying is the wig.

I also have to add white bias tape to the tank top, but I still bought the tank top nonetheless.

My Youtube Channel!

~*~ Katsucon 2013 Line-Up ~*~

~*~ Naoto Shirogane from Persona 4 ~*~
~*~Elizabeth from Persona 3 ~*~
~*~ Winter/Femme Fatale Cammy White from SF4 ~*~

~*~ Zenkaikon 2013 Line-Up ~*~

~*~ Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran High School Host Club ~*~
~*~ Shura Kirigakure from Ai No Exorcist ~*~
Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 02:25 AM   #37
chenmeicai
godDHEZ

I think it's all good unless you claim it as done by yourself.
I'd rather resort to the same option than having a lot of my stuff made by a tailor. It will just be more costly.
Unread 03-29-2009, 02:45 AM   #38
Kitsune-sama
The Hot Glue Queen

Like a lot of people, I practically LIVE in the thrift stores around where I live. I see so many pros to buying stuff from them. For example:

It's recycling clothing
You don't have to buy expensive fabric
It's already made
It's cheap

And while you might find things that are SEMI-inaccurate, so what? (I tend to settle if the inaccuracy isn't OMG OBVIOUS) And, although I've seemed to always buy from thrift stores, I would NEVER EVER EVER enter a contest with a thrift store cosplay UNLESS it was solely for a cosplay skit sort of reason, (where craftsmanship isn't judged, to basically play a part in the skit)
Kitsune-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #39
Sivan
Resident Pocky Miser

That's how I usually get stuff, because I can't sew and don't really have the time for it. I have no idea of to make anything, if I did I totally would but that's not the case. Plus, its so much cheaper too. I'm already paying for a ticket and hotel, why should I spend over $300 all together including a cosplay when I can get away with, like, $100 including the cosplay. Way too much money, it looks nice but I'd never use it again. Besides, if you know what you're doing you can make it work.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #40
Lady Saru
Marchesa delle Arte

Thrifting is fabulous.

I have a lot of amazing regular clothes and cosplay pieces from stores. (Where else can I get a red trenchcoat for $15?) Some of my cosplays are completely created from modified pieces (Grell Sutcliff), and as long as you don't do anything illegal or say you made it by hand, go for it.
Phantom!Grell Sutcliffe (Design by Dio)
Subaru [Tsubasa: Tokyo Revelations]

Events:
Fanime 2011

Unofficial twin of Sakurai Atsushi~
Lady Saru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #41
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
It's cheating if it's in a contest that doesn't allow it. Otherwise, it is ALLL GOOD. Goodwill has saved my ass on multiple occasions.

A lot of people overlook thrift stores as places to get fabric, too: mine, at least, has a lot of sewing stuff that people have donated including things like cloth and yarn and thread and the occasional specialized thing like embroidery hoops. And for mock-up fabric, I pretty much approach the entire bedding section as my personal warehouse.
Wow, I vote your Goodwill changes it's name to Amazingwill. o_0;; I've never found so much as a yard of fabric that wasn't made into a garment, upholstery, home decor, or bedding at mine... and I've scoured that place, trust me.

Anyway, I'm going to agree with Mangochutney on the contest thing. If it's a contest about craftsmanship and your entire/a lot of your costume is made up of slightly altered thrift clothes, it's cheating.

Thrift stores are my dear, dear friend, though... I basically buy every leather item in the store. xD That's how I found the base for my Tifa skirt. ^^;;
Unread 03-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #42
RadRage
Registered Crazy

Hah, thats all my Pegasus cosplay is.
I got a very nice Ralph Lauren red suit jacket at Value Village for 15 bucks...O_o

Hooray for thriftyness!
....is that a word.
RadRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #43
Sisshi
Sexy Leg Woman

My Shera costume is half Goodwil and half walmart. (Though I need a new shirt because you can see the flowery design of my bra through the one I have now)

I do usually buy and modify alot of my stuff. I've found that buying a dress or skirt that's a plain design and way to big makes for very nice fabric.
Animarathon: White Mage (Final Fantasy)
GarasuNoShiCon: Aranea (Homestuck)

My binding results with the Underworks compression shirt, Check it out ^^
Sisshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #44
CZor

Due to the fact I lack sewing skills and such I love to get stuff from thrift/Cheap clothing stores. Most of my costumes are from places like that!!
CZor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #45
ButterflyxBones
The Innocent Evil

I always go to the thift stores around where I live. I don't think its cheating. Who said there was a certain policy to how you design your cosplay? It would be lame like that.

I have a easier time modifying things I find then doing everything from stratch, I always have been that way. I still can sew but if I can find something that's similar & cheap, why not go for it?

I guess it would only be considered cheating if you claimed to "make" every bit of your cosplay & try to enter a contest.

Myspace
ButterflyxBones is offline   Reply With Quote