Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #76
stitchez

Planning on doing both Nice and Vino~ They're low priority on my list since I can just Goodwill for Vino (doing bloody rail tracer version) and for Nice I just need bulky gloves and to make the shirt and eyepatch - and get something for her scars.

My friends and I are planning on going to Knott's Berry Farm once all of us are done 8Db
  • Snake - Kuroshitsuji
  • Souda Kazuichi - SDR2
  • Carver Hawke - DA2
  • Bolin - LoK
ANIME CALIFORNIA 2014
  • Leon and/or Souda - DR/SDR2
  • ?????????
PMX 2014
  • Marco Bodtt - SNK
  • Secret Cosplay
  • something JoJo????
stitchez is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #77
wanderingdreamr
Needs to do more kniting

Still re-working my Carol dress (a note to the character designer, dresses in the 1920s did NOT have curves like that! Or at least not without a belt >.>) and I should have it done by Animazement in a few weeks. There might be a few other Baccano! cosplayers there and I'll try to get photos if I see them.
wanderingdreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #78
Z Bobob

I figured it was high time somebody actually found a pattern we non-drapers could use to make Baccano costumes After much searching I think I have found a couple of patterns that it would be possible to model Miria's dress after.

The basic one is Butterick pattern 6876, which you can see/buy for delivery at http://betsyvintage.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=8657. It has no slit or fancy sleeves but it's a good basic shape.

This one http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v107...hp?page_id=861 has a slit but it would be more difficult to modify it for the sleeves. You'd have to make the bodice taller as well which would be a bit of a pain potentially.

Then you'll just have to apply the circle frill/ruffle style mentioned above to get the skirt right.
Z Bobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #79
BetwixtReality

Just got in my wig for Claire, it's perfect! Which means it is basically all done! Only need to add the blood. Trying to decide what would be best cause I want it to really stay brilliant colored and not fade. Any suggestions?
BetwixtReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #80
glassbutterfly

Man, I love this series to death. I want to do Charon Walken, Tick Jefferson, Graham Specter (my fav), and Huey Laforet in the future. It just sucks I have no group as I wouldn't want to be a lone Baccano! cosplayer walking around the con >.>
glassbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #81
RobinDragonryde
Insane Psychopath.

BetwixtReality -- I asked this question a while back for Ladd. http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=201147 has some really awesome advice.
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #82
Inuki1

P.S. I have cosplayed Rail Tracer post-massacre before, as well as Two-Face, Zombies, and many other characters that involved blood.

Navigated is right that a straight-up application of stage blood is a bad idea because it is sticky/doesn't dry properly. That being said, Ben Nye or any other professional quality stage blood is still ideal, you just have to know how to use it in a more permanent fashion, which was something I came up with on my own when learning about various "corpsing" techniques (building corpse props, it's something horror designers and halloween prop creators do).

My suggestion for makeup is a mix of 50/50 stage blood & liquid latex. Obviously, you should do a liquid latex test on your skin first to make sure you are not allergic (not many people react badly to it though). Apply that to anywhere it will contact with skin. I suggest liquid latex because it is designed as a form of makeup which is meant to go on your skin. The liquid latex will keep the blood from sticking to everything and from getting onto other people's stuff. You can even coat it in an additional layer of liquid latex once it dries if you're really worried. Liquid latex dries clear so it should be fine.

For my Rail Tracer suit and for my Dune corpse prop, as well as for my Two-Face suit, and many many other cosplay/costume props and outfits I use a mix of 50/50 acrylic medium and stage blood. It is ideal for a more permanent and repeat usage because it will harden and no longer be sticky as well.

To be honest though, I've had my Claire suit for about 3 years and the blood is starting to darken a bit. But I did wear it pretty effectively to about 2-3 cons. And you could probably just reapply more coats of blood if you wanted to rewear with a fresher coat.

Here's a pic of my Rail Tracer (post-massacre Claire).

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3662/3...ab67b08e_o.jpg

Also, I do not recommend the suggested method of "filling a tub with blood... and jumping up and down". I do recommend using a bathroom or a bathtub. I believe I laid a bathroom floor with newspaper and then painted the suit and let each side dry before flipping. Bathroom tile or tub is best because it's easiest to clean... However! If you are a purist like me, Claire has a very specific blood spatter pattern which develops as the series goes on. I used all my reference pics from the confrontation between Ladd and Claire atop the Pussyfoot from what I recall.

You can see the scene here:

http://youtu.be/kRNwbo4gBRA?t=2m45s

I took numerous screen caps and then made sketches with pencil and paper to get the gist of where the blood spatters were so that I could replicate a similar blood spatter pattern, then I used paint brushes to apply the blood-acrylic mixture.

Sorry, but I do have to disagree with the "dripping handfuls over the cosplayer" and that "directionality doesn't matter". You could probably just cover it in blood, they're right... and nobody will know any different, but I really am neurotic and it has to be as close to perfect as possible for me.

Last edited by Inuki1 : 08-08-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Inuki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #83
RobinDragonryde
Insane Psychopath.

.....Holy poo your Claire is awesome. **flails**

*cough* Sorry, fangirl moment.
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #84
Inuki1

Somehow double-posted, read next post.

Last edited by Inuki1 : 08-08-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #85
Inuki1

There are a few more pics on my costume page, under both pre and post-massacre Claire but I have loads more I should get up one of these days, some of which were taken by other people and are scattered round the web.

During that shoot I had used nearly all my blood on the suit the night before (I only had 1 suit, so the pre-massacre Claire I cosplayed on the friday became the post-massacre Rail Tracer on the sunday, which meant staying up all night saturday after cosplaying Two-Face in order to paint the suit with blood and colour my hair from Two-Face's blonde to Claire's orange)... Long and short of it is, I ran nearly out of blood, which is why there isn't as much on my face and hands in all the pics as I'd have liked.

Pretty much every costume I've done since then has involved gore or blood in some form (Two-Face, Zombies, Evi Clowns, etc.), so I would say I am in a pretty good position to give advice on it. XD

As a random side note, you may also enjoy my Dune corpse prop. As far as I know, I'm the only Claire cosplayer to have a Dune Corpse prop. Again, I used endless screencaps to try to get it as close as possible. And I used the acrylic & stage-blood combo as well as acrylic paint on this one: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3623/3...a765cba9_o.jpg

Acrylic paint on your face is an absolute no-go. It is very dangerous. I have done it before even though I know better, but I applied it onto layers and layers of liquid latex and prosthetic, so it wasn't in direct contact with skin. If the makeup starts to break down and the paint sits on your face, however, it will damage your skin. You should really play it safe and stick to actual makeup like stage blood, grease paint, when possible.
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #86
RobinDragonryde
Insane Psychopath.

The Dune prop is /amazing/. Like, holy crap.

And I've used acrylic on my skin before with no problems. I think it might be an allergy thing.

I'd like to add that if you're using liquid latex + fake blood on your skin, try not to get it in your hair. Having cosplayed Nice, as well as several various zombies, I can attest that getting latex in hair HURTS.

ETA: Zombie: http://robindragonryder.tumblr.com/p...zombie-edition

Last edited by RobinDragonryde : 08-08-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: adding links to pics
RobinDragonryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #87
Inuki1

Thanks One day I'll get around to posting more pics on my Claire costume page. ¬_¬

Acrylic paint isn't meant for faces and it can clog your pores. It has a lot of potential to irritate it- I've worn makeups for over 6 hours no problem before, but one time I did it with a makeup that had acrylic paint on top and it began to irritate my skin a fair bit. I know that acrylic paint can be had for as cheaply as $1 a tube at a dollar store, but unless you're going to really carefully apply it over a prosthetic, it's really not recommended.

You can buy cheap grease paints or skin makeups at SFX Makeup & Costume Stores, and in this case... stage blood is pretty cheap and comes in huge containers that can be used again and again. Anyway, for Claire you want the blood to have some kind of transparency, which acrylic won't have unless you mix it with a lot of acrylic medium or liquid latex.

I completely agree with the liquid latex + hair thing. I always shave my face before applying liquid latex. It's best to style your hair first, or pull it back, or wear bald caps, etc. to avoid getting the latex in your hair.

Oh, and another thing. Rather than latex, another possibility for some longevity and less stickiness on a blood makeup is a sealer... Ben Nye makes something called Final Seal which you can apply over top of any make-up. It should give you another hour or two of makeup use... but keep it out of your eyes because it BURNS. I use it on almost all my makeups in addition to the liquid latex to seal everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptLEsnjoKY

Last edited by Inuki1 : 08-08-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #88
Inuki1

Oh yeah. One other little thing, in addition to the Baccano! chocolate bars PiggyNukka designed and made (mentioned earlier in this thread a few pages back), I had Flying Pussyfoot tickets that I designed based on real 1930's train tickets.

I just printed them out on paper and glued them to card stock. Just one of those little finishing touches that completes a Claire/Rail Tracer cosplay

Here is a fairly large version that can be printed on 8.5 x 11 printer paper. If you need to, you can resize on your computer. If for some ungodly reason, you need larger... just ask. I have the original .PSD file still.

http://imgur.com/HhecV
or http://i.imgur.com/HhecV.jpg (FAIRLY LARGE IMAGE!!!)
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #89
RobinDragonryde
Insane Psychopath.

.......I love you. So much. Right now. asd;lkjf Dangit now I need an excuse to cosplay Claire...... (I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to talk my Ladd and Lua into doing a shoot with me....) (Because one person TOTALLY needs to have 4 Baccano cosplays. Totally.)
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #90
Inuki1

You should totally do it. Baccano! is generally undercosplayed as is. I don't think I'll be recosplaying Claire any time soon myself, I kind of got as into it as I think one can. Wore it at 3 cons. Time to move on. XD