Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #466
Ion
イオン

Myeaah, being a "real person" and going back to work on Monday is one of saddest aspects of a convention, but hey, there is always the next one to look forward to I suppose.

Regardless, I had a great time this weekend and it was awesome catching up with/meeting people.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #467
ashi ketchum

deleted.

2014 conventions:
- San Diego Comic-Con
- Toronto Fan Expo
- New York Comic-Con

Last edited by ashi ketchum : 03-30-2013 at 11:51 PM.
ashi ketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #468
smzeldarules
SMZR♥

xD I ended up going just today from around noon to 4 as Honey from Ouran High School Host Club in his casual sailor uniform~~ just for photoshoot and to meet up with some local friends I haven't seen in forever. Also ended up getting some cute onigiri earrings XD
I really want to start cosplaying again. UBCon's getting bigger and bigger every year though. I heard the turn out for friday and yesterday was pretty good
Unread 04-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #469
ashi ketchum

Aw, I don't think I saw you! I was there for the same timeframe. It's so unfortunate the general Buffalo area doesn't have a larger convention, I think going to the larger conventions sort of corrupts one when you see the smaller ones.

2014 conventions:
- San Diego Comic-Con
- Toronto Fan Expo
- New York Comic-Con
Unread 04-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #470
UsagiNoSenshi
Dance Commander!

Uhhh UBCon was pretty big this year, like it surpassed my expectations and then some. We had 25 to 30 people enter the costume contest (I'm sorry I forgot to count for an official number) And I can say that the top 5 or 6 costumes could have easily competed at a much larger convention and would have done very well. Cosplay panel also had a very nice number show up and ask some great questions! Dealers room stole my money, which isn't easy because I have very specific tastes in merchandise. I thought the artist alley was fantastic!
Don't judge this con based on Sunday afternoon, that's really not fair to all the people that put their heart and soul into making this con happen.
I'm in the middle of writing up a full con report that i will x-post here later.
Sumire - Sakura Taisen
Sayaka - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Kaidan Alenko - Mass Effect 3
Ashe - LoL
UsagiNoSenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #471
smzeldarules
SMZR♥

So very true, I wish I got a chance to check out Saturday this year. Last year an event took place on the same weekend on Sunday, so I got to go to UBCon Saturday. This year it was on Saturday so I only got to go to UBCon on Sunday unfortunately :'(
So glad UBCon's getting bigger and bigger!! Haha makes me proud to go to UB
Unread 04-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #472
UsagiNoSenshi
Dance Commander!

Cross posted on my Deviant Art account, I know some of you on here and some of you on there, and some of you on both!

Oh after con fatigue! I feel like I was run over by a truck! Anyways...

I probably would have spent more time at con if I had had my car but alas my hubby had work! Friday started out with Iron Cosplay! We had kind of a small turn out this year. Little disappointing as we brought a ton of stuff! Poke came and said hi and hung around for a bit.
Tokidoki Loki and I ran around the artist alley very quickly and said a quick hello to people we knew. I will apologize now for being so short with people. In most cases all I could manage was a quick wave hi and then ran off. Running events meant we had to stick to a time schedule! Then we hosted an Old School Anime panel! There were two people I have no idea why they were there, I assume their other friend dragged them in. All the people that came in a bit late were fantastic though! Two slightly older gentlemen came in at the end and I think they were highly impressed. When you think hard-core anime fans I don't think two twenty-something girls is what you expect. Then we were pretty exhausted and returned home.
Saturday we had a bit of a late start. I got up super early (6am) for some reason. And my dog managed to punch me in the eye, which still hurts a bit! Various things happened that ended up delaying us till 3 or so. We took some quick photos, talked to the LARPers on the battlefield, and started setting up for our stuff. If you didn't even see me at con this is why, between me, Tokidoki Loki, and Jackoftrades we had 4 events back to back all in the same room from 5pm till 1am. We started signing people up and judging costumes a little after 5 I think, and went till almost 7~! We had a panel of 6 judges, including Eric Vale (the VA of Trunks and some other people). This was my first time even meeting a VA because I don't watch dub anime anymore so I usually don't care. But Eric was pretty bro! Super cool guy that was really funny and just awesome! I think we ended up with between 25 and 30 entries. I seriously had a moment where i thought 'deciding this is going to be way harder than I thought'. There were about 5 people that I would say should seriously be competing at a large con. I hope everyone that came had a great time, I had a blast talking to all of the contestants! The fashion show was just awesome! Everyone got into it and had a blast! The judges unanimously agreed on our winners! We felt they really showed us their love and hard work! The darling girl who won second place with her Ash Crimson costume, she was everything a cosplayer should be! She was super humble and very shy but you could tell she loved the character she was dressed as. I admit at first i thought she modded real clothes till I took a really close look. Her craftsmanship was amazing! After that we had our Cosplay 102 panel, which I think was covering 300 level course material! XP I will admit we really don't prepare for the cosplay panels ever, we all love talking about it so much winging it seems legit! We brought in some costumes on dressforms, some wigs, and some prop weapons for everyone to see. I loved the questions everyone was asking! So many people were interested in improving and trying out high level techniques, makes me really proud of everyone! At this point my sleep deprivation was starting to kick in, so if I seemed a bit loopy that's why. We spent our little hour break just chatting with people and answering some questions. Thanks to Ion for being a good sport! Sorry I kept pointing you out as an example. Jack hosted Zoom Out! and it was really fun for me to just kick back and watch! People were getting stuff, but not right away, so it was really fun. Then came Adult Zoom Out! which was kind of funny to see who's up on their hentai! My husband won this, which makes me laugh because I could name all the ones he could. I also manage to eat 3 cheeseburgers, which people we amazed at, but I hadn't eaten all day. We retreated home and basically passed out.
Sunday I was planning on attending the Ghost Hunter panel but we ran a bit late. So I went and checked out the Dealer's Room. I got myself a cute little NemuNeko plush which was too adorable to pass up! Went back to the Artist Alley and I pretty much camped out at Ion's booth for a bit and chatted with people. I knew all of the artists in the back corner so it was fun. My husband bought 60$ in art from one dealer. After we reluctantly stopped talking to people our little group went out to lunch and then back home.

I hope all those who went had a good time. I haven't heard the official numbers yet but UBCon was a huge success this year! There was so much stuff for everyone to do and see! If anyone has any suggestions for what you'd like to see next year you can let me know and I'll see what I can do. The President of UBAnime really put a lot of hard work into everything and I'm very glad he did. I felt like I could really promote the con this year and have it be totally worth it for the people who came. There were a list of great guests, many very talented artists, a bunch of anime vendors, 6 or 7 rooms of anime showings, a lot of events and contests, raves, panels, games, 4 whole building of awesome! I really wish that when I was younger there would have been a group of people putting on something like this! It is really fun to travel the country doing the con circuit but there's something special about having one in your own backyard!

And with that, I hope I see some of you at ToraCon this weekend! I'll be there as everyone's favorite fabulous Italian Assassin!
Sumire - Sakura Taisen
Ashe - LoL
Unread 04-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #473
KamenRiderAgito
ハチコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiNoSenshi View Post
Oh after con fatigue! I feel like I was run over by a truck! Anyways...

After that we had our Cosplay 102 panel, which I think was covering 300 level course material! XP I will admit we really don't prepare for the cosplay panels ever, we all love talking about it so much winging it seems legit! We brought in some costumes on dressforms, some wigs, and some prop weapons for everyone to see. I loved the questions everyone was asking! So many people were interested in improving and trying out high level techniques, makes me really proud of everyone!
I really loved the cosplay panel, and I'm glad it covered more advanced stuff, since that's just what I needed. ^_^ Your advice was really helpful, and I actually went on a run JoAnn's this morning to check out that fabric sale (and am now about 50 bucks poorer). With all of that excitement, I'm really pumped to get started with my next cosplay projects, which is good for my creative side and awful for my schoolwork...

If I can convince my mom to pay for Anime North, I might take on two more costumes. I just wish I could go to more than one big con a year.
Unread 04-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #474
UsagiNoSenshi
Dance Commander!

I wasn't sure what people wanted to learn about so when everyone was asking questions it helped us narrow things down. I'm glad people were interested in tackling things like resin casting and fiberglass props, crazy wigs and things like that.
Sumire - Sakura Taisen
Ashe - LoL
Unread 04-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #475
KamenRiderAgito
ハチコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiNoSenshi View Post
I wasn't sure what people wanted to learn about so when everyone was asking questions it helped us narrow things down. I'm glad people were interested in tackling things like resin casting and fiberglass props, crazy wigs and things like that.
And ice claws. Lol.
Unread 04-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #476
Kunai-kun
十六夜&

HEY USAGI, HOW U MAKE ICE CLAWS?

No seriously, I really needed to come to that panel, I learned a good deal that'll help me later on.

I WILL MITRE ALL OF MY EDGES FOREVER NOW. I MUST.

Also I was very nice meeting Ion and seeing everyone else that I know and see at other cons but don't really hang out with. It was nice seeing Tyler again after Ohayocon, since then it didn't seem like she was TOO interested in cosplaying, but now, she's really into it.

Also Ion, you are way amazing and are now one of my cosplay idols I have to model my work after. @_@ It looked so good on you! I'm REALLY tempted to make Frederic at some point now, but we'll see. Maybe I'll do Jazz if it seems to be a bit easier.

I need to work on my cosplay making speed too, It took me like 12 hours just to make my shirt x_x

(PS I had pockets! That I could put stuff in!)

Keine Kamishirasawa(COMMISSION)- Touhou Project - Current Project

Future Projects:
Toramaru Shou - Touhou Project - In Progress, Stalled
Jin Kisaragi - BlazBlue - In Progress
Saigyouji Yuyuko - Koumajou Densetsu 2-Strangers Requiem
Shikieiki Yamaxanadu - Touhou Project
Mononobe no Futo - Touhou Project

I take commissions! PM me if you're interested. ~
Kunai-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #477
UsagiNoSenshi
Dance Commander!

Tyler aka Tea-san was a little bummed at Ohayo because she actually finished her Vocaloid costume then but she forgot her headphones at home so she couldn't wear it! And the fact we stuck her in a random Touhou costume XP.

It is nice to hang out with all of you in a more relaxed setting, at big cons I am a mad woman with photoshoots and changing costumes several times a day! So busy @_@
Sumire - Sakura Taisen
Ashe - LoL
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #478
ashi ketchum

deleted.

2014 conventions:
- San Diego Comic-Con
- Toronto Fan Expo
- New York Comic-Con

Last edited by ashi ketchum : 03-30-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #479
UsagiNoSenshi
Dance Commander!

UBCon is student run, volunteer staffed. I commend each and every person that put time into it, especially since many of the higher ups are trying to finish up for graduation at the same time as running a con! The money the con makes goes back into the con the next year. The only way for the con to get bigger and better is for more people to volunteer their time to help out. The only way Buffalo in general is going to have a decently sized con in a convention center or hotel is for a lot of people to put up a lot of money and a huge amount of their time. So far I can think of only about 3 or 4 people in the area that could realistically make it happen, but again money. Cons also don't start out amazingly huge, it takes almost 10 years for a convention to mature to a decent size.
Sumire - Sakura Taisen
Ashe - LoL
Unread 04-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #480
Ion
イオン

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunai-kun View Post
Also Ion, you are way amazing and are now one of my cosplay idols I have to model my work after. @_@ It looked so good on you! I'm REALLY tempted to make Frederic at some point now, but we'll see. Maybe I'll do Jazz if it seems to be a bit easier.

I need to work on my cosplay making speed too, It took me like 12 hours just to make my shirt x_x

(PS I had pockets! That I could put stuff in!)
LMAO you and your pockets. I kid, the pants were very nicely done. I am totally motivated to work on more legit waistbands and legit welt pockets instead of elastic waistbands and patch pockets. I hate carrying a bag around at a con, but it always seems to happen.

Also, do not worry about the speed at which you work. It took me about 8 hours to make some boot covers a few weeks ago. At first I felt a little foolish for dumping that much time into boot covers of all things, but then I realized how much I liked the end result. As far as I know, there is no race, so if you take your time but love the results, then it is time well spent.

Good luck if/when you go forth with an Eternal Sonata costume! They are a lot of fun to make but also frustrating. The costumes seem to sprout new details and doodads when you are not looking. Also, pick Jazz. His weapon is much cooler than a pimped-out conductor's baton, lol.

///oh and go forth and miter or mitre all thy corners! Apparently it is spelled both ways, I thought it was spelled mitre but this spelling seems more common in woodworking. It may help if you look for tutorials etc.

----

@Usagi: I had no idea what ice claws were until I looked around your gallery. I feel tempted to post comments asking where you bought them and/or how you made them too.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote