Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 04-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
gundamben831
I like Gundams period.

How to make a Desert Punk cosplay

Hey-o all GundamBen here aka the "Desert Punk" you've all seen my pics of my cosplay now here is how you can make your own. For i don't know how long but everyone I mean everyone keeps askin me how i made this cosplay so now i'll just post here how to make your own. Its not that I don't mind answering all of your questions but seriously folks when I originally made this costume I had no one to ask and the only tip I got was for making the hat, so please understand my costume is a one of a kind and I have yet to ever see the same components that I made mine out of. The total ammount of time that I had spent on my costume from start to finish was about a year total in time. any who now lets get started

Helmet

For this helmet like i mention earlier this is a one of a kind helmet and have yet to see another like it. My original helmet was a HAZMAT helmet and I tell you people this was not an easy find so here is something that I would suggest to use http://www.1000bulbs.com/Clear-Acryl...-with-Opening/ they are clear plastic light-bulb covers but it has the perfect round shape that's needed for the front of the dome-shaped mask. now depending on what size your neck is or the circumference of your head may be try to get the bulb cover that will best suite your needs. there will probably need some cutting and tooling required to achieve the desired look/ also making it comfortable too. as for the reflective shine i have I just used car tint, when looking for tint try to get the darkest tint (keep in mind i used reflective silver tint). when laying the tint down on the helmet I had used strips, I had cut the tint into 1 1/2 inch wide strips the strips should be the length of the tint that comes in the roll, so cut several stips at the 1 1/2 in width and then cut a 2 in width just only one because this is going to be your center strip. When laying the strips you want to go from left to center and right to center (keep in mind that you'll be using the 2 in strip to go over the exact center of it. Okay now so far you've got a plain helmet now whats needed is a piece of pvc pipe for the nose i used a valve pressure stopper i believe what it was called. i had to saw off both ends of the pipe and then drill out the center plunger so that i could bolt the nose to the helmet. I had used computer fans on the inside of my helmet too, these fans can run anywhere from $15-50 depending on how fast or strong you want your fan power to be. add paint and then you got your helmet.

Hat

This hat was the only thing that I had tips from and this part was fairly really easy to make. I had took a Japanese sun hat and combined it with a regular american straw hat to get the wider brim and then here is the kinda icky part but after you have the hat pieces together you paint 5 layers of water-proof wood glue. the glue makes the soft straw hat turn into a hard-hat type its really nice if done correctly and makes it more durable too. A small tip unless your hat has straps I would use velcro to make your hat stay on the helmet.

Cape

for the cape I would strongly advise getting any fabric with a high i mean high thread count, because most fabric stores just carry your basic materials and not too many high-end stuff. But what i would suggest since I did this for my cape i went to bed bath and beyond went to the king bed sheet section found the exact color i needed and then used sheets for my cape. one, sheets work great for wind effects, and two its not super heavy and very easy to walk around with. with your sheet pack in hand i used the pillow case and then folded it about four times length wise so that it looks like a long tube instead of a pillow case then from there i sewed one end to the opening of the case and that was my neck for my cape then the rest of the cape i got a pattern from the fabric store for a cape costume and then cut along the lines and add the neck, viola you've got yourself a cape.

Gear

The gear and clothing and pretty much the whole shibang can be found on e-bay or the internet. the rest as listed is needed to finish your costume, Airsoft vest (tactical vest), tactical gloves (not cheap if you want an authentic look), a long sleeve green shirt, grey or tan bdu pants, for your legs you'll need some white medical raps (like an ace bandage except white), and lastly some boots (desert military boots) oh i almost forgot the shotgun lol well most con's won't let you bring airsoft guns into the convention (lame) so if your good with makin stuff make a shotgun then they can't give you grief about it.

well hopefully this is somewhat helpful sorry if I'm not here to answer all of your questions all the time I'm rarely on this site often, but i'll try to answer them as best as I can if there is some more fine detail's that you need to know about. thanks for looking

Last edited by gundamben831 : 04-27-2009 at 03:24 AM.
gundamben831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
darkbhudda

Thank you for the tutorial gundamben831. I've been thinking of making a costume with a helmet so this is a great help. My World Explorer Steampunk outfit may borrow some ideas as well.
Unread 09-08-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
zomgheals

Hey is it possible to get into more detail (pictures?)
Stuff like pricing / size of globes (unsure as to how that works)

As i want to make this costume following your guide

Last edited by zomgheals : 09-08-2009 at 07:42 AM.
zomgheals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
ww3sabiture
sab

You can buy the shotguns here.
http://www.iacshotguns.com/97w.html
they may not like haveing the real deal.
(")_(") signature to help him achieve world domination
ww3sabiture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
milo313

the lamp cover is a good idea, but where did you find a hazmat helmet like that?
milo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Gaku_X
All around dork-face

I adore you right now.I've been stumped on the Punk and Kosona costumes I want to make.Thank you so much.

Silent Hill Hybrid Nurse(For Haunt)
Angelique-Hellraiser(For Haunt)
Kirie Himuro-Fatal Frame
Gaku_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
gundamben831
I like Gundams period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo313 View Post
the lamp cover is a good idea, but where did you find a hazmat helmet like that?
I originally found it off a seller on ebay after looking for like 8 months finally found one and then it took another 2 years of tweaking and perfecting my costume but never again have I seen another hazmat helmet like it.
Unread 05-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
milo313

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamben831 View Post
I originally found it off a seller on ebay after looking for like 8 months finally found one and then it took another 2 years of tweaking and perfecting my costume but never again have I seen another hazmat helmet like it.
ok then, buying a helmet out of the question. as i was looking at your pictures, the one shot of the inside of the helmet, it looks like you have a bike helmet attached to the top of the dome? is that the helmet you bought or one you made?, because the globe moving around on my neck is somthing i'm worried about. thanks!
Unread 05-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
gundamben831
I like Gundams period.

Quote:
ok then, buying a helmet out of the question. as i was looking at your pictures, the one shot of the inside of the helmet, it looks like you have a bike helmet attached to the top of the dome? is that the helmet you bought or one you made?, because the globe moving around on my neck is somthing i'm worried about. thanks!
you are correct I did purchase a normal skateboard/bmx helmet and had bolted it to the actual dome because the dome by itself would just wobble around some and proved to be difficult to move the dome and my head at the same time thus the idea of the bmx helmet on the inside. Now as for putting one in the acrylic bulb I would have someone who has a saw or a cutting tool that allows you to cut in the entire diameter of the helmet from the neck opening to the top of the helmet that way you have two halves and then you can add a hinge at the top with buckles or velcro on the sides to hold the halves together. I plan on making a Kosuna cosplay using the actual bulbs at that time I will post w.i.p. pics as well as progression of the build-up
Unread 05-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
milo313

i was wondering if you remember where you got the dark auto tint like that, because i cant seem to find the really dark stuff in a small amount, or for a reasonable price (ill buy it if i have to, but if i can find it for less than $45, i'd be happy. also, i was wondering what the diameter of that helmet was, because that site with the globes has both 16 and 18 inch diameters, i just wanna keep it in scale. i'm planning on being desert punk for otakon tin a few months... so i guess we'll see. thanks for the help

Last edited by milo313 : 05-11-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Unread 05-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
gundamben831
I like Gundams period.

Quote:
i was wondering if you remember where you got the dark auto tint like that, because i cant seem to find the really dark stuff in a small amount, or for a reasonable price (ill buy it if i have to, but if i can find it for less than $45, i'd be happy. also, i was wondering what the diameter of that helmet was, because that site with the globes has both 16 and 18 inch diameters, i just wanna keep it in scale. i'm planning on being desert punk for otakon tin a few months... so i guess we'll see. thanks for the help
Hey milo sorry for the belated response here is a link to something very similar to what I had used

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Reflectiv...item35a7537fe4

hopefully this is helpful
Unread 05-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
milo313

i ordered all of my stuff, it should be done in a few weeks

Last edited by milo313 : 06-02-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #13
Out_Of_Practice

Thanks for some of the great info - I was working on assembling a Sunabozu costume myself, so this info is helpful.

I was planning on doing the hat out of Sintra (hopefully this'll work). At least, until I find some friends with vacuum forming machines. Hopefully a shallow dome isn't too much for the PVC foam board.

On the other side of things, you really need to build the rocket winch backpack. I CAD'd it up, but I feel like before that, I'd want to get into installing fans to pump the air into the helmet.

EDIT: Wouldn't you be concerned about the acrylic shattering?

Last edited by Out_Of_Practice : 07-14-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Out_Of_Practice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
gundamben831
I like Gundams period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out_Of_Practice View Post
Thanks for some of the great info - I was working on assembling a Sunabozu costume myself, so this info is helpful.

I was planning on doing the hat out of Sintra (hopefully this'll work). At least, until I find some friends with vacuum forming machines. Hopefully a shallow dome isn't too much for the PVC foam board.

On the other side of things, you really need to build the rocket winch backpack. I CAD'd it up, but I feel like before that, I'd want to get into installing fans to pump the air into the helmet.

EDIT: Wouldn't you be concerned about the acrylic shattering?
maybe after time it might become brittle but for 2-3 years of cons I think your pretty safe to use acrylic
Unread 08-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
gundamben831
I like Gundams period.

wow I just read how many spelling errors there are in this description I will update it again and soon.