Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #1801
Falclon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlit Rose View Post
Thank you very much! I am excited to be moving to an area with an active cosplay community. My friend who lives in the area has told me about groups that like to meet up and work on costumes together/help each other. It blows my mind that there are enough local people to do that! And there are so many Texas cons...I won't even know what to do with myself. If Ikkicon is the next one up, perhaps that might be my first Texas con? Depends on where I am financially and if my friend is planning on going I suppose. It's exciting to think I might get to go to a con soon! The last con I attended was around this time last year. I've been having to skip cons to save up for this move. Can't wait to get going again.
This will be my first Ikkicon as well, so I can't say much about it, but from what I've heard: last year wasn't such a great location, but this year they've moved it to a new location and have new people in charge, so it could go either way. Will almost certainly be better organized than Oni-Con though (it's going on this weekend and I was there yesterday). I can't say so for the DFW area, but in Houston we have meets pretty frequently, the only problem is Houston is so spread out that most people live 30+ min apart (in good traffic). That comes with large, spread out cities though I suppose.

I just found out yesterday that Anime Matsuri will be in downtown rather than the Woodlands this year. Not sure how I feel about that. It's close enough to my house that I won't have to pay for a hotel, but I don't feel safe walking around downtown in the day, let alone night so I may just get a room anyways. I know it's because the con outgrew the Woodlands, but what do you all think?

Unread 10-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #1802
Ayomelon
Looking for TX Group!

Any news of a DFW meet-up anytime soon? I'm getting to antsy for a-kon and its mini hangout XD

Also, if anyone is looking to split room costs for A-kon let me know!
Ayomelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #1803
Ramona__Flowers

Looking for cosplay group for older cosplayers

I just went to my first anime con, Onicon 2012 and had fun, but I don't know anyone who enjoys anime. I'm in my 30's and felt older than most of the people attending. Does anyone know of any cosplay groups in Houston that are very welcoming of older cosplayers?
Ramona__Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #1804
Falclon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona__Flowers View Post
I just went to my first anime con, Onicon 2012 and had fun, but I don't know anyone who enjoys anime. I'm in my 30's and felt older than most of the people attending. Does anyone know of any cosplay groups in Houston that are very welcoming of older cosplayers?
From what I've seen, most of the older crowd are not into the current animes. Most prefer things like steampunk and DBZ. However, most of the people I hang out with are in their 20's though I do believe a few of them are over 30. I don't know of a specific group (mostly groups are formed between people who know each other well or from a large group of people with similar interests. For example, Houston has a lolita community, several steampunk crews, and an assassin group) All of the groups will be welcoming towards you though. What are your interests and what is your next con going to be?
Unread 10-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #1805
Ramona__Flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falclon View Post
From what I've seen, most of the older crowd are not into the current animes. Most prefer things like steampunk and DBZ. However, most of the people I hang out with are in their 20's though I do believe a few of them are over 30. I don't know of a specific group (mostly groups are formed between people who know each other well or from a large group of people with similar interests. For example, Houston has a lolita community, several steampunk crews, and an assassin group) All of the groups will be welcoming towards you though. What are your interests and what is your next con going to be?

My favorite anime are Read or Die, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell. Some others I like are Naruto, chobits, Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, Azumanga Daioh. I don't really like DBZ. At Onicon, I dressed up as Tsunade from the anime Naruto because I liked her character, and I thought her costume was one I could actually make myself. I like a wide variety of anime. Comedy, Slice of Life, Action, but I'm really not current with the latest anime. I don't think I recognized any of the anime they featured in panels at Onicon, other than Naruto.

Steampunk is cool, but I'm not really that into it that much. It might be that there's just one aesthetic. One thing that appeals to me about anime cosplay is the variety of genres and settings in anime, from modern day Earth, to fantasy worlds, to other planets, so you have a wider variety of styles of costumes. It also seems to me that steampunk is more about creating new characters (I could be wrong), and I liked the challenge of trying to recreate a costume well enough that people would know who it was supposed to be.

As for what will be my next con, I have no idea. It would depend on when I would be able to find the time and money to go. It's possible that it might be Onicon 2013, or maybe one of the other cons in Houston.
Ramona__Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #1806
gothixloli

katy texas

or i guess houston is fine since im close enough
gothixloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #1807
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Welcome gothxloli

Am close to finishing my orihime!

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #1808
Falclon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothixloli View Post
or i guess houston is fine since im close enough
Welcome I live in Houston.

@Rangiku, post pictures when you're finished I'm almost done with mey-rin but I haven't had a chance to put the final touches on.
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #1809
Ballira
Ballira

Quote:
This will be my first Ikkicon as well, so I can't say much about it, but from what I've heard: last year wasn't such a great location, but this year they've moved it to a new location and have new people in charge, so it could go either way. Will almost certainly be better organized than Oni-Con though (it's going on this weekend and I was there yesterday). I can't say so for the DFW area, but in Houston we have meets pretty frequently, the only problem is Houston is so spread out that most people live 30+ min apart (in good traffic). That comes with large, spread out cities though I suppose.

I just found out yesterday that Anime Matsuri will be in downtown rather than the Woodlands this year. Not sure how I feel about that. It's close enough to my house that I won't have to pay for a hotel, but I don't feel safe walking around downtown in the day, let alone night so I may just get a room anyways. I know it's because the con outgrew the Woodlands, but what do you all think?

As a heads up the Ikkicon has actually been to this location before. I went to the third year one myself. There was some issues then because there was another convention of some sort going on (boxing or something) and the previous conventioneers were leaving rather late. So the whole thing was starting late. I'm not sure if everything is going to go smoothly THIS year or not. I hear the year after things went a little better. But the one year I went everyone was struggling because the hotel wasn't cooperating much and communication was kind of limited. The hotel staff weren't exactly helpful then and there weren't any snack food vendors at the time because the hotel didn't want them since they themselves had a restaurant on the ground floor.

With that in mind under the new management I hear there WILL be snack food vendors this time, by just in case I would suggest looking up a map of he area. There's lots of restaurants and even a few Asian markets nearby. Either way, hope you have a fun Ikkicon. Just be sure to prepare for anything! =3
Unread 10-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #1810
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Quote:
@Rangiku, post pictures when you're finished I'm almost done with mey-rin but I haven't had a chance to put the final touches on.
of course I will just need to wait for the wig,hair pins,and skirt. I'm glad I'm getting one cosplay almost done before mid November so I can take a break for thanksgiving.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Unread 10-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #1811
soraKHdemyx
Trickster

I'm getting ready for Ikkicon... so many cosplays to do! SO LITTLE TIME!

San Japan: Sinister 6- Gabriel from Supernatural, Wiccan from the Young Avengers, other unknown.
soraKHdemyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 05:18 AM   #1812
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraKHdemyx View Post
I'm getting ready for Ikkicon... so many cosplays to do! SO LITTLE TIME!
yep I agree! It seems now as its almost a month away things are getting harder to find and finish.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #1813
Falclon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiku12 View Post
yep I agree! It seems now as its almost a month away things are getting harder to find and finish.
Almost two months. xD When I first read this I was worried for a second and rushed to check my calendar haha. I just got my pre reg a few days ago so now I'm very excited.
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #1814
soraKHdemyx
Trickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiku12 View Post
It's the props that are killing me. I need to finish some Homestuck horns, and giant wings by then. And the wings are taking longer than I hoped. Just 2 months to go an it'll be Ikki-time!

San Japan: Sinister 6- Gabriel from Supernatural, Wiccan from the Young Avengers, other unknown.
soraKHdemyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #1815
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

1 month,3 weeks, and 6 days till Ikkicon from today

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)