Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
higurashiwords

Where can I get real anime contact lenses for $20?

I'm planning on cosplaying as Rena from Higurashi no naku koro ni, but there is no way I can spend more than $20 at the EXTREME most! Especially seeing as I haven't even gone shopping at the thrift stores yet to get the materials for the actual costume itself. I do know what i need for the costume and how i plan on making it ( i.e. buying and getting the material myself and having one of my good friends sewing it for me so i don't sew my fingers to the dress because of my utter ignorance of sewing...),but last time i cosplayed i had the outfit down, but the hair and eyes were my own and not even close to the character i was cosplaying so this time i want to make sure people know who i am from looking at me not only by me giving them huge hints or telling them ( though i do realize only the real hardcore internet surfing violent anime junkies know of the show...i am sure on this website most of you know, but the only person i know who knows about it is my best friend who told me about it!!!!!....T.T.... We are trying to spread the word though....)

So please, does anyone know of a place that sells bright blue large ass real anime looking contact lenses for $20? ones that cannot be mistaken for a mere second for just ordinary blue normal contact lenses?
higurashiwords is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Easy answer- you can't. Contact lenses are at least $70-100 a pop, and trust me, you DON'T want to be putting anything less than safe in your eyes.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Not to mention the price of getting a prescription to begin with.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
benihime
Kimono Queen

even the plano lenses (which i have to have because i have an astigmatism) are usually $30 and up, especially for the REALLY bright ones. if you REALLY want contacts, you're just going to have to save up.

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
strawberryapril

http://www.thedollyeye.com/catalog.p...3&ret=faqs.php
These contacts are very very bright blue and pretty...perfect for an anime cosplay. They are $30 plus shipping. But that's the cheapest you'll get (plus I think it looks way better than the $70-$100 ones)

These types of circle/colored lens is from Korea, and you can find them in the $20-$30 range and come in all prescriptions. but Unfortunately they usually come in one base curve size (8.6) But if you're only gonna wear them for a day or two and your bc is close to that, then it wouldn't be too bad.
Don't worry they are safe, most brands are FDA approved, and thousands of asians (including me) use them to take their myspace pics XD

Some other places to check out: eyecandylens.com, pinkyparadise.com/, koreacontactlens.com (eyecandylens and koreacontactlens will take a month to order because they do a batch order system, just to let you know) You can find ones there starting from $19 + shipping
strawberryapril is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
PurpleDuckie
The Most Purple Duck

Circle lenses, which I think you are talking about, usually cost more than regular lenses and if you include anime styled ones (with a painted design rather than regular eye design) then it costs even more. even without a perscription contact lenses are expensive. Plus you need to get your eyes measured so they fit properly, and pay for shipping if you buy them online. Remember, cosplay is an expensive hobby and if you plan to go all out then you are going to have to drop some cash.

However, contact lenses aren't a necessity in cosplay, you can go without them. I sugguest with a budget of only $20, you save your eyes some trouble and go without.
Cosplay Tutorial (Tumblr)

Cosplay Plans:
Frostcon: Porygon Z
Anime North: Luna from VLR
Atomic Lollipop: Yellow or Malshina from Akibaranger
PurpleDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
~FatalDreams~

Indeed, if you can't do the contacts due to price (and yes they ARE expensive), then it's fine to go without them. Use the money to make the costume itself look great.
~FatalDreams~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
The_Ninja

As others have said, you're not going to be finding contacts for that price, and you're definitely not going to be finding quality (read: safe) contacts for that price. You've only got one pair of eyes; don't risk them just for the sake of cosplay.
Unread 04-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

no offense...i would not put any contact lense that is $20 anywhere NEAR my eye. I know of a site that has really nice anime contact lenses for cheaper than USUAL, but even those are around 80ish dollars. As everyone else said...

...please don't risk your eyesight for a cosplay. Because think of it this way...you can have many perfect cosplays without contacts...but its hard to achieve a perfect cosplay if you cannot see at all.
In the works: Sora, KHII | InuYasha, InuYasha | Rogue, X-Men

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

For blue eyes, I think you can get away with no contacts. In fact, I've cosplayed characters with red eyes before I was able to get some contacts. While contacts can make a good costume great, they're really not necessary.

I signed up for the newsletter on vampfangs.com, and every so often they send you special offers that are only available for those on the newsletter. I got my red contacts for relatively cheap because I got a special offer on them, but still, they were probably at least $35 (I bought them a long time ago, so I can't remember exactly).

If you mess up your eyesight then you're screwed for life, remember that.
Unread 04-22-2009, 03:23 AM   #11
kin_sama
Diligent Procrastinator

This website has sales that are around $20: Here

Also, another one here might have what you want for that price: Here

Aaaand if you want BIGGER-looking eyes: Here

Note-- I have worn contact lens multiple times from all of the three sellers, and I can tell you that I haven't had any problems with discomfort or change in vision. In my opinion, they are pretty good in quality. I do recommend going to an ophthalmologist for at least one visit to find out how to safely put them in/take them out.
-cosplay-
Soubi Agatsuma 「LOVELESS」, Lili 「Tekken」
・・・・・
Stalk me at:
[dA] [LJ] [CureCos] [YT]
kin_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 04:02 AM   #12
xKisame

Kind of offtopic question, if you plan on getting 80-150$ contact lenses should you see an optometrist first to see if your eyes are in healthy condition to wear them? I don't have sight problems but I do get dry eyes very quickly.
Unread 04-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
PurpleDuckie
The Most Purple Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKisame View Post
Kind of offtopic question, if you plan on getting 80-150$ contact lenses should you see an optometrist first to see if your eyes are in healthy condition to wear them? I don't have sight problems but I do get dry eyes very quickly.
You should get your eyes measured for contacts before getting any, if your eye has a weird curve you need to get contacts that fit your curve or else it could cause problems. An optomitrist will usually give you a trial pair of lenses as well so you can see how they feel for you and you can learn if they are not your thing BEFORE spending $80+ on them

as for dry eyes, it might cause the contacts to be irritating but generally you can bring around eyedrops to fix that problem
Cosplay Tutorial (Tumblr)

Cosplay Plans:
Frostcon: Porygon Z
Anime North: Luna from VLR
Atomic Lollipop: Yellow or Malshina from Akibaranger
PurpleDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #14
Annie-Mei

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryapril View Post
this site is on the FTC "do not buy from" list.
The site is not authorized to sell to any US residents and not legal to order from
Annie-Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #15
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

You're not going to find safe contacts for 20 dollars. Contacts range from upwards of 30 dollars on their own, not counting the eye examine that you need in order to make sure they fit properly and shipping if your ordering online. For something as common as blue eyes I wouldn't even bother to buy them because of the expense. You don't need to have them anyway in order to have a great costume and to use cheap contacts is to risk your eyesight.