Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 01-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
Wickerlit

Makeup for facial hair?

I'm planning to cosplay as Douglas Rattmann from the portal series in the upcoming London Film and Comic Con this summer, but I have a major problem -my facial hair isn't thick enough and doesn't cover my face as it should; my lower cheeks are completely hairless and there's a gap between my chin and upper-lip stubble.

I'm thinking about resorting to makeup as that is pretty much the cheapest and most efficient solution -only problem is, being a guy, I've never used makeup before and even with all those youtube videos I'm completely lost -words like 'foundation' don't really make any sense to me, and I have no idea how to tell it apart from eye shadow and all that stuff, and even did, I wouldn't know how to apply it properly.

I am seriously lost and any advice concerning my predicament would be greatly appreaciated

p.s.: My skin tone also happens to be quite tan; would it be difficult to get it to look that pale with conventional products?
Wickerlit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

RATMAN DDD He's such a weirdo.

Foundation is basically a liquid, powder or cream product that provides a base color to skin. It evens skin tone, can hide imperfections if its a full coverage foundation. The tone and undertone can help make your skin more "perfect."

Changing your skin tone with foundation is possible, but it might look fakeóblending a liquid or cream and setting with powder should help. It seems mainly your neck, hands and arms will be seen. To cover that much, something body paint or a theatre foundation might work best. I think most would recommend body paint, so take what I say on it as the holy grail lol.

As to eyeshadow, its a powder or cream product that enhances the eyes with color. ^_^ Can be used as blush, lip color (depends on the formula) or to set a liquid or cream product. He looks sleep deprived but I guess when you're running from a psychotic AI that runs your entire facility, you'll lose sleep. Creating slight bags under the eyes can be achieved with matte purple, very light grey. Schizophrenia is a hell of a disorder. Oh, being that he's so gaunt, you'll want to carve out your cheeks to make them look more hollow.

One method to create more beard hair (and eyebrow hair) has been to take a small eyeliner brush, an angled brush, and eyeshadow that matches the hair then making tiny lines. Liquid brow pens can work too. A bit of crepe hair, the hair made for faux beards, might work to beef up your beard.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote