Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
mintymocha

Smile Talcum/baby powder for setting white face paint?

My friend suggested I try using talcum powder as an alternative to buying a spray. Has anyone here tried this? Is it a good idea? It'll be on white face paint so it wouldn't change the colour either.

Would this work the same on parts of the body besides your face? (hands, neck)

Thank you for any help!
mintymocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
Sweet Loretta

What are you using for the white base, what type of makeup?

Only cream makeup aka grease paint like clown white needs to be set with powder. A talc powder will work like a bay powder but not as well as an Translucent Setting Powder. Setting powders for fine particles and will absorb the oils in the makeup better, thus it sets the makeup in place and does not allow it to slide around. Some talcs can clump, but people do use talc powders to set oil makeups.

If you are using an actual face paint then you do not need powder. A barrier spray or fixing spray works with this makeup.

You can comfortably where a good face paint like Paradise white all day without need for touch ups or barriers or fixing sprays.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
http://extremecosplaymakeup.com

Last edited by Sweet Loretta : 03-14-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
mintymocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Loretta View Post
What are you using for the white base, what type of makeup?

Only cream makeup aka grease paint like clown white needs to be set with powder. A talc powder will work like a bay powder but not as well as an Translucent Setting Powder. Setting powders for fine particles and will absorb the oils in the makeup better, thus it sets the makeup in place and does not allow it to slide around. Some talcs can clump, but people do use talc powders to set oil makeups.

If you are using an actual face paint then you do not need powder. A barrier spray or fixing spray works with this makeup.

You can comfortably where a good face paint like Paradise white all day without need for touch ups or barriers or fixing sprays.
Snazaroo white face paint, it's a water based one i believe?
Unread 03-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Yes, Snaz is water-based.

Though, if you can get a different/better brand of paint, I would recommend you do so. Good luck getting Snaz (white especially) to do anything but clump up and flake, especially if you powder it. If you overpowder a water-based paint, it can cause it to dry out and flake more than usual, and white Snaz is notoriously bad for that. (Snaz in general should be notoriously bad for that, but somehow it ended up being the go-to brand.)

I haven't tried every brand of white (which is a very hard color to do well), but I've had luck with Kryolan Aquacolor, and haven't had luck with Wolfe Hydrocolor FX. I've known people who have had luck with Mehron and Ben Nye's water-based whites, as well.

With any water-based paint, you are going to want to build up many translucent layers of color, making sure the previous layer has dried. This will help prevent streaking, flaking, and removing the previous layer of color with the new one. I'd recommend a setting spray to seal it. Powder minimally, and only if you need it (oily skin, want to use the antiperspirant qualities of many theatrical powders, etc.).

That said, I've used a minimal amount of baby powder on white KAQ without issue.
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
mintymocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrickind View Post
Yes, Snaz is water-based.

Though, if you can get a different/better brand of paint, I would recommend you do so. Good luck getting Snaz (white especially) to do anything but clump up and flake, especially if you powder it. If you overpowder a water-based paint, it can cause it to dry out and flake more than usual, and white Snaz is notoriously bad for that. (Snaz in general should be notoriously bad for that, but somehow it ended up being the go-to brand.)

I haven't tried every brand of white (which is a very hard color to do well), but I've had luck with Kryolan Aquacolor, and haven't had luck with Wolfe Hydrocolor FX. I've known people who have had luck with Mehron and Ben Nye's water-based whites, as well.

With any water-based paint, you are going to want to build up many translucent layers of color, making sure the previous layer has dried. This will help prevent streaking, flaking, and removing the previous layer of color with the new one. I'd recommend a setting spray to seal it. Powder minimally, and only if you need it (oily skin, want to use the antiperspirant qualities of many theatrical powders, etc.).

That said, I've used a minimal amount of baby powder on white KAQ without issue.
I'll see if I can buy one of those then. I've never used face paint before so this is really helpful, thank you!
Unread 03-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
ebanks90

Here is a comparison chart of the white water based paints in the most common brands. Fabrickind is right that Snazaroo is probably one of the worst when it comes to flaking and drying out.

Wolfe is a great paint because it has beeswax in it (other paints have glycerin typically) which makes it very smooth and consistent. Definetly seal with ben nye final seal instead of a powder. Powders are good for oil based paints, but wont do much help (more harm) on water based paints. For an easy tutorial on how to apply water based paint to your whole body and seal it- click here
ebanks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

YMMV on Wolfe -- I've found the white to crack and flake off very easily on my skin, but I know that other people swear by it, so it might be a difference in skin type.

Really, as with most things, it's best to test it ahead of time so you aren't stuck with something that doesn't work for you while at the con.

While we're dropping tutorials: http://fabrickind.tumblr.com/post/137066387037
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote