Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 01-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
pinapplegum
Laughter is contagious :)

The perfect coverage?

I find that the Maybelline Dream Smooth mousse is VERY good for my cosplay needs of full and complete coverage and smoothness. However, there are only 6 colors available and all of them are too dark (or too orange) for me.

Does anyone know of an alternative that works just as well? I use the mousse for when I am anchoring the news too and I need that 'super flawless' look.

Currently I am using Revlon Colorstay Whipped as a replacement but it doesn't completely hide all blemishes and spots.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0312933&type=3
pinapplegum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

What about using a concealer? Foundation is meant to even out your skin, not cover everything up. A concealer will cover up what the foundation doesn't. Personally I really like Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation for Combo/Oily skin for all my cosplay needs and MAC Pro Longwear Concealer to cover up my dark circles and any pimples that might have popped up.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 02:08 AM   #3
Cosplay_Rose
Gold Rose Cosplay

Yep, sounds like you're going to need concealer in addition to some sort of foundation. What's going to work well for you depends on your skin type, but here's some generic suggestions.

There are different concealers for covering different things. In general, yellow-tinted concealer is for hiding under-eye bags because the yellow in the concealer cancels out the purple tones in the under-eye bags. Green-tinted concealer is meant to cover red spots like rosacea or acne, green balances out the red. Sometimes you can find one that does both, but if you can't, and you need to cover both, it's best to get two different ones.

You can apply foundation before or after concealer, it's up to you to decide which looks best. I have friends that do foundation first and then concealer, but I was taught (in theatrical makeup class) to do concealer first because the foundation will give you a more natural color and you won't see the yellow or green tint as much, if at all.

For a really smooth foundation, you could try a powder, just be sure to brush off the extra powder so that it doesn't looks flakey (especially on camera!)

Program Director at Kin-Yoobi Con
Cosplay_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Ani_BEE
Freaky Fabulous!

Revlon Colorstay Whipped is great foundation but a good concealer for spots is the stick form is what you can get.

http://www.warpaintandunicorns.com/2...concealer.html

Another one I highly recommend is this one.
http://www.sephora.com/amazing-conce...?skuId=1040294

Costume-Con 32
Souryuu ~ Yami no Matsuei
Jack & Red Queen

Anime North
Laplace no Ma
Souryuu/Regina ~ Once Upon a Time
Nehelenia

Future cosplays/cons:
Madeline Hatter Legacy Day
Sakizou Arachne
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 04:21 AM   #5
AgentTexas
Obviously Craz Yo!

I recommend adding a primer to your makeup. I have a lot of acne, like it's god awful. I had a hard time covering it with just some liquid foundation until I got primer from Revlon and suddenly the primer, liquid foundation and some setting powder worked wonders! I looked like I barely had any acne! I recommend it for sure, it didn't even break me out and I'm super sensitive.

The Perfect Primer.
AgentTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
Julesie

I have been wondering the same thing. No matter how hard I try my acne scarring or acne shows up still under my BB, Foundation and powder. I really don't know how to cover it.

AgentTexas: that perfect primer. Would it cover my face? Someone with heavy scarring, red in random blotches all around my face and fresh acne that likes to pop up around con times?
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Primer is meant to help the foundation last longer and/or provide a relatively smooth texture to the skin. So no, it won't cover up anything. I would use green corrector to combat the redness and yellow or peach corrector (lots of people recommend yellow but I find peach works better for me) to combat dark spots. I like to apply primer, then corrector, foundation, and concealer.

Unread 01-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Julesie

Thank you Strawberry
I did have a concealer I used to use but I never noticed it doing anything so stopped using it for my face and only my lips. I'll try and get a new one.
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
AgentTexas
Obviously Craz Yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesie View Post
I have been wondering the same thing. No matter how hard I try my acne scarring or acne shows up still under my BB, Foundation and powder. I really don't know how to cover it.

AgentTexas: that perfect primer. Would it cover my face? Someone with heavy scarring, red in random blotches all around my face and fresh acne that likes to pop up around con times?
I found it helped mine but I don't think that's what it's meant for. I have terrible scarring and bad acne and it helps so...might be worth a shot! You could also try a concealer. I haven't used one personally but I've heard they help a lot.
AgentTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I find Maybelline's green corrector to be pretty good. I can never find peach correctors in drug stores so I actually use a bit of cream blush by Sonia Kashuk. Just try to find one with no sparkles. Correctors aren't something I use every day but they really do help when you want a flawless look. For concealers, I've never found one from a drug store that I really like. Since I wear concealer on a daily basis, it's something I've started investing in. I really like the coverage, finish, and lasting power of MAC's Pro Longwear Concealer. It's about $17 USD but I think it's worth it.