Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1426 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #166
ElegantLolita

Now here is a thing. I want to buy circle lenses and was going to buy them from pinky paradise but when I changed it to Canadian currency the 21 dollar lenses jumped to 28 dollars... but the Canadian dollar is really close to the American so why is it so much more expensive?
Where can I buy from that has reasonable Canadian prices?

* I should also mention I'm looking for the super nudy model in particular.

Last edited by ElegantLolita : 05-02-2010 at 01:46 PM.
ElegantLolita is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #167
Her Silhouette

One thing that I would find particularly useful in this FAQ.

Contact lenses for the people with really crappy eyes >_>! Lol. I wear contacts all the time, and I have a few pairs for cosplay that are colored, but every time a new costume comes around I struggle to find a pair of contacts in my prescription because most places don't go higher than -6.0. (My eyes are -7.5 and -8.0, so those definitely are too low for me!)

If anyone has some suggestions for that, I'd be eternally grateful. I'm not looking for expensive ones though, like sfxeyes etc. I know they do my power but you have to drop a car payment to get them. :c

[In Progress]

Still deciding D8

[Past Costumes]
Rosalina - Mario Galaxy May - Pokemon Alice in Wonderland - Lolita White Rabbit -Ragnarok Online- Archbishop Ragnarok Online - Priestess, Whitesmith/Mastersmith - D.Gray-Man - Cross Marian -Super Smash Bros: Brawl - Wa-lolita Kirby - Guilty Gear - Kuradoberi Jam - Pokemon HeartGold - Team Rocket Grunt - Monato Esprit - Shaman
Her Silhouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #168
Ion
イオン

Gah, if they'd ever get around to fixing the edit post issue, I could finish the FAQ. I did have an answer written up but for whatever reason, I can't post over about 1000 characters per post. So, no finished FAQ yet.

Anyway, here's something that may help, Silhouette:
http://www.contactlensheaven.com/colored.html has a list of cosmetic colored lenses and you can see all the brands available with a prescription range that will work for you. There are a lot in the Wesley Jessen & Ciba Vision category. (Note: you need not buy from this site - I'm linking it for information purposes).

Other brands that aren't on that list are Acuvue 2 Colors, Illusions Opaque, Trucolor Elite, and Focus Softcolors Monthly. Many circle lenses range from 0.00 to -10.00. However, it will often depend on the seller and whether they have chosen to stock powered lenses.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #169
Ion
イオン

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElegantLolita View Post
Now here is a thing. I want to buy circle lenses and was going to buy them from pinky paradise but when I changed it to Canadian currency the 21 dollar lenses jumped to 28 dollars... but the Canadian dollar is really close to the American so why is it so much more expensive?
Where can I buy from that has reasonable Canadian prices?

* I should also mention I'm looking for the super nudy model in particular.
Have you checked out Prince Lens? They carry a variety of popular circle lenses and their conversion rate is reasonable. ($20.10 CAD) versus ($20.00 USD) for a pair of Nudy lenses. I think you can probably handle the 10 cent difference.

Your other option would be to call your credit card company and ask what the current exchange rate is. If you go ahead and order from Pinky Paradise in USD but use your credit card, you'll get your credit card company's current exchange rate.

What happens is that businesses often base exchange rates on current trends and don't update them when there are changes. For all we know, they could be using the exchange rate from a few years ago when the USD was quite a bit stronger than the CAD. History lessons aside, there you have it, hope one of these options works for you.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #170
Butterscotch

This was helpful thanks as I plan to try eye contacts for the first time for a cosplay and I will defiantly consult an eye doctor beforehand.
I have two questions;

1. Is the website contactsforless FDA-approved? I have done some research on contact lenses before I read this thread and most of the sites said that only buy contacts if they are FDA approved.

2. I always had fears of putting things into my eyes but I have been debating for ages to give the coloured contacts a try as there is a cosplay I really want to get right and I think the red eye contacts look wonderful on cosplays and convincing therefore I am willing to give them a try. I am just worried that I will spend alot of money on a pair of contacts and will be too scared to put them in my eyes. Is there any tips or advice to get over this fear?

Thanks very much I appreciate it.
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #171
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
This was helpful thanks as I plan to try eye contacts for the first time for a cosplay and I will defiantly consult an eye doctor beforehand.
I have two questions;

1. Is the website contactsforless FDA-approved? I have done some research on contact lenses before I read this thread and most of the sites said that only buy contacts if they are FDA approved.

2. I always had fears of putting things into my eyes but I have been debating for ages to give the coloured contacts a try as there is a cosplay I really want to get right and I think the red eye contacts look wonderful on cosplays and convincing therefore I am willing to give them a try. I am just worried that I will spend alot of money on a pair of contacts and will be too scared to put them in my eyes. Is there any tips or advice to get over this fear?

Thanks very much I appreciate it.
The website (contactsforless) looks like it's legit. They sell FDA-approved lenses and require a prescription.

As for fear of putting lenses in, when you go to the optometrist, they will give you a trial pair to practice putting in before leaving the office. Then you go home and practice putting them in over a week, then go back to confirm they fit right, or to get things fixed if they don't. The first pair (and any other trial pairs such as a different power or colored) they send you home with is included in the lens fitting fee.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #172
Ion
イオン

[placeholder]

CURRENT PROJECTS

Last edited by Ion : 04-03-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Unread 05-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #173
Aya Namida

C'mon somebody help me >.< I'm really having a hard time here.

"Hello people.I need some help.

I want to but red contact lenses, but I'm in europe, so it should be a site that can ship worldwide.I was planning to buy from here (http://www.koreabigeyes.com/) but my friends said that their red wasn't really good.it is just one colour instead of these ones http://www.youknowit.com/online-shop...act-lenses.cfm anyway I want cheap red lenses ^__^ it should be below 40$ including the shipping)

and now I've found them here http://fashioncontact.com/cherry.html

And, second question.I've found very good yellow lenses.it's not one of those freaky yellows, it's not honey/brwon blah blah either.it's called cherry lenses.I found them here (http://coloredcontacts4cheap.com/cherry.html) and I don't know anything about that website.is there anybody who bought lenses from here?"

>.< these yellow lenses are so beautiful *-*

Last edited by Aya Namida : 05-04-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Aya Namida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 02:08 AM   #174
Ion
イオン

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Namida View Post
C'mon somebody help me >.< I'm really having a hard time here ...I want to but red contact lenses, but I'm in europe, so it should be a site that can ship worldwide.I was planning to buy from here (http://www.koreabigeyes.com/) but my friends said that their red wasn't really good.it is just one colour instead of these ones http://www.youknowit.com/online-shop...act-lenses.cfm anyway I want cheap red lenses ^__^ it should be below 40$ including the shipping) and now I've found them here http://fashioncontact.com/cherry.html

And, second question.I've found very good yellow lenses.it's not one of those freaky yellows, it's not honey/brwon blah blah either.it's called cherry lenses.I found them here (http://coloredcontacts4cheap.com/cherry.html) and I don't know anything about that website.is there anybody who bought lenses from here?"
Question 1: I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand your first question. In fact, it seemed more like you were talking yourself through this and found a solution because you liked the lenses linked more than the plain red ones and those are within your budget. You could also check out Create Eyewear brand lenses, they have red lenses with some black detailing. If I missed your question, let me know.

Question 2: I have not heard anything in person about that store. You might want to do a search for reviews of that store and contact them before proceeding.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #175
Butterscotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
The website (contactsforless) looks like it's legit. They sell FDA-approved lenses and require a prescription.

As for fear of putting lenses in, when you go to the optometrist, they will give you a trial pair to practice putting in before leaving the office. Then you go home and practice putting them in over a week, then go back to confirm they fit right, or to get things fixed if they don't. The first pair (and any other trial pairs such as a different power or colored) they send you home with is included in the lens fitting fee.
Thanks. Originally I would of preferred just buying disposable contacts as I wouldn't have to pay lots of money to see an eye doctor just for cosplay. I see the majority are saying go to an eye doctor so I would be best going with the majority. I will have to think about this as contacts are something I really want to try out and they would give you so much freedom with cosplay. They look wonderful for cosplays too. Therefore I guess I would be willing to pay 90E to see an eye doctor and get my eyes tested and measured. At least once you get the prescription there is no need to see an eye doctor unless you had an infection. The trial seems great too.
Unread 05-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #176
Aya Namida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
Question 1: I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand your first question. In fact, it seemed more like you were talking yourself through this and found a solution because you liked the lenses linked more than the plain red ones and those are within your budget. You could also check out Create Eyewear brand lenses, they have red lenses with some black detailing. If I missed your question, let me know.

Question 2: I have not heard anything in person about that store. You might want to do a search for reviews of that store and contact them before proceeding.
Simple, I'm looking for cheap red lenses.I was planning to buy from koreabig eyes, but I decided not to buy it because they are plain.anyways I've just heard that "Create Eyewear brand lenses" from you, they look really good ^_^ thank you very much.

I couldn't find anything about that store, well, I don't have to buy them from there ,I just cannot find those " cherry lenses" anywhere >.<

anyway thanks for your help ^^
Aya Namida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #177
Crystalike
:3

Aya: About those cherry lenses...I HIGHLY doubt that the lenses will look that bright gold on your eyes. It looks like they photoshopped the lense lighter and brighter on the model's eye, and I haven't been able to find any photos of people who bought them.
Crystalike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #178
Ion
イオン

Hey guys, just got this in my email and wanted to share: Prince Lens is running a promo 3 pairs of circle lenses for $40. You have to choose and order on the page, but you can browse around to look at images (meaning, don't add items to your cart separately). I didn't see a deadline so who knows how long the deal is on for. I'm going to order some for sure.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #179
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
Hey guys, just got this in my email and wanted to share: Prince Lens is running a promo 3 pairs of circle lenses for $40. You have to choose and order on the page, but you can browse around to look at images (meaning, don't add items to your cart separately). I didn't see a deadline so who knows how long the deal is on for. I'm going to order some for sure.
Oh poo I wish I was able to wear them. It's so disappointing that few lenses come in my size.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #180
atlantisan

I just ordered from Tokio Shine yesterday morning and received my lenses today in the mail. Jesus christ, talk about fast service. :P They're stationed in Anaheim, CA and I'm from San Diego, CA though, so that probably explains why... haha... But it's great that they shipped the same day! I'm soaking my lenses right now (I got green Dollyeyes) but I will post a review later!

My deviantArt!
Upcoming cons: ALA, Anime Conji, Fanime, Anime Expo
atlantisan is offline   Reply With Quote