Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 211 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #211
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinbarii-Chan View Post
Would buying colored contacts that are $5 be too risky? You see in Downtown L.A. there is a place called the "Los Callejóns" (spanish for the Alleys). There are a lot of people there that sell eye lenses and I wanted to buy a pair. Has anyone bought from the street vendors before? If so were the lenses ok?

Thanks
$5 sounds extremely shady. If they don't require a prescription and call and confirm the prescription, they are selling illegally and need to be reported to your local FDA office. I think street vendors are the worst place you can buy lenses from.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #212
UchihaSasuK8
Fade with the thunder

OK I have a comment that is a little bit of out of left field here: Laser Surgery.

By no means am I suggesting that it is suitable for everyone, or that you would want to do it PURELY for cosplay, but if like me you have appaling vision and hobbies such as scuba diving, or do a lot of driving you may want to consider laser surgery.

It's expensive, and only rec'd to people over 21, but it has changed my life. I found it very difficult or expensive to find the colours lens in my perscription - and I have a friend who owns an opticians! - but now I will be able to buy plano lens. YES!

It also has given me a much better understanding of the need for good contact lens care and correct sizing; the tests performed in a laser surgery consultation are much more detailed than a normal vision check - Your eyes are not "balls" at all! They are more like eggs, or golf balls at best! I have even seen a 3D model of the surface of my normal, completly healthy cornea how wibbly it is and seen how it distorts my vision! Imagine putting the wrong type of contact on top of this and the damage it could do.

If you have a vision problems I sugegst you at least consider a laser surgery consultation - they are often free (in the UK at least) and they can fully explain the risks (yes its not 100%guaranteed to work - it is SURGERY) and determine if you are suitable. But I have found that it was suprising painless (like cutting onions), the results were instantaeous and worth every single penny.
(Feel free to PM if you want to know more about my experience - as its a bit off topic)
UchihaSasuK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #213
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Unfortunately for me, I cannot afford laser eye surgery, and even if I could, colored contact lenses still won't fit my eyes.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
Unread 06-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #214
UchihaSasuK8
Fade with the thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
Unfortunately for me, I cannot afford laser eye surgery, and even if I could, colored contact lenses still won't fit my eyes.
Thats a shame - I meant it more as a comment to the thread in general, rather than a specific suggestion for you, but I really hope that you get some luck with them in the future!
UchihaSasuK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #215
America La

I've been wondering this for quite some time. My next cosplay is of a character with glasses, well bifocal design to be more exact...I think (America from Axis Powers Hetalia). Most people just get a pair of readers to use as his glasses but I already have perscription contacts that I must wear to be able to drive and such. Will putting readers over perscription contacts cause any vision problems?
America La is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #216
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Reading glasses are designed to magnify - if you don't need that magnification power I wouldn't suggest using reading glasses. One of my friends got a pair for cosplay in the lowest power available and ended up with a headache and eyestrain (twitchy eyes) for the day.

Will that necessarily happen to you, perhaps not. But eyes are delicate and doing anything to cause them to work harder (and adding a magnification component you don't need will cause them to work harder in an attempt to focus) is not the best idea, especially since you're already correcting your vision with contact lenses in the first place.

You mentioned that you wear contacts, do you have glasses that you could wear instead? TBH, his frames are a pretty standard shape. Another alternative would be taking your glasses prescription (if you have one) to a cheaper optical place in town like Walmart/Pearle Vision etc. and getting some inexpensive lenses and frames in your prescription so you don't need contacts for the day.

Otherwise, if you saw a cheap pair of readers you really love, you could always remove the lenses and just wear the frames for the look. It works better for photos anyway as lens glare is always a problem in photography.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Lind - Ah My Goddess | Elsa - Frozen (rework costume) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #217
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

There's also the option of getting clear sunglasses. I've seen some simple ones at Claires.

Unread 06-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #218
atlantisan

I would just get a cheap pair of frames from ebay or something and pop out the lenses.

My deviantArt!
Upcoming cons: ALA, Anime Conji, Fanime, Anime Expo
atlantisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #219
Berrymon
Dude!!! It's Berry. :]

I want to buy red contacts and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy them from either one of these sites.
http://pinkyparadise.com/webshaper/s...roductItem=125
http://mycandyeyes.com/en/geo-crazy-...mce-cp-f3.html

I was looking at the Circle Lens link post and I saw that those two websites had good reviews
but then I saw one post saying the opposite of mycandyeyes.com.

Also another thing that I'm scared of is shipping since I need the contact lenses by July 21st.
PinkyParadise say that it will take 14-25 business days and mycandyeyes say it will take 7-14 days
I have about 18 business days so I will probably order them from mycandyeyes but I was wondering how good their shipping is.

Another thing how do you know if a contact lens if a circle lens. I mean the size. When does it become a circle lens. >.< I hope that makes sense.
L. Lawliet(Death Note)
Lambo(KHR)

Future cosplays:
Mukuro Rokudo(KHR)
Orange Jumpsuit Hibari(KHR)
Kanon(Umineko)

Deviantart
Youtube
Berrymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 07:24 AM   #220
America La

Thanks everyone ^_^
I'll probably just get a cheep pair and pop the lenses out since my glasses don't look anything like the character I'm planning on doing. Thanks!
America La is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #221
atlantisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrymon View Post
I want to buy red contacts and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy them from either one of these sites.
http://pinkyparadise.com/webshaper/s...roductItem=125
http://mycandyeyes.com/en/geo-crazy-...mce-cp-f3.html

I was looking at the Circle Lens link post and I saw that those two websites had good reviews
but then I saw one post saying the opposite of mycandyeyes.com.

Also another thing that I'm scared of is shipping since I need the contact lenses by July 21st.
PinkyParadise say that it will take 14-25 business days and mycandyeyes say it will take 7-14 days
I have about 18 business days so I will probably order them from mycandyeyes but I was wondering how good their shipping is.

Another thing how do you know if a contact lens if a circle lens. I mean the size. When does it become a circle lens. >.< I hope that makes sense.
Pinkyparadise usually takes around 2 weeks to the USA on average, so I would say it's safe to order and get it by July 21st. But take note that they are not shipping June 25th and June 28th. However they do add the option of the Economic Express (3-7 days) for extra money. AFAIK Pinkyparadise is a very reliable site. I've never ordered from mycandyeyes so I wouldn't know.

----

Edit: I have a question - does anybody know a reliable site to order Hyper Circle Grey lenses? The manufacturer is Hana SPC/Vassen. They're out of stock on pinkyparadise and I know you can get them on Honeycolor, but pinky is cheaper & they don't charge you for the customs thing. @_@

I also need them in -7.00 prescription... so... ;-; I guess I'd be willing to wait for pinky to restock them, but yeah.

My deviantArt!

Last edited by atlantisan : 06-25-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Unread 06-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #222
Berrymon

Thank you Atlantisan.

Though I was looking at them and now I'm wondering are the red contacts going to be like circle lenses?

Since I'm planning to use them for Mukuro and he has a red eye and a blue eye. I don't want one of my eyes to look bigger than the other one. lol
L. Lawliet(Death Note)
Lambo(KHR)

Future cosplays:
Mukuro Rokudo(KHR)
Kanon(Umineko)

Deviantart
Youtube
Unread 06-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #223
atlantisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrymon View Post
Thank you Atlantisan.

Though I was looking at them and now I'm wondering are the red contacts going to be like circle lenses?

Since I'm planning to use them for Mukuro and he has a red eye and a blue eye. I don't want one of my eyes to look bigger than the other one. lol
They don't have a dark ring around them so I guess they aren't considered to be circle lenses. If you don't want one eye to look bigger than the other, just look for another of the same diameter (14.0mm). Of course, your eyes won't look completely symmetrical since it's two opposing colors so one eye will be more piercing than the other.

My deviantArt!
Unread 06-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #224
Berrymon

Thanks again!
L. Lawliet(Death Note)
Lambo(KHR)

Future cosplays:
Mukuro Rokudo(KHR)
Kanon(Umineko)

Deviantart
Youtube
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #225
Regan

Would anyone be so kind as to give some recommendations as to where to buy decently priced unnatural FX lenses that come in prescription powers? I'm looking for a pair of zombie-type contacts (ideally the white with a black ring style I've seen around, but any sort would work save for pure white) - but nearly every store I've come across comes in 0.00 power only. Googling and this thread have given me one or two US stores with prescriptions, but to the tune of 3 times what you lucky 20/20 vision folks can get them for.

I'm thinking overseas shops would be my best bet, but so far no dice. Has anyone had any luck with these sort of contacts?
Regan is online now   Reply With Quote