Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1428 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #241
Berrymon
Dude!!! It's Berry. :]

Hello :]
So I will be cosplaying mukuro and he has a red eye and a blue one.
Though sadly I couldn't get red contacts in time.
I was wondering what would your opinion be on me wearing only the blue contact and my other eye being my natural eye color which is light brown.

My cosplay is still incomplete(I need the jacket and trident). And I was thinking if I wore the blue contact it will make it better, but I'm also thinking I should not and just wait until I get the red contact and finish the rest of my cosplay.

So what would be a good idea for you?

I didn't want to make a new thread cause I figured that there would be a quick answer.
L. Lawliet(Death Note)
Lambo(KHR)

Future cosplays:
Mukuro Rokudo(KHR)
Orange Jumpsuit Hibari(KHR)
Kanon(Umineko)

Deviantart
Youtube
Berrymon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #242
Ashe Nyte
Retired tentacle demon...

???

I have perfect vision. Will I still be able to get a perscription or should I just give up? I really want some red contacts for two of my costumes.
Vincent Valentine from Fina Fantasy 7 50% done

Reality is tempered by what we percieve. How then, are we to know what is real an what is imagined?
Ashe Nyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #243
Ion
イオン

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrymon View Post
Hello :]
So I will be cosplaying mukuro and he has a red eye and a blue one.
Though sadly I couldn't get red contacts in time.
I was wondering what would your opinion be on me wearing only the blue contact and my other eye being my natural eye color which is light brown.
TBH, people don't notice your eye color unless they are about 3-4 feet from you and even so, anyone with a bit of sense will understand that contact lenses are not for everyone (meaning some people can't handle putting things in their eyes, some people have insufficient funds for them, some people like you didn't have time to get lenses, etc etc). Whatever the case may be, I always think it would be more prudent to focus on major details (like your costume & footwear) first before worrying about small things like eye color. You can always use a photo-editing program to make the color red in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe Nyte View Post
I have perfect vision. Will I still be able to get a perscription or should I just give up? I really want some red contacts for two of my costumes.
Yes, presuming your eyes are suited for contact lenses, you'll get a prescription that will tell the base curve and diameter of the lenses you need. For people who need vision correction, their prescription would include a lens power. Regardless, the script will contain essential information that will help you get the correct lenses for your eyes whether cosmetic or otherwise Getting a prescription from a doctor is definitely worth it and a much safer process than randomly buying lenses without knowing what you're getting into.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #244
BiZ
fantastic plastic machine

Hi there, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but have you found/heard of any user reviews for the new ad up on CosCom's front page: the website PrettyCircleLens.com?
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #245
Crystalike
:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiZ View Post
Hi there, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but have you found/heard of any user reviews for the new ad up on CosCom's front page: the website PrettyCircleLens.com?
I never heard of their store until the ad popped up on the front page...I took a look and it seems legit, but that's the first circle lens shop that i've seen without sections for customer reviews, and you have to already know the brands of contacts they're selling to know the diameter and base curve of the lenses.
Crystalike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #246
RoseHanabira

Spurred by the ad for PrettyCircleLens.com, is it common for sites that sell contacts to have sales? I fully believe that you get what you pay for and there's no cheaping out when it comes to your eyes, but the bargain hunter in me wonders if it's possible to get the exact same lenses from a reputable store for a better deal.
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 03:30 AM   #247
Annie-Mei

Talk to your optometrist. They sell GEO lenses http://www.geo21eye.com/ , your doctor and look them up in the catalog and tell you whether or not they are FDA approved (if they aren't, avoid them at all costs).

Your optometrist will carry a catalog of all brands that are FDA approved. HAve a look through their catalog. And the catalog will include several Cosmetic/Halloween contact brands ( like Ciba Vision and Cooper Vision - there are others)

Last edited by Annie-Mei : 07-29-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Annie-Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #248
Crystalike
:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHanabira View Post
Spurred by the ad for PrettyCircleLens.com, is it common for sites that sell contacts to have sales? I fully believe that you get what you pay for and there's no cheaping out when it comes to your eyes, but the bargain hunter in me wonders if it's possible to get the exact same lenses from a reputable store for a better deal.
Actually, yes. Tokioshine, PinkyParadise, and other reputable online circle lens stores have promotion deals and sales quite often to boost sales and to get rid of old stock as they get new stock in.
Crystalike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #249
BiZ
fantastic plastic machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Mei View Post
Talk to your optometrist. They sell GEO lenses http://www.geo21eye.com/ , your doctor and look them up in the catalog and tell you whether or not they are FDA approved (if they aren't, avoid them at all costs).

Your optometrist will carry a catalog of all brands that are FDA approved. HAve a look through their catalog. And the catalog will include several Cosmetic/Halloween contact brands ( like Ciba Vision and Cooper Vision - there are others)
I didn't even realize this. Thank you for the great advice! I think I will do just that and see what I can come up with.
Unread 07-31-2010, 01:09 AM   #250
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

So as I've mentioned many times before, I have an 8.8bc. I'm curious about these circle lenses(14.4mm dia?), would they fit my eyes or is the base curve the same as a 14mm diameter lens?

Why do I have to have such a difficult prescription to match?

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #251
rchcc122
Gotta respect the gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
TBH, people don't notice your eye color unless they are about 3-4 feet from you and even so, anyone with a bit of sense will understand that contact lenses are not for everyone (meaning some people can't handle putting things in their eyes, some people have insufficient funds for them, some people like you didn't have time to get lenses, etc etc). Whatever the case may be, I always think it would be more prudent to focus on major details (like your costume & footwear) first before worrying about small things like eye color. You can always use a photo-editing program to make the color red in the meantime.
So, in other words- to answer my own question- the eye contacts are not horribly horribly essential to the cosplay... right?
I ask because I'm going to be going into college soon, and I wanted an easy cosplay to do so that it's not expensive to put together and simple to bring around and so I've figured Death the Kid (Soul Eater) would be a great choice. But he has yellow eyes. But I'm going to be a college student which means little to no money- and I'd rather spend what money I do have on things like the actual costume itself, the wig, and the con rather than a trip to the optometrist (I have 20/20 vision otherwise) and contacts. Plus I get allergies, and my eyes get irritated easily.

For those who are tl;dr:

Even though contacts certainly enhance a costume, they aren't 100% necessary to make a cosplay good, right?
Kaito Jeanne (Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne- 10%), Sailor Venus (Sailor Moon- 20%), Cowboy!America (Hetalia- 50%), Rainbow Brite (Rainbow Brite- 10%), Railgun (A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Index - 10%)

Facebook- Almost to 200 likes!

Arizona cosplayer?
rchcc122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #252
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchcc122 View Post
So, in other words- to answer my own question- the eye contacts are not horribly horribly essential to the cosplay... right?
I ask because I'm going to be going into college soon, and I wanted an easy cosplay to do so that it's not expensive to put together and simple to bring around and so I've figured Death the Kid (Soul Eater) would be a great choice. But he has yellow eyes. But I'm going to be a college student which means little to no money- and I'd rather spend what money I do have on things like the actual costume itself, the wig, and the con rather than a trip to the optometrist (I have 20/20 vision otherwise) and contacts. Plus I get allergies, and my eyes get irritated easily.

For those who are tl;dr:

Even though contacts certainly enhance a costume, they aren't 100% necessary to make a cosplay good, right?
I think you shouldn't have to wear contacts. For one, they can get a bit expensive, and you'd only be wearing them a few times. Most likely people won't see the eyes or if they're the right color. I've cosplayed characters with different colored eyes, but I never get contacts (mainly because I can't get colored contacts to fit my prescription), I spend my time/money on making sure the costume itself is perfect.

Colored contacts are the last thing you should worry about for your costume, but they aren't absolutely necessary, and most people won't notice unless they're two inches from your face.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
Unread 08-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #253
atlantisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
So as I've mentioned many times before, I have an 8.8bc. I'm curious about these circle lenses(14.4mm dia?), would they fit my eyes or is the base curve the same as a 14mm diameter lens?

Why do I have to have such a difficult prescription to match?
As far as I know, most circle lenses have an 8.6 base curve.

My deviantArt!
Upcoming cons: ALA, Anime Conji, Fanime, Anime Expo
atlantisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #254
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantisan View Post
As far as I know, most circle lenses have an 8.6 base curve.
What I mean is, is the bc on a 14.4mm dia lens the exact same as on a 14mm dia lens?

Unread 08-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #255
atlantisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
What I mean is, is the bc on a 14.4mm dia lens the exact same as on a 14mm dia lens?
Are those toric lenses? Because I don't think regular circle lenses come in 14.4 diameters usually. It's often 14.0, 14.2, or 14.5. If they're toric, then don't they come with a different bc?

My deviantArt!
Upcoming cons: ALA, Anime Conji, Fanime, Anime Expo
atlantisan is offline   Reply With Quote