Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1124 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #361
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEYOashley View Post
I apologize if this has been requested before, but has anyone tried the glow-in-the-dark lenses? Just want to see how effective they were in-glowing, any irritations, etc.
I just bought these lenses. I just got them, so thus far I've only tried them out for an hour or so, but I'm quite happy with them. These particular lenses only glow under a blacklight, but they glow quite brightly, and they still look really cool in normal light.

For reference, I have rather dark green eyes.

Normal Light: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2851345/
Blacklight: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2851354/ (It was hard to really capture the glow, but you can get an idea, at least)

So far, I've found them to be quite comfortable. The only minor annoyance is that, due to the size of the colored portion of the lens, your vision is somewhat affected. You can see a hint of red, moreso when you move your eyes. It's slightly irritating, but not a big deal, and it's a common issue with cosmetic lenses like this. I had the same issue with the regular red lenses I had before. Just takes some getting used to.

Hope this helps!
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

.x.x.x. Costume journal, tutorials, and general wackiness here .x.x.x.
Pixie of Death is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #362
HEYOashley
Cosplaying again

Hmmm. I like the way those look, but I think I'd prefer one that glowed in the dark. It doesn't have to be super strong, but I am only planning on showing off the costume at night.

Current Projects
Filia 0%
Fantisma: 10%
Tsubasa's School Outfit: 10%
Kneesocks: 10%
HEYOashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #363
kumi-kun

Okay I've been thinking of buying my first (coloured) contacts. But I have a couple of questions.

First I have never worn contacts before, I only know that my eyes are pretty sensitive and tend to tear a lot whatever the situation. I imagine it might be handy to first visit the eye doctor, but since that is not very easy. Is there anyone with senstive eyes here that wears coloured contacts as well?

Secondly while I cosplay at most cons photographing is my priority. And so I was wondering of contacts in any way influence ones sight? Are things darker perhaps? Or can it take quite a while(hours) before it's possible to see perfectly? I have to 'look' through my camera's lens and I have been told that with little light it's harder to see. Is this true?

Well thanks for any answers in advance. And sorry if they have been asked before!
kumi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #364
Ion
Lyrical gangster

@Kumi-kun
Definitely make an appointment with an eye doctor to be fitted for lenses. In addition, they may be able to recommend certain lenses made from materials that will be better for your sensitive eyes and/or give you a lens cleaning system and rewetting drops that will not irritate your eyes.

As to vision issues, the answer is that it will depend on what lenses you get as well as your eyes. Lenses might slide off center if you have a slight to moderate astigmatism. Some lenses have the color printed very close to the pupil hole as well. In cases like the aforementioned, you may see a "ring" or "haze" of color around the edges of your visual field, but they should not affect your ability to safely navigate etc. There are other lenses which leave the area immediately around the pupil hole clear which does not cause "rings" of color at all so it is completely dependent on the lenses and the individual.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #365
KratosSamurai2
Rookie Cosplayer

So my base curve is 8.4, but the curve on most of the sites I've been looking at is 8.6 and they don't seem to offer lenses with different curves. How bad would it be for me to wear a lense with an 8.6 base curve?

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed the search function.

Last edited by KratosSamurai2 : 05-11-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Found the answer to my question.
KratosSamurai2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #366
Acronymsoup66

I've actually been thinking about contacts too.

I'm doing Kakyuu from Sailor Moon. She of course has brown eyes (which i have) in the anime, and red eyes in the manga. So I've been looking for a happy in-between.

Brown contacts that look natural with a red hint, or just-- red contacts that don't show up on the eye too well (opposite of what everyone else wants lol).

I do have a mighty big prescription though in both my eyes so that's also a slight problem.
Acronymsoup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #367
E. Hyde
likes synthetic fibers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronymsoup66 View Post
I've actually been thinking about contacts too.

I'm doing Kakyuu from Sailor Moon. She of course has brown eyes (which i have) in the anime, and red eyes in the manga. So I've been looking for a happy in-between.

Brown contacts that look natural with a red hint, or just-- red contacts that don't show up on the eye too well (opposite of what everyone else wants lol).

I do have a mighty big prescription though in both my eyes so that's also a slight problem.
I came across these when looking for red lenses: http://www.honeycolor.com/super-pinky-wine-red.html

Never ordered from honeycolor.com but it seems to have good reviews.
E. Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #368
Acronymsoup66

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Hyde View Post
I came across these when looking for red lenses: http://www.honeycolor.com/super-pinky-wine-red.html

Never ordered from honeycolor.com but it seems to have good reviews.
I actually really like those! Thank you for your help!
Acronymsoup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #369
Convulsive
My name is Kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumi-kun View Post
First I have never worn contacts before, I only know that my eyes are pretty sensitive and tend to tear a lot whatever the situation. I imagine it might be handy to first visit the eye doctor, but since that is not very easy. Is there anyone with senstive eyes here that wears coloured contacts as well?
ooh, I am like this. My first con was my first time EVER wearing coloured contacts. Before the con I kept trying to put in 'tester contacts' so i didn't damage my cosplay contacts, and was too afraid to have the feeling of something in my eye. But morning of the con, I got over it because I was so damn excited. When I first put them in, both eyes teared up and some tears even came down. What I did was cleaned out my eye (with contact still in) with eyedrops (about 3 in the far corner), tilted my head, and let it all come out my tearduct. They stopped watering and I wore them for 12+ hours without discomfort! The only thing that might weird you out is, they feel like tiny suction cups on your eyes, because that's what they are. I went in the bathroom every 3 hours to move and shift them around a little to let in oxygen and 'clean them off' in case makeup got in my eye. I also had no problem with shift in lighting or flash photography, although when my pupils changed size my eyesight went a bit foggy, but would correct itself after a few seconds.
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #370
IsabelIsabel

Hello everyone, I have really dar eyes and in addition to that I have miopia, how do you think is it possible for me to find contacts that would work for me? Thanks a lot in advance!

You can switch encoding parameters of end files such as example frequencyp

free converter wav to mp3
IsabelIsabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #371
Methusalah
methusalah

contacts are NOT required to have a consultation of a doctor unless you want them to help your vision. all costume and cosplay contacts can be found to simply cover the eye and are way less expensive
Methusalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #372
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methusalah View Post
contacts are NOT required to have a consultation of a doctor unless you want them to help your vision. all costume and cosplay contacts can be found to simply cover the eye and are way less expensive
Actually, laws vary by country but as is stated in the first post of the FAQ, US residents are required to see an eye doctor for a prescription regardless of whether they are seeking cosmetic or powered lenses. Lenses are not one-size-fits-all and you can have perfect vision with non-standard measurements so knowing your prescription IS important whether your country requires it or not.

Lens fitting sessions can be quite affordable. Often there are discount vouchers for $50 eye exams/lens fittings on the internet and Walmart Vision Centers also offer inexpensive fittings. Lenses that are not right for you can mean discomfort, inflammation, swelling, abrasion, lack of oxygen to your eyes, or could in rare cases result in permanent tissue damage and blindness all of which can be far more costly than that initial fitting session.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #373
Axelai
I'm Awesome

I need help x__x;; I have a lot of trouble putting contact lenses in. Whenever I try to put one in, I end up blinking and can't get it in. Even when I hold my eyelid open, my eyelid escapes my fingers and finds a way to blink anyways to stop the lenses from going in. Not to mention I have smallish eyes, so when I hold my eyes open, its not open as far as when my friends do it.

Any tips on getting the lenses in?

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #374
Origin
Just A Work In Progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
I need help x__x;; I have a lot of trouble putting contact lenses in. Whenever I try to put one in, I end up blinking and can't get it in. Even when I hold my eyelid open, my eyelid escapes my fingers and finds a way to blink anyways to stop the lenses from going in. Not to mention I have smallish eyes, so when I hold my eyes open, its not open as far as when my friends do it.

Any tips on getting the lenses in?
Looking off to one side can help with this, so your eye doesn't blink as much in reaction.

They Will See... We'll Fight Until Eternity...
Come With Me, We'll Stand And Fight...
Together.
Through Our Strength We'll Make A Better Day Tomorrow...
We Shall Never Surrender.

Sakuracon '14~ Redeemed Riven= League of Legends
Secret Cosplay= Attack on Titan
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #375
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin View Post
Looking off to one side can help with this, so your eye doesn't blink as much in reaction.
But when I look off to the side, I can't see what I'm doing. My girlfriend told me to tilt my head up and look up, which is what I try to do. But if I look away, I can't see what I'm doing and therefore can't put in the contact lens.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote