Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1124 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #376
DoodlePanda
Banana Hammocks

Practice, haha. Lots and lots of practice. It is beyond frustrating at first, I absolutely hated putting contacts in. But you get the hang of it, after awhile. I prefer wearing glasses, myself, and only ever bothered getting a contact prescription for cosplaying. XD

And honestly, looking up does help a lot, once you know what you're doing you don't really have to watch what you're doing. Though for me I just like having my head tilted back so the contact doesn't roll off my finger when I try to lift it into my eye. XD

Anyways...What I do is, for example on my right eye, take my right hand and use it to pull up and hold my top lid. Then using my left hand, I hold the bottom lid down with my middle+ring fingers, and put in the contact using my index finger. Because I had major issues when it comes to blinking as well. DX
DoodlePanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #377
WaffleKitty101

I'm 14 years old and am considering getting green opaque lenses (I have extremely dark eyes). Thanks for all the information, I'll go to see an eye doctor soon and ask for a free trial of some lenses. I'll also pass this on to some of my friends so they know about the possible complications :3
WaffleKitty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #378
PosiTori

My optometrist ordered my contacts through this site. http://www.cosmetic-lens.com/ He said the contacts on this site have been FDA approved.
PosiTori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #379
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Thanks for sharing the link. I have added it to the list of places to shop from!

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #380
America La

Sorry if someone has asked this question before, but I've been wondering this for awhile.
I already wear contacts, already have a contact perscription, all that jazz, so do I need to go to the optometrist again for colored contacts, or does my current (and recently updated) perscription for my normal contacts also work for colored ones?

Jack Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
Maybe something from Pokemon
America La is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #381
Ion
Lyrical gangster

America La: Your current prescription should be fine unless your eye doctor has written it in such a way that it can only be used to purchase specified lenses lenses. Most eye doctors just write your "take home" prescription with measurements and power (if needed) and do not specify a specific brand etc. though.

If you order online from a company like Coastal Contacts, you can just input your doctor's office information and the company will verify it for you. If you already know what lenses you want to buy, you could even have your eye doctor's office submit the order for you. Sometimes they can do get special treatment that normal consumers cannot such as discounts and/ or the ability to return the lenses if they do not work out for you. Might be worth calling and asking. Good luck!

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Unread 06-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #382
SallyValentine

Hi! Looking for contacts for a Sebastian Michaelis cosplay, this is very useful
Anyway, I've got a question that will probably sound sooo stupid... It's like the 'You versus parents' part, but I've got the opposite problem. My parents have no problem with me actually getting lenses, but they say I shouldn't go to the eye doctor. My dad's all like 'Oh, just take a chance.' and my mom's like 'Oh, you don't need measurements for plano lenses, I should know, I wore contacts 20 years ago.' or 'Are you sure you need your eyes measured? Prove it.' or 'Why do you want to go to a doctor?'... Because I don't wanna go blind, mom!
So, basically, my question is, do you have any so called 'horror stories' from people, that will convince my parents to pay the 45 euro to go to the opt... *insert word I can't pronounce here*
Although, on the other hand, I don't want to scare my mom so much that she completely won't let me get contacts altogether...
I don't know if I'm putting across quite how frustrating my parents can be :/ Gosh, I sound like a twit, but really, they're supposed to be looking out for me, not encouraging me to take risks with my health... Sorry for ranting, but how can I convince these people to take me to the doc's?
SallyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #383
KnightJeran
Calling Major Tom

**No idea if someone asked this question, but I don't know what to search for to find it and what I did search got me nothing**

So I'm 18 in the US and I'm wondering how I can get my eyes measured for contacts. I don't wear glasses or contacts at all (anymore). Is there a cheap/er way to get my eyes measured without going to my legit eye doctor (he'll be all "nooooooo, you look pretty already") and ask questions, make me buy contacts through him, and tell my parents about it. Is there a way to get fitted without parents or insurance? What do I do with the prescription if I do get one?

2013: Dean Winchester/Castiel/Sherlock/Kitty Riley/Rainbow Dash/Spike/Timmy Turner/Canada/Fai/Kraehe

My Cosplays +++ My Cosplay DeviantArt +++ My Art DeviantArt +++ My Marketplace Ads
KnightJeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #384
Ion
Lyrical gangster

I posted this offer a while ago and it appears to still be valid. Just follow the directions as the process seems quite easy. That said, $50 for an eye exam is quite a deal. I presume this offer was designed to give people without insurance/vision coverage an affordable opportunity to get a yearly eye exam, so it seems legit and without hidden costs, just $50 + tax.

Once you have completed the exam and gotten fitted, you can either order your lenses through the office which can have benefits (deals not given to consumers, returns etc.) or you can take the prescription and shop online (you may have to either upload the prescription or leave the doctor's information for verification). Probably the longest part of the process would be making an appointment which is dependent upon the office's backlog. Good luck!

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #385
Hammiekia
Magical Hamster Lady

I have a question. This might have already been asked, but I'm too lazy to go through twenty-something pages of text to look for it.
So, my contact prescription says

OD- SPH: +2.00 CYL: -1.75 AXIS: 020
OS- SPH: +1.00 CYL: -1.75 AXIS: 160

I've read up on the converting astigmatism to normal contacts (as opposed to getting toric lenses) but what I don't get is this. The first number, SPH, is a - for the person who asked. Mine is a plus. How...how can I make it work? Dx Or should I just get plano lenses and run around not being able to see?

Thanks!
Hammiekia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #386
darkwings23

Question what should i get?

hey... i am nearsighted and i also have preglochoma... would it be alright if i got colored contacts even though i have this condition? i am cosplaying dark mousy and don't want to be injured (glochoma related) from this... any advice? (yes i wear glasses)
darkwings23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #387
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwings23 View Post
hey... i am nearsighted and i also have preglochoma... would it be alright if i got colored contacts even though i have this condition? i am cosplaying dark mousy and don't want to be injured (glochoma related) from this... any advice? (yes i wear glasses)
That is something only your eye doctor can answer. Your first step should be asking if you can safely wear contact lenses, then proceed to get a formal fitting.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #388
darkwings23

thanks buone problem

thanks a lot for that reply... but there is one problem... i cannot see hardly at all without my glasses (yes it's that bad), would you still reccommend this?
darkwings23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #389
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwings23 View Post
thanks a lot for that reply... but there is one problem... i cannot see hardly at all without my glasses (yes it's that bad), would you still reccommend this?
There is no harm in asking your eye doctor if you can wear lenses. They should know your history well enough to give you an answer free of charge.

That said, they can make prescription lenses to suit many people's needs, I can attest to that. I have a severe astigmatism and while my regular lenses are a bit pricier and thicker as they are custom made, I can see fine with them. The technology is exists.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 07-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #390
bcmilk

Hi~ This thread has helped me a lot but is it possible to have a friend help you insert the contact lens the first time?
bcmilk is offline   Reply With Quote