Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1108 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #406
Tomoe_Gozen

Hello all!

So I'm having trouble finding colored contacts for one eye because my prescription is really weird.

One eye is -7.00 power, but has an astigmatism; not too bad, since most sellers go up to -8.00. But my other eye goes up to -9.00, but doesn't have an astigmatism. It's just a regular Acuvue 2.

The problem is, I can't seem to find anything that goes up that high; I checked the list of high-prescription lenses (even the unlisted ones like Acuvue2), but only one of them goes up to -9.00. However, it looks like it's been about two years since that list was updated. Does anyone know of any sellers who cater to my whacked out prescription?

(I don't know if this affects anything, but to top it all off, my eyes lean more towards "Black" than "Brown".)

EDIT: Scratch that, even the one seller I mentioned has been discontinued.
Tomoe_Gozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #407
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Tomoe Gozen, basically your best bet would be to contact a company that makes custom lenses like 9mmsfx etc. They will make anything you request if it can be made. I asked for a quote once and they were very helpful and communicated efficiently.

You could also ask your eye doctor to try and get said lenses custom made through the office's connections. I feel your pain though, I probably will never own a pair of custom lenses I can see through due to costs. The regular lenses are expensive enough, lol.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #408
X_Rikku_X
Getto daze!

@Ion:
I noticed that you did some reviews on contact lens that don't come in astigmatism prescription (DollyEye, iFairy, etc). Did you order them with just your power prescription or did you get plano and wear glasses over them? Are they comfortable (do they slide around a lot)? And is your vision clear with them on? Thank you for your time!
Unread 10-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #409
Ion
Lyrical gangster

X_Rikku_X: I just buy plano lenses and wear glasses over them. There is no way to convert my toric prescription to something for spherical (regular) lenses, it is just too high. That said, I never have a problem with lenses sliding or being uncomfortable despite the severity of my astigmatism. As to my vision clarity, I cannot really answer that. With plano lenses in, my vision is what it is uncorrected. However, with my glasses on, everything looks fine to me. LOL

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Unread 10-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #410
X_Rikku_X
Getto daze!

Thanks for the reply! My fitted toric lenses don't give me consistent clear vision so I was wondering about just getting plano and wearing glasses over them. Now I know it's good to go~ C:
Unread 10-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #411
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Not exactly related to the thread, but feel like sharing as it is somewhat related:
It saddens me how this time of year (Halloween), you see more and more shops in the US selling contact lenses illegally. Be warned! Watch out for these places and do not purchase from them.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:18 AM   #412
Berenice
-NaruSakuHina-

Thanks Ion

Noob question

So I bought a vial of GEO Magic Color Lenses.
Ofc, I open it.
The solution in the vial--- I will discard it
The contact lens = DO I...

A) Put it in my eye already?
B) Soak it first in contact lens solution and then put it in my eye?

I dunno if the solution in the vial is lens solution or some.. preserving chemical thing xD

Also!!!
If I haven't worn lenses for a long time, should I "practice" wearing it?
Like... on the first day, 2 hours wear
2nd day, 4 hours wear
etc and it increases until I get used to it?
Berenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #413
Tigersoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenice View Post
The contact lens = DO I...
A) Put it in my eye already?
B) Soak it first in contact lens solution and then put it in my eye?
-snip-
If I haven't worn lenses for a long time, should I "practice" wearing it?
Like... on the first day, 2 hours wear
2nd day, 4 hours wear
etc and it increases until I get used to it?
1. You can. Its typically a normal sailine or sodium bicarb (?) solution, when I got my first pair the optometrist had me open the blister pack and go straight to my eye. However if you have very sensative eyes and cant use most solutions, it's best to soak them overnight in your usual solution first. (if you like you can soak then 1 night, discard the solution, then soak them a second to make sure they're 'clean')

2. YES! If you havnt worn them in a long time or havn't worn them "long term" you need to 'train' your eye. Otherwise after a few hours they may become itchy or downright painful. (If I go more than a month without wearing mine, the MAX I can stand on the first day is 4 hours, usually no more than 2.5) Also if they impair vision (are opaque iris) it will help you get used to the lower periferal vision so your not bumping into people as much at a con.

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 04:57 AM   #414
Berenice
-NaruSakuHina-

moved to thread

Last edited by Berenice : 10-13-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Berenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #415
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

so my friend and I are kind in an argument, she says if she puts her lenses on like is described in the pictures, the printed side would be touching her eyes and wouldnt even start to stick, and the pattern wouldn't show, it would be solid color... she wears them all the time for cosplay and doesn't ever have problems with most of them bothering her at all (with the exception of a few lenses that were okay at first but over a few wears bothered her...)... so what's going on here? She also said her doctor told her to put them in with the edges out...
She thinks it might be that she's just seeing it as turned out, but maybe when we flip them it will be even more so?
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #416
Aesceus
Local Moose Friend

Are Plano lenses thicker than coloured lenses that.. well. Aren't Plano? I have a pair of blue contacts similar in style to this in that it's not COMPLETELY coloured - there are some 'blank' spots. The plano lenses I have, in red and blue, are similar to this in which they are a completely unrealistic, solid colour.

But for some reason, the Plano kind of... hurt? Even though I soaked them and sprayed them, I had a hard time getting them in, and after, they kept swimming around when I blinked/moved my head and were causing me problems to the point that I, covered in TROLL PAINT, stabbed myself in the eye haphazardly to get them out.

Is it the style? Brand? Thickness? The lenses I bought /from a con vendor/ are super comfy and I wore them for a long time before with no problem (except playing DDR, but that was a little dumb of me, huhu) Considering my green/blue pair work fine, I don't know why my plano didn't?

Hal-Con 2013:
Garudamon - 15%
Amon - 10%
Aesceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #417
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Aesceus: It is going to depend on a number of things. Some people can only wear certain brands or styles of lenses. Also, there is often a noticeable difference in thickness between trial lenses/ daily disposables versus regular wear lenses but I imagine that the plano lenses you have are 30/60/90 day or yearly lenses?

In short, if the lenses always bother your eyes, avoid wearing them.You may have defective or dirty lenses. If you take them to your optometrist they can have a look and see if there are any tears, abrasions, or buildup causing the irritation.

Do they always hurt when you have tried wearing them? Another possibility is that you had something in your eyes and put the lenses in over whatever effectively trapping the debris.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #418
Aesceus
Local Moose Friend

That was the first time I wore my plano's. I wore my not-opaque lenses multiple times before for past the recommended hours with no problems (ehhhh...).
My red/blue are yearly, but I didn't get them so long ago that it was over a year ago. Two months at best and I keep changing the fluid stuff just in case for both types.
I'll see what my optometrist has to say. He might tell me to stop wearing them completely because I have a hard time getting my good lenses in; shutter eye and all that. Once they're in they're fine and taking them out is easy. My friend was denied contacts because it took her too long to put in, so I hope they don't make me demonstrate, hahaha.

Hal-Con 2013:
Garudamon - 15%
Amon - 10%
Aesceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 02:37 AM   #419
XMilesxFeebieX
man-girl thing that yells

hey, i was wondering if you have any recommended sites to buy mesh lenses from?
a white pair, and a red pair
i cant do foureyez.com i've bought from there and ouch
those contacts didnt fit and then never answered any of my emails.
just bad service

but anywhere i can get mesh/screen contacts?
thanks C:
Friday: Mugen; Samurai Champloo
Saturday: Bunny Suit Panty; Panty and Stocking
Sunday: Wonderland Alois Trancy; Kuroshitsuji II

I'M AWKWARD!
let's party C;
XMilesxFeebieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #420
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMilesxFeebieX View Post
hey, i was wondering if you have any recommended sites to buy mesh lenses from?
a white pair, and a red pair
i cant do foureyez.com i've bought from there and ouch
those contacts didnt fit and then never answered any of my emails.
just bad service

but anywhere i can get mesh/screen contacts?
thanks C:
If your in the USA the only place I can legally recommend is 9mmSFX, who do custom work. I've not seen these for sale in the USA. There might be some sites selling them illegally, but I cant recommend those.

If your in the UK there is a huge site that sells them as well as tons of other lenses, if you want to know PM me, I cant post it because they also will illegally sell their lenses in the USA...
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote