Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1133 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #31
Spinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinbox View Post
it depends on the lens
soft lenses can be for daily, bi-weekly, monthly or annual use
if you post the brand name of the lens maybe some one with the same lenses can tell you how long it's good for
Ah okay! ^^ Thank you!

Unfortunately the small box it came in was discarded a few weeks ago (Because I was travelling to an expo with the lenses and I'm an idiot >.<; )

Unread 06-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #32
Horu-chan
Aspiring Magical Girl

I have a question. I have prescription glasses but if I want to start to use contacts to make my cosplays look better, could I buy none prescription colour contacts and wear them with my prescription glasses on? Would that affect my eyes in any way?
(Field's of Hope) Lacus Clyne from Gundam Seed Destiny

Conventions:
East Coast Comic Expo (May 18th)
Animaritime (June 28th-30th)
Harbour Con-Fusion (August 2nd-4th)
Hal-con (November 8th-10th)
Horu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #33
Geek Fairy

Kyaa, I did a dumb thing. XD I purchased contact DAILY CLEANSER, and contact REWETTING DROPS. But I don't think either of those are lens SOLUTION... D: What do I soak my contacts in, in the lens case?
Geek Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #34
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horu-chan View Post
I have a question. I have prescription glasses but if I want to start to use contacts to make my cosplays look better, could I buy none prescription colour contacts and wear them with my prescription glasses on? Would that affect my eyes in any way?
There is nothing wrong with wearing plano (non-prescription) contacts and wearing your glasses over them (and possibly removing the glasses for pics??). This won't effect your eyes. However, you will need to get to an optometrist to have your eyes measured for base curve and diameter so you know what lenses will fit.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #35
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek Fairy View Post
Kyaa, I did a dumb thing. XD I purchased contact DAILY CLEANSER, and contact REWETTING DROPS. But I don't think either of those are lens SOLUTION... D: What do I soak my contacts in, in the lens case?
Each brand has its own system and products that are used together. Many brands like Optifree are combination solutions that you soak and store lenses in. But again, each brand is different. Saline solution will not disinfect lenses nor will rewetting drops.

You should read the box or consult your eye doctor/ wherever you bought the products from.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Unread 06-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #36
Edalyne
Weeee!

This should get a sticky! Wonderful info.

Ive been looking all over for different contacts and info on how to buy. I made an appointment to see my optometrist right after reading this!
Edalyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #37
han-pan

Yay! I'm so glad to hear that Edalyne

Geek Fairy: What you'll want to look for is a multi-purpose solution. If you read the back of the product, it'll even tell you its uses--as it is considered a relatively pharmaceutical product, it'll have uses stated, which will include "rinse and clean lenses" and/or "storing lenses" or whatever it is that it does. Opti-free and ReNu No-Rub (even-though-you-should-rub) are two products that clean, rinse and store your contacts.
However, I would definitely hold onto those rewetting drops. If you're new to contacts, you'll need them a LOT at first

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #38
Ion
Lyrical gangster

- Non-US FDA Approved Lenses
- Korean FDA/GMP Approved Lenses

Note:
The aforementioned FDA is a subdivision of the US Dept. of Health & Human Services. Lenses made abroad may indeed pass that country's FDA inspection but not be recognized in the US. Do your research before buying. As with all things, buyer beware.

CURRENT PROJECTS

Last edited by Ion : 04-13-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #39
Amalaa

Thanks for the info!!

I just got my first pair of contacts yesterday and I'm having a hard time putting in the left one.. It doesn't like coming off my finger, and when it did it inverted.... gah.. my finger is dry and I put a drop in the lens to make it like a suction, but it still wont come off my finger...

anyone have any suggestions?!
Amalaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #40
han-pan

I usually wet my fingers with solution so that the lens doesn't stick to your finger. You may have to hold it onto your eye for a few moments to get it to go on. When it goes on, it will suction to your eye like a really fast second hand on a clock--around the edges. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

Unread 07-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #41
Edalyne
Weeee!

Loved this FAQ. Idk if i missed it or not, but whats the difference between contacts that have different times on when to toss them. (In terms of everyday wear)

For example I got acuvue contacts and I'm supposed to switch them every 1-2 weeks. While browsing some websites I see the contacts last for months! Since I now know my base curve and diameter and stuff, I wanted to check out different colored contacts. The acuvue opaques seem like a good choice since I'm already wearing the non-colored ones. But a box will only last me like a month or so, while it seems other contacts are going to last me 5 months or so. Is this correct? Or am I reading the information wrong on the websites I'm visiting? And if thats the case, what makes these contacts last longer? Are they going to be thicker or more likely to be uncomfortable?

Last edited by Edalyne : 07-28-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Edalyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:22 AM   #42
Amalaa

Edalyne
I don't really know either, but yesterday talking with my pastor's wife, she told me hers last for a very long time and that she has gas permable ones (she also used to use the glass one when she was 15, 35-40 years ago... yikes) as we have the soft contacts. so maybe thats why.. in any case I'll ask my opti.. opt.. eye doc tomorrow when I go in for my follow up and to actually get my prescription...
Amalaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #43
han-pan

The lenses that have different "toss" times are made of different materials. The lenses that last longer are a more permanent kind of material that resist tears and the like. They are a LOT more expensive, however. If you're considering color contacts for cosplay uses, don't think of it as throwing them away after two weeks. They are technically 14-use contacts. If you wear them every day for two weeks, yeah it's time to toss them. But if you only wear them with your costume and make sure to change the solution bath every 30 days you go without wearing them, they could last a lot longer.

However, I do know from personal use that Acuvue 2 lenses can last a lot longer than 2 weeks xD; I tend to forget to throw mine away, and have had pairs for up to two or three months that I use every day P: It's in your wallet's best interest to go with the colored lens by the company you currently wear. That way you won't need a new fitting from your eye doctor. =) IMHO anyway ^^

Unread 08-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #44
Dorkzilla

Hey I have a question! My mom says costume/theatrical contacts will make you go blind no matter if they are perscription or whatever because shes seen it happen. I dont know if my mom is only saying that because she doesnt want me to get them because they are expensive or that she thinks they are stupid/ugly/waste of money or that its true.

Personally I think anything you put i n your eye make you blind, but I always thought that if you take care of your contacts and keep them clean you'll be ok.

Next Con:
Tigercon - 9.26.09

In Progress:
Glaceon[Gijinka] - Pokemon

Future Cosplays:
Mana - Mana's Not Dead
Gaia Avatar

Dorkzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #45
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkzilla View Post
Hey I have a question! My mom says costume/theatrical contacts will make you go blind no matter if they are perscription or whatever because shes seen it happen. I dont know if my mom is only saying that because she doesnt want me to get them because they are expensive or that she thinks they are stupid/ugly/waste of money or that its true.

Personally I think anything you put i n your eye make you blind, but I always thought that if you take care of your contacts and keep them clean you'll be ok.
Personally, I think your mom is trying to be cautious about it. Contact lenses can be worn without causing blindness if properly cared for. I have been wearing prescriptive and colored lenses for 10 years, my vision has actually improved marginally. So, if you have a quality product to begin with and take care of it, no, contact lenses will not make you go blind.

Perhaps she knows of someone who used the cheap/unsafe lenses or the person didn't take care of the lenses? Without more information it is hard to say. However, eye doctors offices sell theatrical lenses and I firmly believe such offices would not sell unsafe products.

I think a visit to the eye doctor's office would help put her at ease and educate you both on wear and care of lenses.

CURRENT PROJECTS