Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1337 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #46
CharCharx3Anime
TheCharChar x3

You should add a section for "charecter specific contacts" =3 like have Kakashi and a link to some contacts for him ^o^ just a suggestion because i just found the perfect lenses for Suigintou that look just like her eyes haha

The Duchess : Aristocats;; Keith Harkin: Celtic Thunder 'Storm';; Kayley: Quest for Camelot
Jareth The Goblin King : Labyrinth;; Riddler: Holy Musical B@man;; Alexstraza: World of Warcraft
Cyber Kaiko : Vocaloid;; School Girl Kaiko : Vocaloid;; Odette : Swan Princess;; Mayrin : Kuroshitsuji;; Sweet Tooth: HMB;; Sally: Me and My Dick

Deffinate Maybe Want to but not likely
CharCharx3Anime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #47
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Colored Toric Lenses!

Colored Toric Lenses
People with dark eyes and an astigmatism get the short end of the stick because unfortunately, there is no really cheap way to get the same vibrant lenses available in plano or non-toric lens.

However, here are some options to look at.

Brands
Durasoft 2 Optifit
- Opaque Colors $104.90/vial [Range: +10.00 to -20.00]
- Colors for Light Eyes $104.90/vial [Range: +10.00 to -20.00]

Durasoft 3 Optifit
- ColorBlends $99.99/vial [Range: +4.00 to -8.00]
- Opaque Colors $99.99/vial [Range: +4.00 to -8.00]
- Compliments/Enhancers $99.99/vial [Range: +4.00 to -8.00]

Freshlook ColorBlends Toric $49.99/box of 6 lenses [Range 0.00 to -4.00]

Soleko Queen Color $59.44/vial [Range +3.00 to -7.00]

Lunelle Toric
- ES 70 $227.19/vial [Range +7.00 to 0.00]
- Toric Color $177.36 /vial [Range +20.00 to -20.00]

Custom made to your specifications
- 9mmsfx
Send an email requesting a quote for whatever lens they stock or your own design + your prescription information.

Circle Lens Brands [maximum of -2.75 cylinder]
Neo, Dali, Monet, and Barbie lenses sold here:
- Circlelens.net $70+/pair [Range: 0.00 to -10.00/ Cyl up to -3.00]
- D'Beauty Shop $69.90/pair [Range: 0.00 to -10.00/ Cyl up to -3.00]
- E-Circlelens $70/pair [Range: 0.00 to -10.00/ Cyl up to -3.00]
- KK Circle Lens $65CAD/pair [Range: 0.00 to -10.00/ Cyl up to -3.00]

* Please note that since the toric lenses are custom made, the process takes approximately 2 weeks before the lenses are shipped to you. Additionally, these lenses are custom made for you and may not be exchangeable or returnable - check the fine print. Keep this in mind when ordering.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe

Last edited by Ion : 03-04-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #48
Alucardalina
Touhou Cosplayer

I think something should be mentioned (if not already) about hard contact lens.
I have astigmatism, so if I wanted to buy colored lens, they get more expensive (because the optometrist recommending hard contact lens)

Please like my Facebook cosplay page if you like my cosplays!
Alucardalina Cosplay

Con Updates!
Momocon 2013
Art Critic Rarity - MLP:FIM
Alucardalina Claire - Guild Wars 2
Eirin - Touhou
Alucardalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #49
Akemi Idane
Sew like a cosplayer.

Haha, the first ten dollar site has almost exactly the color I need. w00t.
Thank you, this thread helped a lot.
Akemi Idane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #50
king_kai
major dork

since i wear glasses and have horrible vision i was thinking about wearing prescription contacts for cosplaying (for 2-3days) at a con. would it be smart to buy contacts just for that short period of time? or should i deal with glasses and cosplay with them
Unread 08-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #51
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_kai View Post
since i wear glasses and have horrible vision i was thinking about wearing prescription contacts for cosplaying (for 2-3days) at a con. would it be smart to buy contacts just for that short period of time? or should i deal with glasses and cosplay with them
If you are only planning on wearing contacts at a con, I would probably say it's not worth it. If your vision is as bad as it sounds, your prescription may require lenses to be custom made (ka-ching ka-ching). A pricey investment just to get glasses off your face for a few days. However, if you are interested in wearing contact lenses for other reasons too and would be wearing them more often, that is something different.

I have an astigmatism and wear toric lenses that are custom made. I probably paid $200 a lens when I got them. However I purchased them as an alternative to wearing glasses because of sports etc and wear my contacts about half of the week.

That said, it really comes down to what you want to do. A lot of cosplayers who wear glasses just remove them for photos. It's easy and free. But in terms of getting lenses: Are the expenses worth a 3-day con? Are the lenses going to cost more than the con costs? Is the care and upkeep worth it? How often are you going to wear the lenses? These are a few things to think over and discuss with parents and an eye doctor.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Unread 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #52
Ion
Lyrical gangster

US Law – Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act (FCLCA)
In the US, contact lenses are considered to be medical devices requiring a qualified doctor’s prescription for them to legally be dispensed/ for consumers to legally buy them.

Under this legislation: [1]
1.) Your eye doctor is required to give you a copy of your contact lens prescription free of charge at the end of the fitting, even if you do not ask for it.
a. Slight caveat, if you fail to pay for the eye exam/fitting/evaluation and the office requires immediate payment for such services, the eye doctor can withhold a prescription.
2.) Your eye doctor’s office cannot withhold your prescription information if you are purchasing from a seller such as 1800Contacts etc. When the company calls to verify your prescription, the doctor’s office has 8 business hours to respond.
a. If the office fails to reply and verify the prescription with the seller within that time frame, the seller is free to sell/release the order to the buyer.
3.) Your eye doctor cannot ask you to sign a waiver of liability for the accuracy of the eye exam. Likewise, your eye doctor cannot require you to sign a waiver as a condition of verifying or releasing the patient's contact lens prescription.

4.) Your eye doctor cannot require you to buy your lenses from his/her office or another designated agent as a condition of providing a copy of the patient's contact lens prescription or verifying a patient's contact lens prescription.

5.) Unless otherwise stated, your contact lens prescription is valid for 1 year from the date it was written.

6.) A seller cannot dispense contact lenses if your eye doctor states that the prescription is inaccurate, expired, or otherwise invalid. Sellers can receive hefty fines from the FTC of up to $11,000 per incident.

What information is being shared when my seller calls my eye doctor to verify my prescription? [2]

1.) Your full name and address
2.) Your contact lens power, manufacturer, base curve or appropriate designation, and diameter when appropriate
3.) The quantity of lenses ordered
4.) The date of your order
5.) The date and time of verification request
6.) A contact person for the seller, including name, fax and phone numbers
7.) A clear statement of the prescriber’s regular Saturday business hours if the seller is counting those hours as “business hours” under the Rule.

What if I order overseas?

Many overseas sellers do not verify prescriptions. However, under the FCLCA all sellers, both domestic and overseas, are legally required to verify prescriptions for US buyers.

Why overseas purchases can be problematic:

If in the event you receive bootleg, defective, or otherwise bad lenses and damage your eyes, you legally have very little ground on which to stand as you obtained the lenses outside of the law. You the consumer are not afforded the same protection as you would if you had trouble with an item you purchased legally.

In addition to longer transit times, Customs does check packages, especially those coming from certain countries. Your items could be delayed or seized. This is not to say all overseas sellers will send you rubbish or that your items will be delayed or seized. This information is provided to give you, the consumer, a clearer picture so that you can make good choices for yourself by weighing the pros and cons concerning your contact lens purchases.

References

[1] http://www.ncoptometry.org/documents/policies/publ164-108.pdf
[2] http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/busi...lth/bus62.shtm

CURRENT PROJECTS

Last edited by Ion : 06-03-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Unread 09-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #53
Soomin
o-(^_^Q)

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_kai View Post
Personally I'd get them not only for the duration of the con but for afterwards as well.
Annoying to wear at first, I think they are much more comfortable though than glasses.

I get really dry eyes but the acuvue lenses I was prescribed help with that really well (unless I'm really tired.)

Who knows, you might like contacts a lot more than glasses.
Soomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #54
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Found an interesting article concerning lens cleaning machines! This might be of interest to newbies or people just interested in a worry-free and easy lens cleaning routine. I updated the main FAQ as well.

"Wouldn’t it be great if you could use a contact lens cleaning machine every night and not have to do anything yourself? Whether you wear soft contact lenses, gas permeable lenses or hard contact lenses, they usually need to be cleaned every time you take them out of your eyes. Typically this cleaning consists of wetting the lens with a cleaning solution, rubbing the contact lens gently with your fingertips for about ten seconds, disinfecting the lenses and letting them soak overnight. [My note: No-Rub lens cleaners require you to rinse each sid of the lens for about 5 seconds]

Sometimes you even have to use a protein deposit remover [My note: not as often these days with so many All-In-One cleansers]. But with a contact lens cleaning machine, you could get them back in your eyes much faster, with no effort on your part to keep them clean or worry about whether you’ve cleaned them properly. A contact lens cleaning machine won’t tear the lenses and it will clean them more effectively than you can clean them yourself.

It seems the Asian market might be ahead of the American one when it comes to manufacturing contact lens cleaning machines. One corporation in Taiwan makes a Daily Care Kit, Portable Ultrasonic Contact Lens Cleaner. A different company in China also has a lens cleaning machine, the Ultrasonic Contact Lens Cleaner which claims to eliminate protein in two minutes.

Back in the States, there is a contact lens cleaning machine for $29.95. It’s called the Clensatron 300 CL and requires 2 AA batteries.

A hands-free contact lens cleaning machine could be just what you need to keep your lenses lasting longer."

For more information & where to buy:
Clensatron (Paypal Accepted)
Shining Image Lens Cleaning Machine
Automatic Contact Lens Cleaner System
Ebay has a variety of cleaning machines in various colors

If anyone owns a lens cleaning machine and would like to share your experience, feel free!

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 10-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #55
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion View Post
Found an interesting article concerning lens cleaning machines! This might be of interest to newbies or people just interested in a worry-free and easy lens cleaning routine. I updated the main FAQ as well.

"Wouldn’t it be great if you could use a contact lens cleaning machine every night and not have to do anything yourself? Whether you wear soft contact lenses, gas permeable lenses or hard contact lenses, they usually need to be cleaned every time you take them out of your eyes. Typically this cleaning consists of wetting the lens with a cleaning solution, rubbing the contact lens gently with your fingertips for about ten seconds, disinfecting the lenses and letting them soak overnight. [My note: No-Rub lens cleaners require you to rinse each sid of the lens for about 5 seconds]

Sometimes you even have to use a protein deposit remover [My note: not as often these days with so many All-In-One cleansers]. But with a contact lens cleaning machine, you could get them back in your eyes much faster, with no effort on your part to keep them clean or worry about whether you’ve cleaned them properly. A contact lens cleaning machine won’t tear the lenses and it will clean them more effectively than you can clean them yourself.

It seems the Asian market might be ahead of the American one when it comes to manufacturing contact lens cleaning machines. One corporation in Taiwan makes a Daily Care Kit, Portable Ultrasonic Contact Lens Cleaner. A different company in China also has a lens cleaning machine, the Ultrasonic Contact Lens Cleaner which claims to eliminate protein in two minutes.

Back in the States, there is a contact lens cleaning machine for $29.95. It’s called the Clensatron 300 CL and requires 2 AA batteries.

A hands-free contact lens cleaning machine could be just what you need to keep your lenses lasting longer."

For more information & where to buy:
Clensatron (Paypal Accepted)
Shining Image Lens Cleaning Machine
Automatic Contact Lens Cleaner System
Ebay has a variety of cleaning machines in various colors

If anyone owns a lens cleaning machine and would like to share your experience, feel free!

I've used something similar before, both me and my friend. We were using contacts for a while, 3 months I think, and we used something like that and after the lenses were done, we took them out and put them in our eyes, and our eyes started to burn. REALLY badly. I don't know if it was just us or the actual product, but I'm just saying that it wasn't a nice feeling >.>
In the works: Dark Mousy, DNAngel | InuYasha, InuYasha

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #56
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulSpirit View Post
I've used something similar before, both me and my friend. We were using contacts for a while, 3 months I think, and we used something like that and after the lenses were done, we took them out and put them in our eyes, and our eyes started to burn. REALLY badly. I don't know if it was just us or the actual product, but I'm just saying that it wasn't a nice feeling >.>
Burning eyes = definitely not a good feeling. I had that happen once back when I was using a different cleaning system (one bottle of cleaner + one bottle of saline) I didn't rinse my lenses long enough in the saline, that hurt. Now that I've switched to a no-rub all in one solution, no stinging etc. Were you using an no-rub solution in the cleaning machine?

I'm just curious because the article does not mention that you have to use a certain cleaning product, the machine simply "swishes" to clean them, I assumed you would use whatever lens cleaning product you usually use. Hm, I wonder if one needs to do a "dry run" and put solution in the machine & let it run a cycle without your lenses in it, when you first get the machine. :/ Hm...very curious

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 10-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #57
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

The one I got came with a certain solution and it said "do not use any other solution in this machine" and I was like "well thats scary." it was a while ago, so it probably wasnt a no-rub solution.

EDIT:
I think I'm going to try and get this thread stickied cuz there are way too many questions bout contacts and this thread constantly disappears.
In the works: Dark Mousy, DNAngel | InuYasha, InuYasha

Facebook
| Deviantart

Last edited by DespairedPheonix : 10-09-2009 at 11:43 AM.
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #58
Ion
Lyrical gangster

List of some sites that people frequently purchase from
It's hard to classify sites according to price due to the variety of items sold, but I have listed them according to starting price for some items.

FIND LENSES BY COLOR/DESIGN http://stealthos.com/specificlenses.html

$10 + Range
http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/ Click on CONTACT LENSES on left menu
http://www.coloredcontacts.com/ Get a kit with different colors to try or buy
http://www.colorcontactstore.com/
http://www.contactlens.com/
http://www.contactsamerica.com/
http://www.cosmeticlenses.co.uk/ Plano and Prescription lenses
http://www.hollywoodcolorcontacts.com/index.php
http://www.lensnow.com
http://www.lensworld.com/
http://www.youknowit.com/
---------------------
$20 + Range
http://www.1800contacts.com/
http://www.aclens.com/
http://www.chicvuelens.com/
http://www.clearlycontacts.com Canada
http://www.coastalcontacts.com
http://www.coloredcontacts4cheap.com/
http://www.colorvuelens.com/
http://www.contactlensheaven.com
http://www.cosmetic-lens.com/
http://www.discountcontactlenses.com/
http://www.lens.com/
http://www.lensmart.com
http://www.turtlecontacts.com
http://www.visiondirect.com
---------------------
$30 + Range
http://www.1-save-on-lens.com/
http://www.cosplaylab.com/proshop/mindseye.asp
http://www.color-my-eyes.com
http://www.exoticlenses.com/
http://www.justlenses.com/
http://www.lensesbymail.com/
http://www.lenssolutions.com
---------------------
$40 + Range
http://www.vampfangs.com
---------------------
Custom lenses by quote:
http://www.contourcontact.com/
http://www.customcontacts.com/
---------------------
$200 + Range (Custom lenses – very high quality!)
http://www.9mmsfx.com

CURRENT PROJECTS

Last edited by Ion : 06-17-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #59
Erzebet

I have a question, I was looking at a site for contacts the other day, and it said their theatrical lenses could be worn for four hours at a time. I, uh, need it for a lot longer than that... think amount of time at a con. Maybe... at least 8 hours? Do they sell contacts that last this long, does it vary by brand?

And if not, do you think I could switch them out with another pair after the four hours are up?
Erzebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #60
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulSpirit View Post
The one I got came with a certain solution and it said "do not use any other solution in this machine" and I was like "well thats scary." it was a while ago, so it probably wasnt a no-rub solution.

EDIT:
I think I'm going to try and get this thread stickied cuz there are way too many questions bout contacts and this thread constantly disappears.
Edit: Ok just did a little more research - the cleaners they pack with machines are designed to break apart protein deposits and other junk on lenses in 2 minutes. Among other products the company makes are coin and jewelry cleaners. LOL No wonder your lenses caused discomfort. It sounds like the cleaning solution is über-strength! I guess you just have to douse lenses extra long in saline after you take them out of the machine.

P.S. It'd be nice if they stickied this thread. I asked once a while ago but I think the mods were über busy. Even though the thread does exist (and disappear periodically) there are new threads popping up. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzebet View Post
I have a question, I was looking at a site for contacts the other day, and it said their theatrical lenses could be worn for four hours at a time. I, uh, need it for a lot longer than that... think amount of time at a con. Maybe... at least 8 hours? Do they sell contacts that last this long, does it vary by brand?

And if not, do you think I could switch them out with another pair after the four hours are up?
I do not know what lenses you're talking about specifically, but usually if they are saying 4 hours at a time it is because the lenses are thicker than say, regular prescription lenses meant for all-day wear.

Contact lenses restrict oxygen flow to the eyes by varying degrees which is why they are removed for sleep or after a certain amount of time to give eyes a break. Some theatrical lenses are thick, less oxygen-permeable, or cover more of the eye than a regular lens e.g. sclera lenses. If continuously deprived sufficient oxygen flow, veins can grow deeper into the eyes, which can lead to eye problems.

Switching out to another pair after you've worn the first set for 4 hours is not going to really give your eyes a chance to rest.

They're your eyes and everyone's body is different. I suggest calling your eye doctor and asking about the lenses and call the company and ask. If the company doesn't display any contact information on their site, it may be wise not to shop there.

You could also look at other lenses - depending on what exactly you're trying to buy, there are lenses that can be worn 8 hours. Good luck!

CURRENT PROJECTS

Last edited by Ion : 01-18-2011 at 04:04 PM.