Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1294 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #76
Itstristantran

i wish i wasnt so asian -.- it takes a really long time to put contacts on since i hav small eyes XD
Itstristantran is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #77
Marika

Nobody's ever really been able to give me a definite answer for this, so I thought I'd ask here. A friend of mine said that if you have an astigmatism but the lenses you want don't come with correction for that, that you can add -0.25 to -0.50 to your prescription to correct it on a non-astigmatic lens. On the DollyEye site, though, they tell you that you should only do that if your astigmatism is under -2.00.

Every pair of contacts I was looking at for a costume seem to turn out to not be for astigmatism, so I was considering trying what she'd said, but the warning on DollyEye made me question it because my right eye (the one with the astigmatism) is a -3.50.

Is there a way to adjust a non-astigmatic lens to fit someone with an astigmatism?
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #78
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Hooboy, ok, the most direct answer to your question will come from your eye care professional whom is familiar with your eyes. However, I will explain as best I can.

Astigmatism is measured in units called diopters. [1]
Mild <1.00 D
Moderate 1.00 to 2.00 D
Severe 2.00 to 3.00 D
Extreme > 3.00 D

You mentioned that your astigmatism was -3.5 which puts you into the extreme category, but don't worry, there are loads of other people there with you, myself included. It is indeed true that if you have a minor astigmatism (<1.00 D) that you can likely use regular contact lenses in your needed power but anything above 1 diopter, generally requires toric lenses. [2]

Toric lenses are specifically made to fit the topography of the astigmatic eye which is why your prescription has a base curve, diameter, spherical, and cylindrical measurement with axis (which are exclusive to toric lenses).

Unfortunately with such a strong astigmatism you can't skip the cylinder/axis bit with a -3.5 astigmatism and get clear vision.

Simply put, I have about the same severity of astigmatism as you do in both eyes. The prescription for my left eye is 0.00 (plano) spherical, -5.00 cylindrical, with a 180 axis. If I were to get regular lenses without cylindrical and axis measurements, I'd be getting a plano (unpowered) lens which would give me the same vision I get without correction of any kind, which is blurred vision. The axis and cylinder measurements are important and are more than just extra blanks to fill in.

I came across as site selling circle lenses that are toric though and you may find comparable lenses there that accommodate your cylinder/axis measurements.
http://www.e-circlelens.net/shop/ste...20080508015957

Hope this helps and good luck!

Sources:
[1]: Understanding Refractive Disorders
[2]: Contact Lens & Glasses Prescriptions Explained

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #79
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika View Post
Stuff about tinkering with numbers to get spherical measurements...
I did more research and found an optometrist who has the formula to get your spherical measurement from toric but he said it probably would not give satisfactory visual clarity.

The example prescription was -4.00, -1.75, 180
To get a spherical power for a lens you would add the spherical component to 1/2 the astigmatic component. In this example 1/2 of -1.75 of course is not a power available so he recommended dropping it to -1.5, which half of that is -0.75. So this person's spherical lens prescription would be -4.75.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091111182504AAQsrIz

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #80
Marika

I thank you very much for the information!
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #81
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

So I have a dilemma, my BC is 8.8 and 8.6 is too tight on my eye. I'm looking for just simple green contact lenses. Any idea on where I can get them without having to pay a bunch for them?

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:58 AM   #82
xxXcyonideXxX
&amp;gt;:O

Okay sooo I'm really wanting to try the Geo Nudy series in either gray, brown, or purple but I'm not sure if any of those colors will show up well. My eyes are like a hazel/brown so they aren't super dark nor are they super light.

Here's a pic of my eye:
http://i46.tinypic.com/34osnyq.jpg

Annnnnd here's a pic of the Geo Nudys:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2z6s4cy.jpg

So if anybody can help me out on this i will love you forever ^-^
and I must say, I am in LOVE with the crescent-highlight effect it has.
Soooo pretty!

Anime Expo '09

COSPLAYS
_________

Aqua
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
--
Rikku's Wet Suit
Final Fantasy X

xxXcyonideXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #83
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
So I have a dilemma, my BC is 8.8 and 8.6 is too tight on my eye. I'm looking for just simple green contact lenses. Any idea on where I can get them without having to pay a bunch for them?
Focus SoftColors, WildEyes, and CrazyLenses are 3 brands that come to mind that are are sometimes made with an 8.8 bc. Other than that, most cosmetic lenses are sold in with an 8.6 bc. You'll have to do some research for the best price + shipping costs to where you live.

You will likely get the best selection by visiting an eye doctor since they can get virtually ANY lens in existence for you at the office, usually at a much cheaper price than you can get on your own, and toss in freebie lens kits with lens care training as well. If you already visited the eye doctor, simply call them up and ask if they can recommend some lenses that would suit your needs. You may even be able to test out trial cosmetic lenses in office (free)! Some offices let you take the trial lenses home to keep. ^^

I personally enjoy being a lazy but smart shopper - I get my lenses from the office where it's easy, economic, and I am guaranteed to get my lenses. Offices can also make returns on certain lenses where often if you buy products on your own, you cannot. We were fine-tuning my prescription recently and ordered 2 prescriptions and I only paid for the lens that worked best while the other one was returned.

However, you are free to do as you wish. I just wanted to mention some things you may want to consider. Good luck!

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 01-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #84
yuuki _kurosu

i think contacts are cool to wear. i remember when i had my first pair. they were nice. but the started to hurt if i left them in too long LOL. Thank you very much for the info!
yuuki _kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #85
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
Focus SoftColors, WildEyes, and CrazyLenses are 3 brands that come to mind that are are sometimes made with an 8.8 bc. Other than that, most cosmetic lenses are sold in with an 8.6 bc. You'll have to do some research for the best price + shipping costs to where you live.

You will likely get the best selection by visiting an eye doctor since they can get virtually ANY lens in existence for you at the office, usually at a much cheaper price than you can get on your own, and toss in freebie lens kits with lens care training as well. If you already visited the eye doctor, simply call them up and ask if they can recommend some lenses that would suit your needs. You may even be able to test out trial cosmetic lenses in office (free)! Some offices let you take the trial lenses home to keep. ^^

I personally enjoy being a lazy but smart shopper - I get my lenses from the office where it's easy, economic, and I am guaranteed to get my lenses. Offices can also make returns on certain lenses where often if you buy products on your own, you cannot. We were fine-tuning my prescription recently and ordered 2 prescriptions and I only paid for the lens that worked best while the other one was returned.

However, you are free to do as you wish. I just wanted to mention some things you may want to consider. Good luck!
Unfortunately, my optometrist isn't good for getting colored cosmetic lenses. I only go there because its the only eye doctor in town that accepts my insurance, but its not the best place. I've been wearing contacts for over a year, and I went in to complain that my right eye was getting worse, and they prescribed me weaker lenses for both eyes. While they are very nice people, they are not good with contact lens advice.

I'll check out the brands you mentioned to see if they have anything in my prescription and its a fair price.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #86
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
...I've been wearing contacts for over a year, and I went in to complain that my right eye was getting worse, and they prescribed me weaker lenses for both eyes. While they are very nice people, they are not good with contact lens advice.
Your eye doctor/office isn't necessarily shabby for that alone. That's actually a common practice meant to strengthen the eyes by under-prescribing.

If you know for a fact that what they prescribed is not at all workable (e.g. it's way off and there's no way your eyes will grow stronger & adjust) you have the option of stopping back at the office to reassess or seeking out a different doctor in town or elsewhere.

Check the fineprint of your insurance policy, but just because an office doesn't participate with your company does not mean that you can't file a claim on your own it just takes more time. My doctor's office doesn't participate with my insurance company, so I pay up front, submit bills on my own, and get my reimbursement from the insurance company in about 1 - 1.5 months.

If you feel your prescription is workable, you can shop the wide range of products online or at other offices (heck, Walmart's vision center can get regular lenses to crazy lenses). 2 other brands that are available in 8.8 bc are Illusions Opaques from Ciba Vision and Expressions Colors from Cooper Vision (both available at major online contact retailers like 1800contacts, ClearlyContacts etc.

Good luck

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #87
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Your eye doctor/office isn't necessarily shabby for that alone. That's actually a common practice meant to strengthen the eyes by under-prescribing.

If you know for a fact that what they prescribed is not at all workable (e.g. it's way off and there's no way your eyes will grow stronger & adjust) you have the option of stopping back at the office to reassess or seeking out a different doctor in town or elsewhere.

Check the fineprint of your insurance policy, but just because an office doesn't participate with your company does not mean that you can't file a claim on your own it just takes more time. My doctor's office doesn't participate with my insurance company, so I pay up front, submit bills on my own, and get my reimbursement from the insurance company in about 1 - 1.5 months.

If you feel your prescription is workable, you can shop the wide range of products online or at other offices (heck, Walmart's vision center can get regular lenses to crazy lenses). 2 other brands that are available in 8.8 bc are Illusions Opaques from Ciba Vision and Expressions Colors from Cooper Vision (both available at major online contact retailers like 1800contacts, ClearlyContacts etc.

Good luck
Unfortunately, I can not spend the time with a lower power lens when my job at the time required lots of driving. That's hard to do when I can't see. I've checked numerous websites and have not found anything (other than Acuvue enhancers for light eyes) that come in 8.8. I'll check with another eye center to see if they can find anything that might work for me. As for insurance, it's my mom who pays everything as I am currently a broke college student.

Unread 01-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #88
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can not spend the time with a lower power lens when my job at the time required lots of driving. That's hard to do when I can't see. I've checked numerous websites and have not found anything (other than Acuvue enhancers for light eyes) that come in 8.8. I'll check with another eye center to see if they can find anything that might work for me. As for insurance, it's my mom who pays everything as I am currently a broke college student.
A few things to mention:
a.) Since you already paid for your prior visit, the best thing you can do is call the office again, explain that you are not satisfied with the prescription (mention the reason and your occupation because the more information doctors have the better), and see where that takes you. Calling them won't cost anything and any office that wants customers will do what it can to accommodate. On the flip side, offices can't fix what they don't know about. Your mother (whose insurance policy I presume you are on) would probably even help you make the phone call too.

b.) I'm not your O.D. but sometimes lenses are prescribed to patients with a .1 difference in base curve. It depends on the individual and circumstances. You may wish to ask your doctor if you could used 8.7 or 8.9 bc lenses, although 8.7 may be too tight. Asking can't hurt and if you can use lenses with an 8.9 bc, the aformentioned brands will work.

c.) Finally, if the office is unwilling to assist you, look elsewhere and do continue to ask other offices what lenses they might have available.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #89
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
A few things to mention:
a.) Since you already paid for your prior visit, the best thing you can do is call the office again, explain that you are not satisfied with the prescription (mention the reason and your occupation because the more information doctors have the better), and see where that takes you. Calling them won't cost anything and any office that wants customers will do what it can to accommodate. On the flip side, offices can't fix what they don't know about. Your mother (whose insurance policy I presume you are on) would probably even help you make the phone call too.

b.) I'm not your O.D. but sometimes lenses are prescribed to patients with a .1 difference in base curve. It depends on the individual and circumstances. You may wish to ask your doctor if you could used 8.7 or 8.9 bc lenses, although 8.7 may be too tight. Asking can't hurt and if you can use lenses with an 8.9 bc, the aformentioned brands will work.

c.) Finally, if the office is unwilling to assist you, look elsewhere and do continue to ask other offices what lenses they might have available.
Oh, I made sure I didn't leave the office with the lower powered lenses. I'll try to go in sometime this week to ask if I'm able to wear 8.7/8.9.

Unread 01-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #90
Ion
Lyrical gangster

CURRENT PROJECTS

Last edited by Ion : 07-15-2010 at 11:19 AM.