Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 04-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Gravely

final list of regular panels pt 2

Program and Panel Descriptions
Men’s Costuming---Ann Hamilton, Rob Himmelsbach
There is much less information out there for men’s costumes that for women’s. Patterns, sources and instructions are often few and far between. Panelists will give advice and answer questions about both historical and science fiction/fantasy costumes.

Modifying Sewing Patterns---Ann Davenport, Karen Dick
Can’t find a pattern for that costume you want to make? How to make changes to commercial patterns to create the costume you desire.

Overview of 3-D Design and Draping a Toile (2 Hrs)---Dina Flockhart
Draping (often called modeling) is the pattern cutting method used by many designers, particularly for custom designs, which enables patterns to be created using a 3D approach of draping fabric onto a body form or workroom stand to interpret ideas. The shape is then used to obtain a pattern. We'll cover the differences between the stand size, actual body measurements and size charts, choosing the right fabric for experimenting, marking a dress form, draping on the stand and on a person, and pinning and stitching a toile. Depending on time and student interest, we will look at skirt, sleeve, and collar shapes

Quilting for Art and Costume---Diane Kovalcin
Demonstrations of more complex quilting techniques, using some alternative non-traditional block designs as well as foundation piecing and raw edge appliqué. Also tips for making piecework and quilting easier and more precise. Will likely include discussion/demo of thread painting, and if there is time, some hands-on block piecing.

Prop and costume lighting---Tim Mahaven
A panel that will show you the ins and outs of working with El wire and Led lights. There will also be a live demonstration of how to wire both types of lights! So come on by if you had questions or if your props are ready to light up the night but you don't know where to start!

Running a Masquerade---Rob Himmelsbach, Judy Mitchell, Thomas Atkinson
A discussion of what is involved, what works and what not to do!

Sewing with Leather and Vinyl---Kevin Roche
Techniques and tips for working with leather and vinyl will be discussed.

Sharing Your Costumes-A guide to Web sites and other online alternatives---Maggie Masetti
There is a large and very active online costumer community, but you may or may not know how to find them. This panel will discuss how you can share your work and your interest in costumes with other like-minded people. We'll go over resources for making your own website - and other alternatives for displaying your work online.

Stage Make-up---Rae Bradbury-Enslin, Raven
Tips and techniques for applying basic stage make-up.

The ICG Pat and Peggy Kennedy Memorial Archives---Bruce Mai, Nora Mai, Pierre Pettinger
A discussion of the continuation of Carl Mami’s work to preserve the images of costuming, with particular emphasis on SF & F masquerades, including clips of costume presentations from the past 30 years by people you know and people you SHOULD know who have contributed to the art form.

Tool Time---Thomas Atkinson, Marvin Bryant, Ric Rader, Ron Robinson
Learn what the hardware store has to offer the costumer. Many tools and items can be used to create props and costumes.

Trash to Treasure---Carolyn Kayta Barrows, Raven, Angelique Trouvere
Join the recycling movement, use found objects in the creation of your costume. Save money while saving the planet!

Wings---Bruce Mai
Resources and design ideas for creating wings.

Woman’s 1750 Jacket---Mary-Denise Smith
Get up close and personal with an original women's 1750 jacket. Take photos, make sketches, examine seams to see how it's made. Secondary documentation will be available for reference. Participants must agree in writing that their pics will not be published in any way (print, web, etc.).

Workmanship Judging---Rob Himmelbach, Angelique Trouvere
What is it, what are the judges looking for and how does it differ from presentation judging.

Worldcon Costumes---Pierre Pettinger
Come and see this powerpoint presentation of great costumes that have competed on the worldcon stage.

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty

good stuff here too

so now i really can't wait to go ^^

i already like costume con (and its gonna be my first time never went before ^^)

yeah!!
sooo soooon !!!

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote