Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Left 4 Dead

Unread 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
OmegaJoe

Left 4 Dead cosplay-The Tank

Hello all! I am all quite new to this but here I go trying to do my best. This thread will be anyone needing help with Left 4 Dead cosplay advice. But for now I want it to be on a matter I found most troubling. There are no Tank cosplayers!? ITS MADNESS! (and no this isn't sparta). I made it upon myself to try and do a Tank cosplay but th things is... I have no idea where to start. I know I have to make a entire suit for his huge torso and arms but how? If any good cosplayers have any ideas on how I can accomplish this goal please respond!

Unread 04-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
The_CFR
Cosplayer/Furry

Well... I have really no skill in making cosplays. But I did see a video on youtube a while ago that someone made a giant stone golem costume (I think for larping). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHl6QkC9__8

Current cosplays!
Lucario (40% complete) - Otakon
Jubei (10% Complete) - Otakon
The_CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
OmegaJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_CFR View Post
Well... I have really no skill in making cosplays. But I did see a video on youtube a while ago that someone made a giant stone golem costume (I think for larping). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHl6QkC9__8
THATS GENUIS! This would be a seriously good idea! Foam! Something I could buy in abundance and its cheap, easy to craft, and even more easier to move around in. I figure I need a sturdy wire skeloton and then I could apply the foam over it... yes this could be exactly what I need. or at least something that seriously help. Thanks a ton. Oh and anymore people who wish to help please suggest XD
Unread 04-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
NinjaSquirrel
The Ninja Squirrel

well the whole arm thing really troubled me also. i wanted to do a tank cosplay so bad but even if i try cheap materials, i wont be able to have time and make it as kickass as i want it to be. for the arms though i thought able making kinda stilt like materials. make them long enough or a certain length where u can still walk with your legs but make you hunch over and walk with arms too. they have to be light if you want to be able to raise them above your head. moving the fingers though.. still a question to me.
NinjaSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
evaunit01berser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSquirrel View Post
well the whole arm thing really troubled me also. i wanted to do a tank cosplay so bad but even if i try cheap materials, i wont be able to have time and make it as kickass as i want it to be.
i got just the man to talk to, he is spending 4k on a krauser arm, care to meet him?
evaunit01berser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
OmegaJoe

Well truthfully. I think the moving of the fingers be making way to complicated (very awesome) but complicated. and actually I had a flash a genuis about the arms when I was at work yesterday. Crutches! I figure if i can get a pai of old crutches I can modify to where i can cut half the length off one and then wrap the foam around it so that not only the arms have more stability but make theyll be a little more resiliant. XD we all know how rough cons are
Unread 05-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
NinjaSquirrel
The Ninja Squirrel

oh nice! try those um.. leg crutches that attatches to the arms. a kid in my school (sadly ) has those stick crutches to support himself cause his legs seem to be unable to support him D: but yea those work! its like the ones with the handles halfway down and they have this strap that should go around your forearm.
Unread 05-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
NinjaSquirrel
The Ninja Squirrel

i just saw the golem video about the foam and wow! that looks bloody brilliant! XD (i'm not english lol) i can never have the time to finish something that amazing even with ppl. we start getting lazy and start realizing, 1. who's going to keep it; 2. we all have lives; and 3. who's paying for all of this? o.O
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
BioHazardKyo
Throws Up Rainbows

sorry i cant be much of help with the suggest
but ill be help with the motivation!!

you can do it! "yours is the drill that will pierce the heavens!"
BioHazardKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 04:52 AM   #10
Hiro Akemi
Crap.

You don't see the cosplay because the game hasn't been out for that long. -In my opinion-

Also, its one of the biggest bulkiest characters in the game.
To do one especially if its over the summer months is like Con suicide. xDDD

Death by heat stroke.
Idk.

You should check to see if Expanding foam is skin friendly. If it is I'd probably go with that, since it expands and its pretty cheap.

Like Pour it on your skin and peel it off, cut the parts you need the most and use double sided skin friendly duct tape to keep it to your body or something better Idk about that. Maybe staple it to old clothes. xDD

Costumes:
To do list:

WW Amazonia 50%
Ceil Revamp 30%
Mary %
Maria Renard %
Hiro Akemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
OmegaJoe

Hmmmm I was thinking about the that. Yeah your right. I live in arizon so is ludicrously hot out here! But if the foam idea does not entierly work out I was thinking of making like a wire frame skeloton then use lots of durable construction cardboard. But expanding foam? Hmmmmm Iver never heard of it. but now Ill have to check it out. Maybe thatll be easier. just keep adding layer upon layer until I get the exact bulkiness then cut details as needed. God if I get it dont its going to be awesome! At the con I go to Phoniex comicon they always play cosplay red rover. Just imagine how the tank would do in a game like that! (is already laughing at the thought XP)
Unread 05-13-2009, 02:23 AM   #12
Loplod

i know a guy who cosplays as darth vader sometimes and he straps ice packs to his legs and arms because of the sheer heat. that may be an option for you
Loplod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
lssj brogeta

i dont realy know if i can help i but i have this to say,if you do this well it would be the coolist thing in the whole world!!!!
Unread 05-14-2009, 03:36 AM   #14
Hiro Akemi
Crap.

I agree with the above comment.

xD

When you figure out about the expanding foam thing, let me know. Just cause I'm a chick doesn't mean I don't want to do the cosplay. xDDDD

Costumes:
To do list:

WW Amazonia 50%
Ceil Revamp 30%
Mary %
Maria Renard %
Hiro Akemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #15
Moeparker

I'm making one as we speak.

it is one HELL of a challenge, but it's going to be sooo worth it.

I'm new to cosplay.com, so I'll try to learn how to upload pics and progress as I go. My living room is one giant WETA workshop right now! lol.

and yes, it WILL have movable fingers, HUGE fingers. I worked on those Monday night. Built 3 sets, and the last prototype was able to lift a small water bottle full of sand. It'll only get stronger from there!

Plus 12v DC fans in the back for air intake and exhaust for heat dissipation. I'll probably have a camel pack on too for water.

It will be at Comic Con this July, probably Friday running around.

for those wondering, I'm an Electrical Engineer with disposable income and a lot of free time. LOL
Moeparker is offline   Reply With Quote