Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-05-2009, 03:44 AM   #1
PandaPuff

Elizabeth from Gintama! Help me out here.

Elizabeth looks like the simplest character to make but I can't think of how to make her! Especially that dome head, the arms and the "coffee bean" mouth. What would you suggest?

P.S. I can't sew for the life of me.

Here's reference pics:
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ura-chanlo.gif

http://www.thehetre.vn/ichinews/0901...46-175-145.gif
PandaPuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
PandaPuff

Bump of doom
Unread 05-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

It actually doesn't look terribly difficult. Here is my suggestion:

The body is simply two pieces of fabric in an upside down U shape, sewn together (like a popsicle, actually) with a opening for the armscye (arm hole) on each side. The arms themselves look like isoceles triangles, which would be sewn together (except at the bottom, where the arm would go in), then sewn to the armscye on the body. (Look up "sewing sleeves".) The mouth appears to be two taco-shaped pieces sewn to the body--you'd have to measure approximately where your mouth is, and cut out a hole--then sew the yellow mouth pieces with a standard seam to it, right sides together. You could use craft foam to give the mouth a harder texture.
Celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Wrongfeifong

hmm

Actually, i am making this cosplay as we speak.

It look simple enough but actually, there are many "mistakes" that people will make in trying this.

First of all, if you listen to the person above, you will very likely found your mouth going inside A lot. The general shape will be bend in. because of the weight of the mouth against other pieces.

You can search this costume on google and see for yourself.

My idea is that
to make this costume you can either make a "Can" with a round head" and try sew a perfect fit for the surface.

However, my approach is going to use several "Hola" (whatever those call, that people use for waist fitness) and make a clear circle.

I used 2 actually, one for middle part, and one for the round head. Basically build your own half sphere with the "hola" as base.

Use the 2nd "hola" as balance the center piece. to hold the shape.

That way it will make a perfect inverse U shape.
2007 CN -Corsair FFXI AF1 (100%)

--- Current Plan for AN 11
Dissidia 012 Moogle (in progress 20%)
Elizabeth MK II KAI (0% progress)
Wrongfeifong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
PandaPuff

Yarg...it's not as simple as it looks. I didn't want this to end up with just a sheet on my head running around like a ghost you know?

@celydonn: I can't believe cutting 2 fabrics into a U shape didn't pop in my head first. That's like a big duh to me.

@wrongfeifong: That doesn't sound so bad but how do you make the dome head at the top? Apologies if I totally missed it.

Oh and the question I forgot to ask is how does one get to see through this thing? @_@
Unread 05-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
Wrongfeifong

Basically, i am using 2 basic step.

One is use the "hola hola" (still don't know what you call those) as the base, find some cardboards and make a inverse U and cross them to make a + tops. That should be your base. Now you have 2 option, one is use metal wires make the "round contour and you can make it smaller as it go up by apply math if you are a perfectionist" or you can use cardboard to fill the 4 holes (which is the really hard as cardboard doesn't "bend" well). Then do some Paper mache to smooth up the roundness and if you don't care about "heaviness" you can use molding (i think that's what it is call ...its a white powder that mix with water and harden... you can buy it in Rona or Home depot) just make a thin layer on the top and it will smooth out the sphere. You can paint it "white" at the end so it won't transparent whatever under it.

However, it can be very heavy, at least that's what i am doing now.

Actually to even make it simpler, i suggest you go buy one of those "fitness" ball, those really BIG one that people do fitness on and cut it in half. that's your round head part.... Or do a paper mache on the top half of it.
2007 CN -Corsair FFXI AF1 (100%)

--- Current Plan for AN 11
Dissidia 012 Moogle (in progress 20%)
Elizabeth MK II KAI (0% progress)

Last edited by Wrongfeifong : 05-09-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Wrongfeifong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
PandaPuff

Ok I'm defenitely using the hula hoop (assuming if thats what you're refering to) as a base and I'll go with wire for the framing. Where the heck am i supposed to get wire....oh wait, Home Depot perhaps?

This still begs the question of how to see through it. I'm will to go blind or hold my Katsura's(dude that always travel's with Elizabeth) hand the whole time.