Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 05-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Gravely

CC=27 wrap from the chair

Hello everyone, especially all my new friends

It's taken till wednesday, but my head is back above water now, as I sort out so many things about the con.

We were the 5th largest of the 27 costume-cons, and the largest one not based in California

465 in attendance

MANY old time ( classic) costumers came out for this, as they new the committee from cc's beginnings, so that was cool.

WAY Many new folks made it to their first CC. and what great energy you all brought with you.

So much more anime there. I think anime and/or gaming inspired costumes were over 50% of the winners in the S/SF masquerade.

and you all added so much color and life by bringing all the hall costumes with you as well.

I know it took a bit of time to get your bearings if this was your first time. I hope you all got to make some new friends.
While it was an odd manpower decisions I made, I am glad that even as con chair, I worked the reg table so much of the time. it gave me the chance to be sure to meet more of you than I would have otherwise. And I had a much more fun weekend because of it.

I read somewhere how the dealers room seemed dead. I think that's just because we don't have 5K 15 year olds looking for books and vids. From what I have heard, the dealers did very well as a group, and many of them are greatly disappointed that we move from city to city each year. I hope they follow the con around like the attendees do.

My new best friend Trixy commented about the workmanship judges not being friendly enough. For that all I can do is relate things that I see.
other than historical judgeing, the s/sf workmanship judge has the toughest job at the con.

because of panels, and tech rehearsal, we really can't have the judging more than 2 hours before the masq. and when you do the math, that is just NOT much time for each person, especially when it comes to groups.
I did the job at both cc-25, and 26 and the average tine I could spend with a group ended up being well under 5 minutes. The pressure is just enormous and doubled when you are dealing with off the wall costumes and techniques.
So many of the entrants are so very serious or nervous about all their hard work that it does take a toll on the judges. and an overall air of seriousness ends up covering the area.

but in the end, I know that at least Denice Girardeau had a great time doing it, and loved being in the position to see everything better than everyone else gets to.

over all from all the different communities I can find online, chatting, I think we get about a 90-95% approval rating which is more than I expect actually, when you do something with so many different people, from so many different backgrounds and interests all ending up in one place.

so thanks so much for all your support, and I hope we'll see you all in milwaukee next year, new jersey, and the pittsburgh after that.

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty

see you next time ^^

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg

Last edited by trixyloupwolf : 05-06-2009 at 09:57 PM.
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

It was a pleasure meeting you, Ricky.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Thank you so much. You and Marty and the rest of your staff put on an amazingly well-organized and well-planned event. It was great to finally meet you and Karen.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote