Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Chili

Soul Eater (adult) Medusa

So, the things I have left to do on this costume is styling the wig, polish my toe nails, making the braceles, fix the tattoos and sew on the buttons to the hood. I have all the material I need, or actually, I bought i just today, so it won't be long until it's finished 8D
...It's pretty much just the suit. But so far, what do you think? If you have any suggestion on how to style the wig, I'll be grateful. It's my first ever costume, and my first ever time styling a wig (a Tina 950 medium blonde) so I need all the help you can give me :3

reference pictures:

http://irreprehensible.files.wordpre...0909141635.jpg

http://ny-image0.etsy.com/ialcr_fullxfull.32068.jpg

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/f...23/20ap5zp.png

Actual costume:

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/229841/

Aaaand, if anyone cares, here is a tutorial on how I made the nails :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTuYP...e=channel_page

Last edited by Chili : 06-14-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Nami_Otaku_Girl

From what I could see your costume is coming along quite fine. I really like it. I think that the wig you picked out is great but I can't help with styling..(<---has never styled a wig before..) Anyway...your reference pictures don't work....just to let you know. Good luck!
Nami_Otaku_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Nooby Banana
I made a llama. 8)

Wow! I really like how it looks so far. And it's your first costume?! I like how you tightened the bottoms of legs to get the poofy look, and THANK YOU for not just painting the snake eyes on the hood. Did you applique them? They look very crisp and vibrant. =)

Honestly that's all I can tell you. Nice job! Can't wait to see it finished. Oh, and if you look around I think you can find a tutorial for styling a Medusa wig somewhere. Maybe you can Google it and it'll pop up.
Nooby Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
Chili

Thank you so much! It really gives me a kick to hear this~ :3

Nami_Otaku_Girl: Oh crap. I'll see if I can fix it. You can always google otherwise :3

Spirit_Pup: Oh, those marks on the hood. Gah, I really did have some problem making them look good, I think i re-sewed them like ten times. But I didn't even consider using paint :'D I'm smart enough to get that that won't look good. Actually, I sewed them on with a (Argh, can't remember the word Dx) simple (straight) seam, and they're the exactly same fabric as the rest of the costume(not the hood, I used some thicker fabric for that one), just white :3

Last edited by Chili : 05-14-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Unread 05-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Techniichan

I'm very impressed with what is already complete. Great work!
Techniichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 04:38 AM   #6
Loplod

looking good. keep up the good work
Loplod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Gravitationxx--
Pineapple Samba!

^^b Looking great!
Lenalee ( Thinking about it. )
Hibari Kyouya ( 25% done )
Gravitationxx-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Seizure
Scythegasmic

It looks good! I love it when people sew Medusa's jumpsuit as a one piece, instead of actual... two pieces. If you understand what I mean. xD Because her outfit is clearly a jumpsuit, not just a two piece tracksuit. And I can't tell, but I hope you used stretch fabric? Her cosplay looks a lot better in person if you've used a stretch fabric.

All I can tell that is a bit off is that you're missing Medusa's collar. She has a collar that goes around the hood, and it has gromets in it. (Think... like in usual sweaters, the drawstrings. That little hole the strings go through. Except it's in her collar). You can see in her reference pictures you provided xD I think Most people just don't notice it's an actual collar because you can't see the line dividing it from her hood because it's drawn in black. So most of the time, people don't do her collar. The hood comes out between the collar and your neck, if that makes sense.

That's really all I can think of. :] It looks good! I like it.

As for Medusa's wig, I'm not sure what to suggest... the little twist can be done easily. Don't use TWO elastics, don't braid it. Actually make it twist. I've seen people actually braid it. If you twist the two strands of hair and them tie them together at the bottom and just let go, it should twist itself into her 'braid'. Just mess with it from there, and you should be able to find a nice twist that matches hers.

Last edited by Seizure : 05-18-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Seizure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
SeizetsuKenSeie
Illustrator &amp; Crafter

It looks really good so far!

My only advice on the wig is, don't cut her bangs too short to begin with. You can always go shorter remember! ^__^ See what looks good on your face. Also, got2B glued or got2B spiked-up is your best friend in the whole world for making bangs look "piecy" or "spiky".

I just finished a Maka costume to be debuted at Anime Boston. I hope I will get to face you on the battlefield someday.
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Chili

Hm, yah... about the collar... Crap. I actually believe i thought of it when I looked at a pic once, but it kinda... Flew away 8D At least I made her buttons... Soon. And yep, I used stretch :3
Thanks for the critique~

Aaand, about the wig now. I really, really am going to style it soon, but i simply CAN'T make the bangs straight! I tried a little from that hot water-method, but it didn't work >__> so I'll work on that.
Unread 05-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Chili

...Wow. I just saw that she has a cut in her left eyebrow ‘_o
I've never noticed that before.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/m...medusa.jpg?o=8

Do you think I'll actually need to kill my eyebrow, or can I just use foundation..? I'm a pretty guyish girl, and don't really know a wack about makeup D:

...Um, okay, maybe this belongs in "general cosplay help", or "makeup technique" but i figured it's unnecessary to make a new thread when i have this one >__> yell at me if it's bad, and I'll delete it.
Unread 05-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #12
Speare Mint

I suggest to keep your eyebrow. x3

Also, I was wondering how you put on the costume? Like, do you have a zipper on it? If so, dosen't the hood get in the way?

-bombards with questions-
Speare Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #13
Chili

I have a zipper under my left armpit :3 And I just... Idunno, worm my way into it xD I didn't want the zipper to be visible... At least not like, in the front or back. As you said, It wouldn't work with the hood (at least not in the back).
Unread 06-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
HoshiSeven
dreamoforange

If you want to have the cut on your eyebrow, you can easily cover it with foundation, but you'll have to glue down the part of the eyebrow that's supposed to be invisible, otherwise you can still see the hairs.

I hope I helped. ^^
HoshiSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #15
Chili

Thank you SO much! I had read something about coloring eyebrows with glue + the color you wanted, but I wasn't sure if it worked with foundation :3 And this is the last day I can work on the costume, so I'm really REALLY grateful TTwTTb I'll be sure to have a photoshot and upload some pictures of the finished costume soon :3