Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.75 average.
Unread 05-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
RogueMage

Making Sideburns

A costume I'm making has immense blonde sideburns. For the life of me, though, I can't find anything on how to make fake sideburns; most search results on the boards are about hiding the cosplayers' sideburns, not making them for the costume.

I did find one result which recommended spirit gumming pieces of fake fur to the cheeks, but I was wondering if there were any other ways to do it; using trimmings from a wig, for example, or something like that.
RogueMage is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

Do you have a photo of exactly what you're trying to accomplish? If the hair on the sideburns are relatively short, you can use crepe wool and spirit gum easily (it can be used for longer hair, too), or yes, you can use fur or even parts of a wig if the hair is much longer.

Also, if you search online they have dozens of fake sideburns for halloween costumes, which you just spirit gum on. Some of them don't look too bad!

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
RogueMage

Oh, sure, picture's attached to this post.

For the crepe wool idea, would that just be applying spirit gum straight to the skin, then sticking the hairs to it?

My main problem with store-bought sideburns so far is that they've either looked incredibly fake, or didn't come in the right color. It's very easy to find a nice looking set of brown or black sideburns, a wee bit harder to find blonde ones. ;;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i_wf_005_i.jpg (158.9 KB, 0 views)
RogueMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

If you can find white sideburns (or a fake beard, you can just cut up the lace that the fiber is mounted to), you can dye the fiber to match your hair / wig. As long as it's kanekalon or a similar quality wig fiber, wig dye should work the same way it does on synthetic wigs.

Those ready-made sideburns or beards are probably your best bet, since hand-knotting fiber to wig lace (to make your own custom-made sideburns) would be a painstaking process.
Unread 05-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMage View Post
Oh, sure, picture's attached to this post.
Oh, those are some epic sideburns!
Since they're so thick, I bet you could get away with using the fake sideburns. Maybe snip up some faux muttonchops because those usually come thick. Or you can even take hair you snip off of your wig (assuming you start out with one long enough to need cutting) or buy wefted extensions and glue them to some mesh or a thin material for the base that you can spirit gum onto your face. If you get the extensions, you can at least make sure they match your wig, but it will be far more work than just buying pre-made sideburns.

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Reamy
ECC Member of Spazztastic

If you're in the theatre business like me, it's easier to go to theatrical supplies sites and suc or make your own.

http://www.actonecostumes.net/bms31.html <-- are these similar to what your looking for? These are theatrical quality. all you need to buy then is spirit gum and spirit gum remover.

Costumes Coming up~:
Tsubasa R. Chronicle - Fai 40%
PARADISE KISS - Isabella 0%

>----> www.ninkittycreations.com <----<

"ECC - Everyone Can Cosplay. A bunch of friends sharing a hobbie we all love. No rules, membership, or requirments. Want to come? We'd LOVE to have you. Cosplay is optional and you don't have to attend any more then you see fit. ECC, because we all love the same thing and sharing that with a group is a wonderful thing."

Reamy is offline   Reply With Quote