Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
nejivision

How do I stop my wig from tangling?

Apart from the wig I just purchased, I've never owned a wig before...
So do all wigs tangle badly, or just the really long ones (like mine)?
Also, is there a way to stop it from tangling and making it look smooth? (I dont know how else to explain "smooth" you know how you get the springy up bits where its not quite flat?... now I dont even know...XP)
nejivision is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Angel_Cakes

All wigs tangle I think, but longer wigs like Ivy tangle easily. If you not using the wig you should keep it in the haiing it came in until you need it, but if you have it out all which I presume you do you should keep on a wig head or something similar, try to keep it steady and not brush against it much, I would recommend brushing it with a wig brush if you start to bits looking different from smooth and maybe use hairspray to keep fibers from moving that much. Hope this helps!
Angel_Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
nejivision

I keep it in the thing it came in, I needed it cut is all. Is a wig brush different from a normal brush? and I shall try the hairspray idea... Thankyou
Unread 05-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
han-pan

http://www.funkyhorror.com/longwig.htm
Is a short tutorial about something you can do to keep it from tangling much.
You can order a wig brush from Cosworx, or consider using a wide tooth comb. Don't use metal teeth though, that'll snag and muss it up.
If you need to straighten it, try http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/wigtut...ightening.html Katie Bair's hot water straightening method.

What I did to brush out my long wig is this... Have someone hold the wig head in place and let the fiber hang off the table. Make sure your wig is pinned to the head. It'll allow you to brush it without dumping the wig over and not create more knots xD Brush from bottom to top and be patient with little knots that form. Wigs are not real hair, so if you yank fibers out, they won't grow back xD

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
nejivision

Thanks, that all really helped!! And the person in the picture wearing glasses looks like my best friend Kimmy!!! lol anywho...
I might hang mine from the top of a door when I brush it... Its REALLY long (past my knees long)
Hairspray seems the way to go...
Unread 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Sadly a wig that long is going to tangle no matter what you do.

I have hair that long and to keep it looking nice and smooth when I wear it down, I have to be finger-combing almost constantly to keep bad tangles from forming. If the hairspray method doesn't work, you'll have to get in the habit of running your fingers through the wig whenever you have a free moment. This way the tangles never get too bad.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Applying a detangler (the two I recommend are Mane n' Tail detangling spray and Motions Oil Sheen) to your wig will help it from tangling so much, as well.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
feixia
feline enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Applying a detangler (the two I recommend are Mane n' Tail detangling spray and Motions Oil Sheen) to your wig will help it from tangling so much, as well.
I also recommend this method! Also, if you are not using the wig and putting it in storage, it'll help to braid the wig first so there won't be any future tangles when you take it out for use~
feixia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
arrancarstar
ChibiKitsune1014

I just got a matching tail for my Vinyl Scratch cosplay and they told me if you go over it with a dryer sheet that helps because a lot of the tangling comes from static. They also said to soak it in fabric softener which makes it super silky and less likely to tangle but I can't remember what mixture of fabric softener and water they said to use so best look that up before you do it.
arrancarstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

You realize this topic is 4 years old. lol

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote