Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 05-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
The_Ninja

I'm a n00b with choosing fabrics..please help!

Hello! I've got a bit of a problem I was hoping someone could help me with. In previous cosplays, I've used a lot of twill for things, because twill worked for the pieces I was doing, and it was okay. The only thing is, when I need to choose other materials, I get quite lost, quite quickly, and right now the only people around I can ask are my mother and grandmother, who think that costumes automatically should be satin (which even I know is a bad idea!) ^^;

I'm planning on making Isaac from Golden Sun (reference pic here and in the top left corner here) and with material choice I'm very unsure, especially concerning his scarf. What material can I use to make it drape and flow nicely? What material is a good choice for his other pieces of clothing?

If anyone could help me I'd be very appreciative. Thank you. ^^

Last edited by The_Ninja : 05-17-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Unread 05-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Leradny
"The Cool Joint"

Cotton poplin would work nicely for the scarf and inner sleeves if you want flow without shine. The outer tunic and pants look like twill.
Leradny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

Personally, I would use wool.

Wool drapes beautifully. Gabardine is not scratchy like the oft mentioned "evil wool sweater". Flannel is not really itchy, either - it would make the scarf look more "rustic", though.

If I was doing the costume, I would use wool.

Twill is just a weave. Washed cotton twill might work, but I feel it gets "spongy/springy" when washed, and I'm not a huge fan of that - but if you like the feel of it, it might achieve a good look.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
CammyLand
Cammy

I agree with Leradny - cotton poplin would be a good choice for this scarf. It can usually be found with the bottom weight/denim fabric at your local fabric store. For the rest of the fabric I would also uses your typical bottom weight/twill fabric. ^___^

When confused on what kinds of fabric to use I like to go to the fabric store (armed with reference pictures) and handle the fabric. It's a good way to become more familiar with the drape of fabrics. Try unrolling like 1/4 - 1/2 yard and drape it over the counter, etc. Also look for other RTW (Ready to Wear) pieces similar to what you're trying to make and see what kind of material was used to achieve a similar drape/feel.

Happy fabric hunting.
CammyLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
The_Ninja

Thanks so much, everyone! I've tried wandering the fabric stores before, but there's usually so many different things there that it's a bit overwhelming when I have no idea what to do. >.<

This really helps!