Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Gundam

Unread 05-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
striker0
Gunpla building expert

I need some advice on my gundam cosplay

I've hit a major snag with my costume, and I think I might need some help.
Going over it earlier today, I realized one thing. It's big. I think big to the point where it would be a small project to maneuver some of the smaller spots in that convention hall, namely some of the hallways, and entering doorways. Even now, I'm starting to have problems going around in my own house, namely from the living room to the kitchen.

I wanna trim it down, but not to the point where it looks goofy, or do I wanna scrap the whole thing and start all over again. I just don't want to see all my hard work go down the tubes, or in the trash for that matter. I was thinking of trimming down the wingspan, but I don't know by how much. As it stands, each wing is at the most, a foot wide, namely from the shoulder to the edge. I don't wanna cut that in half, but maybe by 3 or 4 inches.

How else can I trim something like this down that's more suitable? Or should I cut my loses, and just start fresh? Maybe hold onto this costume until a better solution is presented?
striker0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
NecroticNymph
Princess at Heart

Well #1, this is the wrong forum for this post.

Anyway, that aside, I find that when you have a large costume or something you can't walk around in tight places in, but you're set on going to a con in it, just set up in the main hall where you're not blocking any entrances and stand there for pics. I did that in my Ariel costume where I just sat in my shell prop in the main hall of the con center and people came to me for pics. I made sure not to block any entrances/exits or booths. When I wanted to go into the con, I changed into a more mobile costume. At that same con, I also wore a costume I could not see in, so I also just set up in the main hall for a few hours and then changed later to walk around the dealer's room/panels.

Hope that helps =)
Unread 05-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
alterationsbyem

I am in the same issue with my husband's gundam. But speaking from epic costume experiance, you can get stuck in a spot for 3+ hours with people taking your picture. His is not userfriendly, but he can move well, we have designed the wings to fold within themselves, using a fabric base so that they do have an emergancy base. The problem is when you choose a large costume like this, you have to remember that the day is SHOT, at least the time that you are in it. Never throw anything away, repurpose it.

I hope I helped
Unread 05-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
striker0
Gunpla building expert

Well, I blundered, big time.
I did take it upon myself to modify it, seeing as most of the convention is in a small spot (a separate building from the college), and the costumes structural integrity dropped drastically. So, because of my screw up, the torso is shot, and if anything, it would be a waste of time trying to build a whole new one due to the fact the con is less than a month away, and the torso took me a month and a half.
I'm not even too sure if I wanna try making a gundam cosplay again this year, as my spirits have been shattered.
striker0 is offline   Reply With Quote