Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Ouran High School Host Club

Unread 05-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
KurohaneShizumi
☆静☆

Washing Jackets with Patches

Okay. I recently made the Ouran High School jacket for my Haruhi cosplay and I have a problem.

I took it to the dry cleaner's but for whatever reason, they decided they couldn't wash it. >_>;; I have no idea why.

Anyway, now I have lots of random places on the jacket with washable, Crayola markers. O_o; The jacket is fully lined, so I know I can't throw it in the washing machine, plus it has the school patch.

I tried getting a wash cloth and washing them out by hand with a little drop of soap but it just spreads and while I know it's not staining, it's still becoming even more problematic.

So my question is... WHAT DO I DO?! I've thought about running the areas under the faucet so that the blue runs out with the water, but can I get it that wet? Can I get the patch wet?

Please help. ;_________;
★ Sat: Erza Scarlet (Sarashi + Hakama ver.; Fairy Tail)
★ Sun: Jane Crocker (MS Paint Adventures: Homestuck)

Check out my other stuff~
Website | deviantART | Cure | FaceBook | Twitter | Ask me Anything!
KurohaneShizumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
U-Me* Mackerel

Do you have any leftover fabric from when you made it? If you didn't do any tests on the fabric as to how it washes, you can always do it now with scraps of fabric. ^^ Try each scrap with cold water individually. There shouldn't be any problem... not many fabrics can't be washed with cold water, though there are always some.

Can you clarify what you mean by it spreading? ^^ I don't really know what's going on there, sorry. *fails*

Is the patch the bit with the school badge? Because then it also depends on what that's made out of.

I'd fill a sink with cold water and put the whole jacket in there after testing the fabrics. If you have any gentle stain removers you could try them as well, but if you're worried about the colour running or the fabric being damaged, it's best to leave it out. But if the fabric's good, there really isn't any reason why you couldn't get a jacket wet. =) Otherwise it'd be dangerous to go outside at all in case it rained!
Unread 05-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
KurohaneShizumi
☆静☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Me* Mackerel View Post
Do you have any leftover fabric from when you made it? If you didn't do any tests on the fabric as to how it washes, you can always do it now with scraps of fabric. ^^ Try each scrap with cold water individually. There shouldn't be any problem... not many fabrics can't be washed with cold water, though there are always some.
Good idea. ^_^ Thanks.

Quote:
Can you clarify what you mean by it spreading? ^^ I don't really know what's going on there, sorry. *fails*
Ah. Like, I marked the fabric (let's say I wrote "front" on it) and when I use a washcloth to add water, it doesn't leave the fabric but liquefies, spreads apart, and clings to where the water ends. Umm... hold on.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...y/Haruhi73.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...y/Haruhi74.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...y/Haruhi75.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...y/Haruhi78.jpg

Quote:
Is the patch the bit with the school badge? Because then it also depends on what that's made out of.
Yeah, I bought that so I have NO idea what it's made of. Didn't say on the back either.

Quote:
I'd fill a sink with cold water and put the whole jacket in there after testing the fabrics. If you have any gentle stain removers you could try them as well, but if you're worried about the colour running or the fabric being damaged, it's best to leave it out. But if the fabric's good, there really isn't any reason why you couldn't get a jacket wet. =) Otherwise it'd be dangerous to go outside at all in case it rained!
The marker isn't staining since it's children's washable marker. I think that if I just put it under running water the marker would go through the fabric and disappear completely. Especially with what advice you've given me.

Thanks for your time. I'll see how it goes! ^_^

Unread 06-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

I'd try soaking the jacket in warm, soapy water.
Unread 06-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
blackcat523
Rum is always the answer

Hand washing is always preferable to machine washing if your not sure.

Also try some scraps and some light cleaners. You could try Oxyclean or even those tide stain pens (I've had those remove Ink and chocolate and blood no bad issues) but always always test a scrap or a piece where it's not as noticeable.

2012 planned conventions: ACEN 2012
Others- Bristol Renaissance Faire- Kennosha WI, weekends Jul. 7 thru Labor day weekend

~ Even the professionals had to start out as beginners at one point~

~ooo seam ripper, I shall call him shiny and he shall be my friend~
blackcat523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

If the patch is the same sort of patch that one finds on say, scouting uniforms, it should be fine in the wash. My brother and I both have patches on our tae kwon do uniforms, and it'd be pretty silly if they weren't washable. Martial arts uniforms generally need to be boiled if the wearer is serious, and any decorations either make it or don't. I've found that they usually do.

Also, being fully lined isn't what makes something non-washable, it's the fabric that it's made/lined with.
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
PurpleDuckie
The Most Purple Duck

Next time you write, try and get one of those fabric pencils that rub off the clothes. Or use a very light coloured pencil crayon. (I use a white pencil crayon on lighter fabrics, no problems with it being visible so far!)

for the patch. Is the patch an embroidered applique something like this
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...=l&tid=1568742
if so it is washable.

if the patch is painted on with plasticy stuff (like they use on some t-shirts) then it is washable

if the patch is painted on, it might be washable but I wouldn't throw it in the washing machine.

----

as for if the jacket is washable ... as sugguested do a pre-test with any extra you have. You can also look up the type of fabric used and see if it is washable (you should be able to find results on google. Washing by hand though would be the best method, since it is only specific areas you want cleaned and you can scrub them a little better
Cosplay Tutorial (Tumblr)

Cosplay Plans:
Frostcon: Porygon Z
Anime North: Luna from VLR
Atomic Lollipop: Yellow or Malshina from Akibaranger
PurpleDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
blackcat523
Rum is always the answer

For a marking pencil, I actually use white kids chaulk (less then a buck a box and goes a long way) and it rubs off and comes off easily with a tiny bit of water. It doesn't stain. When I've used the fabric pencils I would get a light stain where they had been (especially the blue ones) and for the cost and such chaulk is easier (don't need a sharpener for chaulk but you can sharpen it if you need to).

2012 planned conventions: ACEN 2012
Others- Bristol Renaissance Faire- Kennosha WI, weekends Jul. 7 thru Labor day weekend

~ Even the professionals had to start out as beginners at one point~

~ooo seam ripper, I shall call him shiny and he shall be my friend~
blackcat523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
KurohaneShizumi
☆静☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garen View Post
If the patch is the same sort of patch that one finds on say, scouting uniforms, it should be fine in the wash. My brother and I both have patches on our tae kwon do uniforms, and it'd be pretty silly if they weren't washable. Martial arts uniforms generally need to be boiled if the wearer is serious, and any decorations either make it or don't. I've found that they usually do.

Also, being fully lined isn't what makes something non-washable, it's the fabric that it's made/lined with.
The fabric is a polyester blend. I made sure to ask the fabric store owner. ^_^ Is that washable?

The lining is just a normal lining, I think. (I know it's not something as nice as slik, but it is silky.)

As for the patch... I have a link at the bottom as to what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDuckie View Post
Next time you write, try and get one of those fabric pencils that rub off the clothes. Or use a very light coloured pencil crayon. (I use a white pencil crayon on lighter fabrics, no problems with it being visible so far!)

for the patch. Is the patch an embroidered applique something like this
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...=l&tid=1568742
if so it is washable.

if the patch is painted on with plasticy stuff (like they use on some t-shirts) then it is washable

if the patch is painted on, it might be washable but I wouldn't throw it in the washing machine.

----

as for if the jacket is washable ... as sugguested do a pre-test with any extra you have. You can also look up the type of fabric used and see if it is washable (you should be able to find results on google. Washing by hand though would be the best method, since it is only specific areas you want cleaned and you can scrub them a little better
Yeah, I'm probably going to do that. A link to the picture of the patch is at the bottom of this reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat523 View Post
For a marking pencil, I actually use white kids chaulk (less then a buck a box and goes a long way) and it rubs off and comes off easily with a tiny bit of water. It doesn't stain. When I've used the fabric pencils I would get a light stain where they had been (especially the blue ones) and for the cost and such chaulk is easier (don't need a sharpener for chaulk but you can sharpen it if you need to).
I'll keep this in mind, thank you for your input! ^_^

This is what the patch I bought looks like:
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/3...1666uk0.th.jpg
http://www.anime-toybox.com/catalog/DSC00564_thumb.JPG
http://i21.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/3a/d9/17a2_35.JPG
(All images from Google.)

Thank you all for your suggestions!