Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 05-23-2002, 09:52 AM   #1
Philia Philis
I <3 Peppermint Patties!

Smile Fiberglassing!

Yup yup, you know you all want to try this! XD Okies, I told Rosiel I'd post this for her and managed to forget for a million years, but here it is finally! Yay! This is going to be my end-all writeup on fiberglassing so I can just refer people to this thread whenever they ask me how to do it. XD

If you have any questions, just ask me, and I will try in my own sad, pitiful little way to give you a decent answer. XD Just remember, I don't know how much it'll cost or how much time it takes. There's a LOT of time taken in sanding if you want to get it to the correct smoothness. And as for how much it costs, er... ask Home Depot. XD It's not very expensive.
Anywho, here we go.....

First, you have to make a mold. There are several ways of doing this:

For chest armor, bracers, and other such fitted things: Make a cheap dressform using one Duct Tape Method #1 from this website-http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00002.asp
You can use the same technique for wrapping just about any part of your body. I actually made one of my head for a wigstand. XD Just gotta be careful.
If the armor sticks out from the body some, I would try adding some 1/4" or 1/2" upholstery foam (the stuff that comes in big sheets at Joann's) to the dressform.

For swords: Depending on the size and shape, either shape them out of florists' foam or cut them out of a very light wood, like balsa or basswood.

For shoulder guards and other such miscellaneous things: Shape them out of florists' foam, wood, plastic, whatever. XD Be creative. For my rockets, we used two Coke bottles, filled them with that foaming insulation stuff that comes in a can, then cut off the tops of the bottles where the necks were and also the bottoms of the bottles. Then we shaped florists' foam to the shape of what the rocket tops were supposed to look like and glued them on. The black part on the bottom was shaped out of florists' foam, and the fin was made of wood.

Anywho, next you cover the mold with a large piece of plastic (ie: trash bag) and lay the fiberglass cloth over it. [You only must cover it if you want to save your mold.] Then mix the resin (it comes in a can) and catalyst(it comes in a tube) and spread it over the fiberglass. [Also a quick note on mixing the resin and catalyst- do it in a cheap plastic cup that you can throw away. This stuff will NOT come off anything. So you also must use a disposable paintbrush for applying the resin to the cloth.]

After the resin dries, repeat this process to whatever thickness you desire. When it's as thick as you want it, sand it. THIS would be the part that takes ages. You have to SAND and SAND and SAND to get it smooth enough to look really nice. After you have done this, you will most likely notice teeny little holes ("pinholes") in the fiberglass. They are annoying and will not be magically filled up with your spray paint, so you must fill them with an auto body filler like BONDO. Once you have done this and it has dried, sand it again, fill the pinholes again, sand again, etc etc etc, until all of the pinholes are gone . Then paint it with spray paint and seal it.

Yay! Done! ^___^ *takes a breather* It really is simpler than it sounds. I just have this tendency to over-explain things. ^^;;;

If you want to see pictures, just IM me and ask. ^^ I can't seem to get them to work here for some strange reason. ^^;

Last edited by Philia Philis : 05-23-2002 at 10:04 AM.
Philia Philis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2002, 12:45 PM   #2
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

Hey Philia, that's a really helpful post. Thanks!
Unread 05-29-2002, 12:46 AM   #3
chibi_kitty

when you say florists foam do you mean oasis... the stuff you arrange flowers in?
chibi_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2002, 10:45 AM   #4
Philia Philis
I <3 Peppermint Patties!

> Hey Philia, that's a really helpful post. Thanks!

^^ No problem, Mei Lan!

> when you say florists foam do you mean oasis... the stuff you arrange flowers in?

Is oasis the stuff that's like, really really soft? *not sure* Because if it is, that's the stuff that's too soft. I saw three kinds of green florists' foam at the craft store I checked- the first was very stiff and I couldn't easily make an indention in it with my finger(just like regular white foam). The second was soooo soft that it practically just crumbled in my hand when I picked it up(is that the oasis stuff?), and the last kind I was about to indent easily, but I did have to put a little pressure on it. You want the last kind. ^^ It sands to the shape you want VERY easily and is great to work with.
Unread 05-30-2002, 04:15 PM   #5
Legato/Machan
Errare humanum est

thanx Philia, this post helped me a lot!!!!
Legato/Machan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2002, 11:58 PM   #6
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

Looks to be VERY helpful if I ever get over my deep fear of fiberglass. I helped make a canoe in 8th grade; I had fragments of fiberglass in my fingers for weeks. So this leads to two things, a) you should maybe add some safety stuff to this for people who (like the guy who helped me) wouldn't think of everything, and b) do you have any tips on how to NOT get fiberglass in your hands?
Unread 06-10-2002, 12:25 PM   #7
Philia Philis
I <3 Peppermint Patties!

Ahh, I'm such a dummy! I totally forgot to reply to this! Sowwy, Ayaka! ;_;

Anywho, I'm glad you guys are finding it useful! My dad says that you can use latex gloves, but they will not last very long! XD Hmm... safety tips! Good idea! *will add those*
Unread 06-11-2002, 02:54 PM   #8
yayahan
YayaHan.com

Please make sure to wear googles and something to cover your month, as well as latex gloves. Fiberglass Fragments stay in your body forever once they are inhaled or enter through pores and believe me, you do not want that to stay in you.

^^ Nice tutorial, Erin!
Unread 06-11-2002, 04:56 PM   #9
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> Fiberglass Fragments stay in your body forever once they are inhaled or enter through pores and believe me, you do not want that to stay in you.

LOL Yaya, you single-handedly managed to terrify me away from fiberglassing... I am SUCH a klutz... if I can sew my fingers to my costumes, I can only imagine what I could do with fiberglass.

>_<
Unread 06-11-2002, 06:42 PM   #10
Philia Philis
I <3 Peppermint Patties!

Eeeek, oh no! Cybeeeeeeeele, don't worry! I freaked out when my dad first told me that stuff too! It sounds scarier than it is, trust me. XD
But yes, Yaya is quite right (thankies, Yaya! ^^), and you do have to be really really careful.

OH! One more thing! My goodness, I can't believe I forgot to add this! *will remember to fix it later* When you sand the fiberglass, it's a good idea to do WET SANDING. Meaning, get everything all wet when you sand it. XD It keeps the fiberglass dust you generate from getting into the air. Don't think that means you can get away with not wearing your safety equipment though. ^^ Better to be safe than sorry, as they say.

Last edited by Philia Philis : 06-13-2002 at 06:48 PM.
Unread 06-11-2002, 07:21 PM   #11
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> Better to be safe than sorry, as they say.

I have a feeling I willo have to go do it on the roof of my building and away from my cat, if I ever try... he gets his nose in EVERYTHING. >_<
Unread 06-13-2002, 05:03 PM   #12
Ringo
紙の翼

Oooo! More fiberglassing. We used fiberglass for Silky from tenshi ni narumon (http://www.paper-wings.org/gallery/s...ilky-index.jpg)
Wet sanding? We will definatly have to try that!
Unread 06-13-2002, 06:18 PM   #13
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

Oh I saw you at Akon! I don't remember how it came about but I remember talking to you. *lack of sleep z__Z*

Your accessories were nicely done. Maybe I SHOULD try then... >__>
Unread 06-14-2002, 01:51 AM   #14
Integral

>..< My hat ended up being a total bizzatch.. but I was very proud of the end result.

One suggestion over makinga mold-

I went the paper mache route, and made the form I wanted with poster-board & paper-mache and anything else I could find, and just fiberglassed over it. The paper mache isn't heavy, and you don't have to fight it trying to get the fiberglass off it. I just left mine on.

And the hat- Just used straight bondo on posterboard. foo. So I cheat and cut corners in a few places.. but not the places that need a lot of support! ha!
Unread 06-14-2002, 07:01 PM   #15
Ringo
紙の翼

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosiel
Oh I saw you at Akon! I don't remember how it came about but I remember talking to you. *lack of sleep z__Z*

Your accessories were nicely done. Maybe I SHOULD try then... >__>
Hmm.....were you in a costume. hmmm....*straches head*