Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #2911
small_lady
WARK!

Little big planet 2 pretty much owns me right now.
small_lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #2912
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Me and my family had so much fun playing that game. We have a great deal of trepidation about DA2. It seems like all the changes they made were to make it more like Mass Effect. Why? Nothing against Mass Effect but - why?

I'm thoroughly enjoying Ghost Trick. I'm on like, erm, Chapter 6 or so? Some of the puzzles are surprisingly tricky! I have no idea what's going on but now have an appreciation for DF's new avatar beyond "DAWWWWW!!!" Chicken Kitchen reminds me of Rural Juror and Urban Fervor (for all you 30 Rock fans).
Wait, Dragon Age Origins ISN'T like Mass Effect? Do you mean the gameplay? Hag, I know you and I get into this discussion every time a Bioware game gets brought up, but if I thought Mass Effect was the most boring game I've ever played, would I think Dragon Age Origins is boring as well, or is it more exciting?

To clarify, I didn't care about Mass Effect's story or characters, and I thought the gameplay and combat was bland. How different is Dragon Age? I really want to like this company's games, I just strangely don't.

As for Ghost Trick, some of the puzzles get really tricky because sometimes you need to have precise timing. It's kind of both interesting and frustrating that the puzzles are purposely designed around trial-and-error.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #2913
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
Wait, Dragon Age Origins ISN'T like Mass Effect? Do you mean the gameplay? Hag, I know you and I get into this discussion every time a Bioware game gets brought up, but if I thought Mass Effect was the most boring game I've ever played, would I think Dragon Age Origins is boring as well, or is it more exciting?
I think it's totally possible that you could be bored by ME and still like DA:O. My husband would play DA:O for like 9 hours straight on the weekends. He picked up the first ME several months ago and lost interest about half way through. From what I've seen of ME, the gameplay is totally different from DA:O. To me, ME seemed like a fairly straightforward over-the-shoulder shooter with a few RPG elements. (Note - this is based just on watching my husband play it; what I saw didn't motivate me to want to play it myself). DA was more like a full RPG/hack-n-slash hybrid. You can control any of your four active team members and switch between them at any time. So in any given battle you can switch around between playing as a warrior, a mage and a rogue. The warrior build can be sword/shield or two-handed weapon and the rogue build can be archer or dual weapon. You can also fight as your dog. And Dog is really fast. You can send him to take out those pesky fireball throwing mages that like to hide in the back; he'll knock them over and chew on their face. You can set up a tactics macro for each character or you can pause after each action and essentially do turn-based attacks except that the turns don't have to go in any particular order. It makes for a lot of variety. Having said that though, while the battles can be really exciting, I didn't find it to be a particularly fast-paced game. There is a lot of talking. A lot of it is pretty hilarious though, so I didn't mind it for the most part.

Quote:
As for Ghost Trick, some of the puzzles get really tricky because sometimes you need to have precise timing. It's kind of both interesting and frustrating that the puzzles are purposely designed around trial-and-error.
Yeah, there's been a couple of times where I've been like, "Oh no - I am NOT going online to cheat! There's only three places I can go! How friggin' complicated can it be? WAAAAAHHHH!" Then I finally see it and go, "Doh! I'm an idiot!"

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
The worst so far was the water drops in the prison. I guessed pretty quickly that they were involved, but I kept going up to the floor above trying to find a way to get to them there, thinking that I had to fall through the ceiling. -_-;
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #2914
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Funny because I was far more engrossed by Mass Effect 1 & 2, and Dragon Age doesn't pull me in the same way. D:

I borrowed Marvel vs Capcom 3 and played that a bunch last night. Super fun! I might have to buy it, but not at $60. >>;

Quote:
To clarify, I didn't care about Mass Effect's story or characters, and I thought the gameplay and combat was bland. How different is Dragon Age? I really want to like this company's games, I just strangely don't.
Did you only play ME1? You might want to try the second one. It's a lot more interesting and has new characters, and they just made everything better. You can also change combat up a little bit by trying out a new class. I don't know how different it REALLY is because I just played as a soldier all the time.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #2915
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Cooking Momma?
No those are beaten within a week of release. I'm playing a ton of MvC3. Now go play ME2, it's SOOOOOO good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
I'm currently playing Katsucon. The con hasn't even started yet and I'm already exhausted.

Gonna be playing MvsC3 in my hotel room during the off hours
And I legit saw/talked to you at said con! Hooray!

But yeah, a ton of MvC3, but OH MAN, XENOGEARS DROPS ON PSN TOMORROW, YAY!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #2916
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Quote:

Yeah, there's been a couple of times where I've been like, "Oh no - I am NOT going online to cheat! There's only three places I can go! How friggin' complicated can it be? WAAAAAHHHH!" Then I finally see it and go, "Doh! I'm an idiot!"

The worst so far was the water drops in the prison. I guessed pretty quickly that they were involved, but I kept going up to the floor above trying to find a way to get to them there, thinking that I had to fall through the ceiling. -_-;

The whole jail thing in general was a way bigger ordeal than it should have been. I kept missing the water drops too.

I'm not sure how far you are yet, so I'm going to be vague even under a spoiler tag. Besides the jail, the other hard part I had was the part in someone's office when you had to get something to him. It took me many many many tries to get the order of events down. Very frustrating.

Re:Mass Effect - Yes, I only played the first one, but that's because I didn't care enough about it to play the sequel. I'll get around to it at some point, I'm just not really in a rush.

And I'm not playing this, but I really wish I knew Japanese so I could import the new Miles Edgeworth game before it all gets spoiled for me. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I did look at what characters will be in it, and I'm really curious about how some of the returning characters will play out. Mainly

Regina Berry
and

Shelley DeKiller
Now I want to spoil it for myself!
Unread 02-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #2917
CountMetal
I GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!!!

I have been playing MvC 3 for the PS3. After a week of renting this game via gamefly I decided to keep it since this game rocks. I am looking forward to the DLC for this game.
CountMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 03:13 AM   #2918
Purple Flames
Rollin' like Jack Dempsey

Starcraft 2 has taken over my life.
Purple Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #2919
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:

I'm not sure how far you are yet, so I'm going to be vague even under a spoiler tag. Besides the jail, the other hard part I had was the part in someone's office when you had to get something to him. It took me many many many tries to get the order of events down. Very frustrating.

Yep - just did that last night. And that's ALL I did! XD It took me forever to figure out the first step and then I seriously facepalmed. But I'd spent so much time fiddling with the other stuff that once I got the water, the rest only took me a couple of tries. I had already guessed that the novelist's husband was the Chief Justice (or whatever his title is). And I figure that somehow all the blue people are working together - foreign spies? IDK I think that whoever Det. Jowd killed to save the 10-year old Lynne is probably important somehow.

But other than that - I still feel pretty clueless about what's going on. I think that's Chapter 10. How many chapters are there?

See, I want to play ME2 but feel like I shouldn't until I play ME1 and what I've seen of that doesn't really motivate me to pick it up. I'm the same way with Uncharted.
Unread 02-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #2920
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Quote:
I didn't care about Mass Effect's story or characters, and I thought the gameplay and combat was bland.
I'm playing Mass Effect 2 now too, and yeah, I'm not liking it as much as I was hoping. Characters are boring, and the gameplay is just a generic 3rd-person shooter with a few RPG elements. The conversation choices aren't that interesting either since still don't feel like I have an influence on the story.

It could have to do with me not playing the first game, or the fact that I just finished Valkyria Chronicles III and enjoying its more interesting characters and story.

Last edited by UNIT0918 : 02-22-2011 at 02:15 PM.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #2921
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
See, I want to play ME2 but feel like I shouldn't until I play ME1 and what I've seen of that doesn't really motivate me to pick it up. I'm the same way with Uncharted.
I played ME1 but I'm a masochist. ME2 was better and I wouldn't look down on anyone for skipping ME1 to play it.

As for Uncharted, I played the sequel first. I went back and played the original a year later (a week ago?). It was a good game, but with lots of flaws that Uncharted 2 clearly fixed. So I don't think you'd miss out on much. Both games throw you into the story and you just figure things out as you go along, so starting with 2 wouldn't confuse much.

Funny enough, both Mass Effect 1 & Uncharted 1 suffer from bad control vehicle sections that are absent from their sequels!

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #2922
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Quote:
But other than that - I still feel pretty clueless about what's going on. I think that's Chapter 10. How many chapters are there?
There's 18 chapters. You're at the point now where the story starts to pick up a bit. It's frustratingly vague throughout most of the game. Honestly, I hated it until a little before the part you're at now.

I only played Mass Effect 1 because my friend gave it to me and then kept getting pissed off that I wasn't finishing it, so I beat the bare minimum just to get the achievement for beating the game so he could see that and leave me alone.

If I played ME2 I think I'd rather not import my character (if I didn't delete her) because I made weird decisions just to get achievements. I'm an achievement whore like that.
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #2923
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Even if the story hasn't been gripping so far - there's been a lot of funny bits and characters. I like the roller-skating waitress with the chicken leg on her head and Detectives Green and Blue and the weird prison guards.

I know that I don't have to play ME1 or Uncharted 1 first - I just feel like I should. It's part of my OCDishness about games. I'm the same way with books too though. If it's a series, I have to read them in order.

I'm really compulsive about in-game stuff - must collect all heart pieces, must do all side quests - but I could care less about any of the trophies/achievements. Partly because some of them are so L-A-M-E.
Unread 02-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #2924
dividebyxero
dividebyxero

Marvel vs Capcom 3
dividebyxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #2925
cupofjasmine
felidaepounce

Heavy Rain. I can't get enough of it.
cupofjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote