Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #3001
Xwolf Okami
I am kid. Hear me roar.

Phantom Dust is one sharp-looking game. Did not expect it to look that good. The art director knew how to manipulate what they had to work with.

The music is also pretty boss. I am digging all the references to classical (and I believe Romantic era?) and folk music.

I N-P R O G R E S S C O S P L A Y:

AKITO WANIJIMA [AIR GEAR]. . . . . . . . . . . . .[95%]

RAND [DEMIKIDS]. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [05%]

Last edited by Xwolf Okami : 03-16-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Xwolf Okami is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #3002
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Man, we need another phantom dust.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #3003
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwolf Okami View Post
Phantom Dust is one sharp-looking game. Did not expect it to look that good. The art director knew how to manipulate what they had to work with.

The music is also pretty boss. I am digging all the references to classical (and I believe Romantic era?) and folk music.
So you know, you can replace any of the 7 or 8 arenas' themes with your own music if you rip CD's to your Xbox (or 360). Ooooh, shit, I should rip the Nier soundtrack and use music from that. Amazing OST with some god-tier boss fight music, would go great with Phantom Dust combat...

Btw, if the campaign mode starts to feel 'dry,' limit yourself to maybe an hour or so a day. It's definitely worth at least one playthrough. For one, you get an awesome story with more mindfucks than Silent Hill 2, and secondly, you just keep finding better and better Skills that can be used in multiplayer. Heavy battles (40 HP) are awesome. (and about the only way to survive for more than one hit if some asshole like me is making the most of Dance of Death.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
YES WE DO. I don't even care if the story sucks ass compared to the original game. I'd love to see a new Phantom Dust game, perhaps a bit more balanced out this time. Some of those Skills were pretty cheap, albeit fun to rend your hapless opponent with.

Last edited by Zweihander : 03-16-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Zweihander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #3004
Zerofox Kitsune
I am kid. Hear me roar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihander View Post
(or 360)
So this game is supposed to work with the 360? When I tried it, all I got was Open Tray/Close Tray. I'll test my 360 with Raiden 4 or Nier or another game I know works later. Otherwise, I'm using my original Xbox (good thing my uncle gave me his, or else I'd be screwed with Steel Battalion)

Quote:
Ooooh, shit, I should rip the Nier soundtrack and use music from that. Amazing OST with some god-tier boss fight music, would go great with Phantom Dust combat...
Doesn't sound like a bad idea...I should get around to playing more Nier.

Quote:
Btw, if the campaign mode starts to feel 'dry,' limit yourself to maybe an hour or so a day. It's definitely worth at least one playthrough. For one, you get an awesome story with more mindfucks than Silent Hill 2, and secondly, you just keep finding better and better Skills that can be used in multiplayer. Heavy battles (40 HP) are awesome. (and about the only way to survive for more than one hit if some asshole like me is making the most of Dance of Death.)
That sounds like what I'm doing, as I currently don't have a huge amount of time for vidya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
Even though I haven't played a whole lot of it, I'd have to agree.

I N - P R O G R E S S C O S P L A Y:
AGITO WANIJIMA [AIR GEAR]. . . . [95%]
GALE [DEMIKIDS]. . . . . . . . . . . . . .[05%]

Zerofox Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #3005
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Played Mortal Kombat demo.

Really good, even though me and my one friend are still terrible at fighters.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #3006
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerofox Kitsune View Post
So this game is supposed to work with the 360? When I tried it, all I got was Open Tray/Close Tray. I'll test my 360 with Raiden 4 or Nier or another game I know works later. Otherwise, I'm using my original Xbox (good thing my uncle gave me his, or else I'd be screwed with Steel Battalion)
Sweet, you have Steel Battalion too? Damn, that game is hard... But yeah, the 360 is backwards-compatible with Phantom Dust if it's updated. Protip: Stack some Heats (Nature), some Meditations (Ki) to balance out the aura recovery downside from Heat, then use High-Speed Punch (Ki) for up-close ATATATATATATATA punches and Rapid Cannon (Optical) for some Vegeta hand-lasers from a distance. Also keep a Tiger's Strength (Ki) on hand to use before doling out the harshness, and a Glacial Wall to screw your opponent over even more. This had to be my favorite deck for multiplayer, due to its versatility. Ideally, you'd want to end up with all your Heat and Meditation buffs before heading out with High-Speed Punch/ Rapid Cannon/ Tiger's Strength/ Glacial Wall, so you don't have to lose any of them to buff yourself more.

Alternately, if you want to make the most of Dance of Death (Ki), follow a similar strategy with stacking Heats and Meditations, then equip three Swift Punches (or Hyper Ki Lances) but don't use them; keep them on hand so Dance of Death will use their combined ATK power. (why I prefer Swift Punches, since it blocks you from accidentally using them if you're above aura level 2) If you want, you could substitute one of the Swift Punches for a defense skill, or better yet, Lightning Speed (Ki) so you can rush down your opponent with DoD. (A Heat-buffed DoD attack with two or three Swift Punches can easily do upwards of 20 damage, making it a dick move unless you're playing a Heavy battle.)

Hope this helps. Also for the final battle, make sure you create a deck similar to the first one I mentioned, since you need one deck that will last you for three battles, two of which are forced long-range.

Last edited by Zweihander : 03-17-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Zweihander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #3007
Zerofox Kitsune
I am kid. Hear me roar.

Quote:
Sweet, you have Steel Battalion too? Damn, that game is hard...
Yup. For sure.

And I'll keep those things in mind. I'll try updating my 360, as well as those decks and strategies.

I N - P R O G R E S S C O S P L A Y:
AGITO WANIJIMA [AIR GEAR]. . . . [95%]
GALE [DEMIKIDS]. . . . . . . . . . . . . .[05%]

Zerofox Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #3008
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

So.... 3DS. I can totally see the 3D. It looks fucking AWESOME!! my sister, however, cannot. She said it just looks blurry and she can only sort of see it with the 3D slider up one click.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #3009
SailorMoonUsagi
Why can't I be you?

Kingdom Hearts for the first time, lol (where have I been the last 10 or so years).

I'm really angry about it too, the bosses are so hard. I've been trying to beat Ansem,(would that be considered a spoiler..?) but he keeps beating me and I never have enough time to heal. Ughhh. T_T It's so frustrating, and what's worse is that you can't skip the cutscenes.

Last edited by SailorMoonUsagi : 03-18-2011 at 03:20 PM.
SailorMoonUsagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #3010
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMoonUsagi View Post
Kingdom Hearts for the first time, lol (where have I been the last 10 or so years).

I'm really angry about it too, the bosses are so hard. I've been trying to beat Ansem,(would that be considered a spoiler..?) but he keeps beating me and I never have enough time to heal. Ughhh. T_T It's so frustrating, and what's worse is that you can't skip the cutscenes.
:/

Anyway...trying to figure out whether or not I wanna pick up pixel junk shooter 2 or slam bolt slammers when I get home, because I am doing fuck all this weekend.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #3011
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMoonUsagi View Post

I've been playing the one on the DS with Roxas (I honestly couldn't remember the name of the game to save my life). It would be a lot more fun if it had controls that made sense, a better camera system, and if Roxas and Axel didn't have phallic-looking ice cream after every mission while exchanging innuendo-y dialgoue about how happy sucking on ice cream makes them.
Unread 03-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #3012
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
I've been playing the one on the DS with Roxas (I honestly couldn't remember the name of the game to save my life). It would be a lot more fun if it had controls that made sense, a better camera system, and if Roxas and Axel didn't have phallic-looking ice cream after every mission while exchanging innuendo-y dialgoue about how happy sucking on ice cream makes them.
Isn't that what Kingdom Hearts is all about these days?

Anyhoo, I haven't really been playing much of anything lately (still trying to get over my trip to Japan, ha ha; and to think, I could have gone to PAX instead, yeargh), but I did download the demos for Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 and Mortal Kombat.

It feels really weird being able to jump in a Bionic Commando game. The actual jumping mechanic itself isn't very smooth, either, though that might have been intentional.

Mortal Kombat feels like, well, Mortal Kombat.

Last edited by Archelon : 03-18-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Archelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:56 AM   #3013
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Currently playing:
Okamiden, Gods Eater Burst, Muchi Muchi Pork, and TF2.
Unread 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #3014
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Beat Persona 3 Portable again spending about 60 hours on the fucking game. D/Led that Dissidia 012 prologue to hold me over until Tuesday.

Console wise, I'm in the middle of a move, so it's only been the MK demo, MvC3 and ME2

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #3015
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archelon View Post
Isn't that what Kingdom Hearts is all about these days?
Oh god, I forgot the best part too... Roxas keeps a freaking diary in which he writes about having ice cream with Axel. The other day there was some part where he was by himself, so he wrote in his diary about how lonely he is without Axel but still does the ice cream thing anyway even though it's not the same without him and his hands get all sticky and taste salty.
There was also dialogue in which they described sucking out the white creamy salty stuff from the center of the ice cream popsicle thing.

Seriously, you guys, I'm not gutter-minded or anything like yaoi fangirls are, and if I feel like this dialogue is vaguely dirty, I can only imagine what the fangirls think.D: