Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #3331
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
My sister and I decided to rewatch Slayers which made us realize that it's not just cons that have changed, liking anime has changed. We used to do everything a lot differently before we could buy manga in bookstores or stream anime on the net.
It's a different time right now. I remember watching Outlaw Star on toonami after getting home from school and knowing how edited it was, so I made an effort to get out there and buy it as it was released. You used the internet to get information about anime, rather than watch it. You had to put in a lot more legwork to see anime, it was a special thing that you needed to go out of your way to experience. Now it's everywhere, everyone is into it, it feels a little less special, and there is a DRAMATIC drop in quality since the 90's. If it weren't for Madoka, last winter would have been a complete loss. Hell, I'm cosplaying from anime less and less, My next 3 outfits are all from games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post
RE: The Game. Here's a fun game. Call them out on it. I've started doing this over a year ago, and its hilarious to watch while they stumble for an answer.

RE: PAX East. Man what a great con. I'm sure the PAX Primers agree w/ us.
I actually did call some random kids who were yelling "the game" out at Katsucon. they shouted, I yelled back, "YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!" and they actually didn't. It's a sad state of affairs, but it's constant and it makes me not want to go. It wasn't always like this, that's the worst part. Smaller cons like Bakaretsu Con are still fairly okay. Usually only one cat is annoying there and, save for the ones who actually have something wrong with them, is still pretty tame

I think you got like, 5 free drinks out of me at PAX during the Poke-Crawl. God that was a fun night. Why can't anime cons be like that? That's why when people ask me what I'm going to next year, Pax or AB, I just laugh like the heavy and walk away.

Quote:
Yeah, this is why I want to start limiting my conventions to just stuff like Wondercon. I don't know what changed, if it's because I'm more mature and cons have always been this way, or if it's because cons are popping up all over now so EVERYONE is able to go to cons now.
The number one rule I have regarding going to cons is "prepare to make your own fun". Over the past 3 years, I have not been entertained by an anime con. I have had a ton of fun going, but the con itself has never kept me entertained. I end up getting bored, finding friends, cosplaying to my heart's content and usually getting drunk before the night is over (or sometimes when the morning is starting). Panels, concerts, game rooms, they're all just...super blase. Companies don't announce anything anymore, fan panels always devolve into "no I know this show better than you so there," I haven't seen a really good Masq since AB09...It's a real bummer. And that's without going into specifics of certain cons. It makes me think about adding PAX prime to my con season, even if it is 100% on the other side of the country (Literally, same longitude line and everything).

And it's not that I'm getting bored with cons, because I had a great time at comiccon 2 years ago, I had a great time raiding Capcom after parties at comiccon last year (without going to the con), PAXEast has always entertained me, and when me and mine do private shoots, we ALWAYS have fun, even if it's just going down the street to the heavily wooded areas. Me and mine, while getting some dinner on the town, had a really loud argument about how to make cons better. We came up with 15 good ideas in the span of 20 minutes, and they all seemed like no brainers, but 0 anime cons are doing them. I think that's the most frustrating part of it all.

::Huff:: Catharsis. To keep this on track....yo everyone go buy Outland. Best 2D platformer of the year.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~

Last edited by Mesoian : 05-10-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #3332
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Found uses for my remaining $10 of XBLA points after getting Bangai-O Missile Fury... which is outstanding, by the way. I'm leaning toward "best Bangai-O ever" but I'd like to finish at least half of the stages before making a definite statement on that. It takes the best of the old and mixes it with the best of the new. The arsenal of abilities is almost overwhelming at first, but becomes second nature pretty quickly.

Anyway, Decimation X3 is the best Space Invaders clone I've played so far, IMO. Shoot1up and I MAED A GAME WITH ZOMB1ES IN IT!!!1 are worth mentioning, as well. They all offer a lot of value for $1 each. On a less-thrilling note, the Castlevania: SotN "action theme" is crap. As in "something a teenager on Deviant Art would throw together" crap. Avoid.

Been replaying all of my Cave 360 shmups lately, as well as some more Bayonetta and Vanquish.
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #3333
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
PSN is still down from when I checked yesterday and I still can't get my hands on the 2 DLC episodes for that.
If you're referring to Case Zero and Case West, those are 360-exclusives.
Archelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #3334
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archelon View Post
If you're referring to Case Zero and Case West, those are 360-exclusives.
...you're right, should have checked the system name on GameFAQs. Only Off the Record, which isn't out yet is on PS3.

Guess that takes care of that --- though I wonder what I'm missing.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #3335
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

For the record (ha), Off the Record isn't a DLC episode. It's a full retail release.
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #3336
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
...you're right, should have checked the system name on GameFAQs. Only Off the Record, which isn't out yet is on PS3.

Guess that takes care of that --- though I wonder what I'm missing.
Not much...

In fact, by playing Case Zero, I decided that I didn't actually need a full Dead Rising experience and that Case Zero would totally suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archelon View Post
For the record (ha), Off the Record isn't a DLC episode. It's a full retail release.
And that's god damn poor.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #3337
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

While I will agree that something like Off the Record would probably be better suited as DLC, part of me likes the fact that they're doing something different from the typical "Director's Cut" or "Super Complete Edition X: Turbo" that Capcom is so well known for, which is what Off the Record originally started out as, anyway.

Is it worth the price of a full retail release? Not really, no, but they may adjust the price accordingly since it is, essentially, a re-release. Maybe they'll even sweeten the deal for PS3 owners by including Case Zero and Case West.
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #3338
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
Not much...

In fact, by playing Case Zero, I decided that I didn't actually need a full Dead Rising experience and that Case Zero would totally suffice.
I never quite grasp those comments. Personally, I find the entire game pretty fun.

Though to be fair, the entire truth of gaming forums is about not liking games.

---

On Off The Record: Whoa. On one side, I'm kind of interested, on the other, disappointed. I'm guessing it depends on how much is new in the game.

IE: I didn't mind the GTA4 DLC episodes event if they weren't in new locales.

So even if it's still Fortune City, keeping some hope.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #3339
Seraphy
Nagare~

Quote:
The cake thing was awesome in context, it's not when yelled randomly. Applies to a lot of meme (And a lot of them just aren't funny, but that doesn't seem to register to most)

----------
PSN is still down from when I checked yesterday and I still can't get my hands on the 2 DLC episodes for that.
I think the last time I used the cake meme... was when my brother and I were picking up my mom's birthday cake a few days ago. They couldn't find it for about 15 minutes, so I said the cake is a lie. In a literal sense.

-----
I really hope that Sony isn't stupid and puts up crappy games for the free downloads.
Seraphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #3340
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
WALL OF TEXT
This. Everything you just said. I don't even really like anime that much any more, but when I watch the older stuff I still like it. When I try to watch most anime these days I just feel really embarrassed by all the stupid shit they put in (you know, like when the character starts spinning around for no reason or starts flailing their arms for no reason or any of that other "omg so random!" crap) I also enjoy anime cons even though I never see any panels, go to any concerts, etc. I just hang out with friends and have fun that way.

As for what I'm playing.... it's finals week. Yeah.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #3341
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
As for what I'm playing.... it's finals week. Yeah.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...04808638-5.jpg

Seriously though - good luck!
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #3342
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name

Quote:
Oh also, Portal 2 was freaking amazing, and "Want You Gone" is a billion times better than "Still Alive". If idiots at Fanime ruin that song for me (like the guy that one year who stood outside playing "Still Alive" on speakers on repeat ALL WEEKEND!) I will be so pissed.
That song owns on all sorts of levels. It would be difficult to ruin it. And it would be a sad day if it were ruined.

On the whole cons thing, I can't seem to make my friends budge on trying out PAX. I tell them it's a hojillion times better, but they don't take too well with my hyperbole. Cons get worse due to meme nonsense replacing truly random and enjoyable nonsense that used to take place. EXAMPLE! Otakon 2003 had a guy dressed as Godzilla around the area leading to the dealer's room running around and knocking down guys dressed up as buildings. You just don't see stuff like that anymore. You don't even hear good memes anymore like "crab battle!" And the whole con experience leaves you behind in the dust if you aren't blindly devoted to the newest junk out there like Soul Eater and other stuff that's a ripoff of another ripoff of dragonball z/bleach/yu yu hakusho.

Also, the over-saturation of the internet is cheapening the experience. Cons were cool because you could find stuff nowhere else; now it's more expensive at the con. Dealer's rooms are not as packed with vendors like they used to because they're not making their money back. The young and budding artists in the artist alley are being replaced by web-comic artists and other already-established guys whom we've already seen too much of due to internet saturation. Not to mention the quality of artists in the alley aren't what they used to be, and most of them are doing the same thing so there's little variety. And did I mention few new artists join the fray, and the room is mostly comprised of art you weren't a fan of the first time you sampled it years back?

/rant

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #3343
The Seventh Sea
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!!

Dungeon Fighter Online, its the only thing keeping my attention right now.

Also, all this talk about anime cons changing into meme infested garbage is really damn depressing =/ I almost feel like not going to any myself because I'd feel embarrassed.
The Seventh Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #3344
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name

The main point is that a con is worth it to enjoy with friends. The con itself doesn't have the sole ability to entertain without assistance like it used to. There are still reasons to go, and to be honest the meme's aren't much of a bother outside of the bigger conventions like Otakon and bigger.

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 02:44 AM   #3345
The Seventh Sea
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader_8 View Post
The main point is that a con is worth it to enjoy with friends. The con itself doesn't have the sole ability to entertain without assistance like it used to. There are still reasons to go, and to be honest the meme's aren't much of a bother outside of the bigger conventions like Otakon and bigger.
Now that I think about it, the last con (Sac Anime) was much more enjoyable when I met Kazu and his girlfriend (fiancee?).

Maybe if I attend more cons, I'll have a better understanding of what's going on.
The Seventh Sea is offline   Reply With Quote