Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #3646
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Finished Radiant Historia, started Monster Tale. I'm about halfway through it according to my progress screen, but I'm also spending a lot of time grinding to level up my forms to master its skills and to get enough money to buy the required items to unlock each form. I'm enjoying it but it seems kind of watered down compared to Henry Hatsworth.

Also replaying Cave Story because that game impresses me so much.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2011, 04:40 AM   #3647
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stina006 View Post
ALSO! confused about Dissidia 012...So Tidus is suddenly on the bad guy team? What?
Did they lose their memories?
It's apparently a prequel to the first Dissidia. But Dissidia's story is so bad that I don't pay attention.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #3648
Mizioki
Crownless King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archelon View Post
It's also really glitchy, which is kind of expected from Grasshopper and UE3, but still unfortunate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
Seriously, I don't understand why people give it a pass.
(im not using these as major quotes for the reviews I disagree with,just samples to the further argument that i'll use them later in)

Archelon and Mesoian,I find both your reviews on Suda 51's games Shadows of the Damned and No More Heroes very very disrespectful not only that it seems like a terrible review with a ''im right your wrong'' attitude. but you also fail to provide a fair opinion.

1st. I'm gonna talk about Meso review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
It looks terrible, it plays terrible, it's a bad game. Just because random crazy shit happens like turning into a tiger occationally happens doesn't make it good. The constant penis stuff (in this and in shadows of the damned) is funny ONCE. When you turn it into a game mechanic, it becomes stupid.

Oh wait, now I remember, it's DRENCHED in style and interesting characters. I wish Mikami worked with Suda on THAT game, because at the very least, we could have gotten something as good, if not better than Bayonetta. But Suda51 though that making a shitty game could be used as alagory for how old 8 bit games were, needlessly frustrating and containing things not integral to the main quest. And that game SUFFERS for it, both of them do. It's kind of shame that the game those two decide to work on first is a 3rd person shooter. Vanquish wasn't great.
How can you judge a game first of all for its graphics? suda was generous at all to even give Nintendo such a great game they had exclusively for the Wii, its not his fault the console could'nt keep it as pretty as all you jerks want it. not every game is gonna look like Final Fantasy 13. GRAPHICS DONT MAKE A GREAT GAME

Suda is a man with a genius mind because he is inspired by the top notch western movie directors all people know and love and his mind is fixated on making all things interesting and fun. what you feel trolled that a game designer chooses to troll you by having him charge his kitana by jerking it like so called sexual joke? or that he just randomly turns into a tiger to get a small instant chance of instant-kill ability? who the hell complains about something like that in a video game.

PLUS he based the game off a part of his personality, it was ment to be relatible to the fans to understand if they could have a crazy life if the imagination of an otaku could blossom. i'll be honest the world traveling to gain money in first game was extremely annoying but he even tried hard to fix issues people complained about in first game. and the 2nd game has some small problems too but all games do and they werent a big issue.

what a game needs to suceed is a interesting story that keeps the player interested, possibly a new gameplay experience that people will love (the wii was new at the time so all people enjoyed the experience of playing it without simply a controller, and SOTD use of RE mechanics into a light/darkness feature which was also new experience and fun] and great music! it deserves the rating it got, dont give your immature rating without being fair with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archelon View Post
it's amazing just how much it lifts directly from Resident Evil 4 Perhaps that's to be expected given Shinji Mikami's involvement, but even so, this game is a prime example of why simply copying a successful game's template is not enough to guarantee success.

And now that I think about it, I guess you could say the same thing about Resident Evil 5, ha.
and you, I don't even need to discuss your opinion. you cant say a game is ''copying'' another when they were both worked on by Shinji Mikami. it's his style. you hate it? then dont give RE4 major love and SOTD the complete opposite. alright? thats like complaining about DMC and Bayonetta but saying Bayonetta copied them and failed in succession for it.

either way i'll be playing Shadows of the Damned again, because I appreciate it for what suda tries to give for the viewers to have a great and loving experience, he doesnt treat his games seriously to make them at the top of the world of the best game ever, he just tries to make great games for us to remember.

I'll also be playing halo reach now for upcoming Anniversary game, i'm playing Mortal Kombat and i'll be looking to try SSF4: AE since I havn't played since SF4.

Last edited by Mizioki : 07-03-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Mizioki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #3649
The Seventh Sea
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!!

Playing Monster Hunter FU again. I want to try out that Grand Knight's History though.
The Seventh Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #3650
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizioki View Post
*snip*
Dude. Why so serious? XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
Finished Radiant Historia, started Monster Tale. I'm about halfway through it according to my progress screen, but I'm also spending a lot of time grinding to level up my forms to master its skills and to get enough money to buy the required items to unlock each form. I'm enjoying it but it seems kind of watered down compared to Henry Hatsworth.
Yeah, I had that problem too. I really had to work at unlocking all the forms and it also seems that if you don't level them up evenly (or something) that some forms won't evolve. :/ I never figured out exactly how it worked, but some of my guys got stuck and I never did get all the forms.

If you're farming for money, use the drill attack. It lets you juggle enemies and they drop tons of stuff. In fact - that's another problem with the game. The drill is so much better than any other attack, there's really no point in using anything else. :/

So, yeah, the game was disappointing for me. It was fun enough that I did finish it though. The boss battles are good - very similar to HH in mechanics, but less hilarious.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #3651
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Dude. Why so serious? XD

Yeah, I had that problem too. I really had to work at unlocking all the forms and it also seems that if you don't level them up evenly (or something) that some forms won't evolve. :/ I never figured out exactly how it worked, but some of my guys got stuck and I never did get all the forms.

If you're farming for money, use the drill attack. It lets you juggle enemies and they drop tons of stuff. In fact - that's another problem with the game. The drill is so much better than any other attack, there's really no point in using anything else. :/

So, yeah, the game was disappointing for me. It was fun enough that I did finish it though. The boss battles are good - very similar to HH in mechanics, but less hilarious.
Yeah, I've been reading that if a form hits level 30 they wont be able to evolve into a branching form. So now I'm trying to not use certain forms until I get their next forms first.

And yeah, dude, I'm wondering what the point of all this farming even is when Chomp is so useless anyway. He barely even attacks on his own and Ellie's attacks are so much better.

But yeah, it's still a fun game and I'm going to play it until the end, I think I was expecting a cross between Henry Hatsworth, Metroid, and Pokemon and didn't quite get that. It's not a bad game though!
Unread 07-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #3652
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
-snip-
Wuh-oh, Suda defense force... Look, man, I loved the first NMH, but to be blatantly honest... the stages were bland and repetitive, the overworld sucked, the bike controls sucked even more, and the boss fights/ cutscenes were pretty much everything I remember enjoying about the game. Don't even get me started on NMH2, which slightly improved the gameplay but fucked everything else. NMH1 is definitely an experience, yeah. Especially when you get the "real ending." But be honest. In Suda's quest to parody bad video game design, his pretentiousness got the best of him. As a result, his "parody" ironically equaled to legitimate poor design choices.
Unread 07-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #3653
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
But yeah, it's still a fun game and I'm going to play it until the end, I think I was expecting a cross between Henry Hatsworth, Metroid, and Pokemon and didn't quite get that. It's not a bad game though!
It's extra disappointing, because they were so close. I don't know if it ever would have been a great game, but better distinction between the abilities of Chomp's forms, bigger differences between enemies with different elements, better balance between the types of attacks - it would have been a much better game. I mean, why have one attack (drill) be both the most powerful AND make enemies drop the most loot? Why have those upgrade things (I forget if that's what they were called) but not really limit the number of slots? You could pretty much use all of them at once so it wasn't like you had to do different builds for a defensive form and an offensive form or for different elemental attacks. Feh. I did think that the different worlds looked cool though and the dungeons were laid out pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihander View Post
In Suda's quest to parody bad video game design, his pretentiousness got the best of him. As a result, his "parody" ironically equaled to legitimate poor design choices.
Poe's Law
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #3654
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
(im not using these as major quotes for the reviews I disagree with,just samples to the further argument that i'll use them later in)

Archelon and Mesoian,I find both your reviews on Suda 51's games Shadows of the Damned and No More Heroes very very disrespectful not only that it seems like a terrible review with a ''im right your wrong'' attitude. but you also fail to provide a fair opinion.

1st. I'm gonna talk about Meso review

How can you judge a game first of all for its graphics? suda was generous at all to even give Nintendo such a great game they had exclusively for the Wii, its not his fault the console could'nt keep it as pretty as all you jerks want it. not every game is gonna look like Final Fantasy 13. GRAPHICS DONT MAKE A GREAT GAME

Suda is a man with a genius mind because he is inspired by the top notch western movie directors all people know and love and his mind is fixated on making all things interesting and fun. what you feel trolled that a game designer chooses to troll you by having him charge his kitana by jerking it like so called sexual joke? or that he just randomly turns into a tiger to get a small instant chance of instant-kill ability? who the hell complains about something like that in a video game.

PLUS he based the game off a part of his personality, it was ment to be relatible to the fans to understand if they could have a crazy life if the imagination of an otaku could blossom. i'll be honest the world traveling to gain money in first game was extremely annoying but he even tried hard to fix issues people complained about in first game. and the 2nd game has some small problems too but all games do and they werent a big issue.
So after all of that, you still haven't said anything about the actual game play. It's great that you consider Suda to be a visionary but that doesn't change the fact that NMH has COUNTLESS things wrong with it when it comes down the gameplay. It takes a lot of style for me to overlook bad gameplay and NMH's satire stance does go far enough to make it worth the ride. It's simply not a fun game to play, whatever commentary on the gaming/anime world he may have. I'm not buying NHM for the Ps3 because, even with all the graphical updates they're making, THEY AREN'T CHANGING THE CRAPPY GAMEPLAY.

CONVERSELY, though it's short and has a lot of the problems as RE4 (not 5), a game that is 6 years old, SOTD DOES do enough things different thematically to overlook the clunky engine the game has. That game is witty and funny and not a complete fucking chore to play, and yeah the phallic imagry grows old QUICKLY (the second time you have to jerk off a torch should be the last time you have to jerk off a torch), but it's fun to play and interesting and has a pretty amazing soundtrack. It is, without a doubt, Japan's best video game representative for satirizing american exploitation films.

That being said, Mikami still needs someone to reel him in because the camera in SOTD is a joke.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #3655
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name

Gamestop asked for my resignation, claiming that my long time with the company has taken its toll and I'm supposedly no longer engaged in my customer service and other responsibilities blah blah blah.

So now I have lotsa time playing ssf4AE and mocarina of time! I'm depressed.

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #3656
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader_8 View Post
Gamestop asked for my resignation, claiming that my long time with the company has taken its toll and I'm supposedly no longer engaged in my customer service and other responsibilities blah blah blah.

Sorry to hear that, but now you can move on to bigger and better things.
Archelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #3657
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. Hope things start looking up for you soon though, you'll find a better job.
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #3658
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

wooo!!!! just got the new alice game..and the downloadable for the first one..pretty sweet
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 05:15 AM   #3659
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Trying to play Mass Effect 2 again. Yeah, I know, I should've finished this game a long time ago when it got released for PS3, but I always get distracted by other games that can be completed quicker (usually shooters) to the point where I don't feel like going back to it, especially if it's a game that requires a lot of time like RPGs and action/adventure games.

Also still playing the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta with my friends. Seems like they got rid of the freezing and most of the lagging issues.

Oh yeah, and I just got Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 as well. Shut up.

Quote:

Oh man, did they not like your numbers or something? As a fellow GameStop employee, I'm very sorry to hear that. But I hope you find something bigger and better soon!
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #3660
Syrinx
Love and Peace!!

Quote:

aw.. i'm sorry... but honestly it's probably the best thing for you. like Archelon and fujin said, there are much better things out there for you

Sumia 25%
Link (OoT) 50%
Bowser 100% (repair work)
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote