Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #4066
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Archelon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #4067
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archelon View Post
It amazes me how other companies can take the time to actually fix something like the framerate in an HD re-release of an older title (Shadow of the Colossus, in this case), while Capcom somehow manages to muck things up so badly that slowdown that wasn't there in the original game is now somehow present in the HD version. Gah!
Capcom doesn't quite understand this, "put out the re-release to fund large scale future projects" deal yet. If they did, they would have re-released Okami HD on PS3 and 360 ages ago.

They're still in the, "Let's waste a fuckload of money making 5 versions of resident evil, 4 of which no one wants and see what sticks," phase.

An XBLA re-release of PN_05 would make them pretty big scale bank.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #4068
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
It's not a matter of sleeping at night so much as not feeling excessively annoyed while playing the game.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #4069
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
Capcom doesn't quite understand this, "put out the re-release to fund large scale future projects" deal yet. If they did, they would have re-released Okami HD on PS3 and 360 ages ago.
I'm not entirely sure they could do that, even if they wanted to. I seem to recall reading back when Ready at Dawn was porting Okami to the Wii that they were having to rewrite a not insignificant amount of the code from scratch, because most of the original code was lost during the dissolution and reshuffling of Clover. I suppose they could always just release an HD version of the Wii port, but I don't think anyone wants that.

Quote:
An XBLA re-release of PN_05 would make them pretty big scale bank.
See, why did you have to go and say that? Now I want it, and I know I'll never get it. ;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
It's not a matter of sleeping at night so much as not feeling excessively annoyed while playing the game.
But would that really help prevent you from feeling annoyed, though?
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #4070
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
But would that really help prevent you from feeling annoyed, though?
That remains to be seen. I started the game last night and only came up with the drug-addled theory this morning.

I've never played either game from Team Ico but was (am) interested in them because both come up consistently in any discussion of games as "art". I also find the idea of story-telling in games via gameplay far more interesting than story-telling via long-ass cut scenes. But the story that the game mechanic in Ico seems to be telling me is, "You are working hard to rescue someone who appears to be brain dead." My knee jerk reaction to that is, "Uh, why am I bothering?" If I can imagine that it is a temporary drug-induced condition - though perhaps thinking of it as an "evil magical spell" is more in line with the setting - then I might have more motivation. It doesn't bother me that you have to constantly lead her and help her - but the lag between calling her or trying to hold her hand and her actually responding makes it seem like she doesn't really have any interest in escaping and if it weren't for your insistent coaxing she would stand like a chunk of rock with her mouth hanging open until the shadow demons drag her into a black hole. Oh wait - that happens all the time! XD I'm going on the assumption that the lag is due to technical limitations at the time and not to an active decision on the part of the game designers. But maybe I'm wrong?

Anyway - the environments are lovely. The silent, solemn castle with sweeping vistas kind of reminds me of Boletarian Palace in Demon's Souls. I like both character designs. The puzzles so far are easy but I haven't gotten too far. If they get more complex, I suspect that will be enough to hold my interest. I know that the game isn't terribly long.

Your last three comments have been pretty pointed, I'm guessing that you have played the game and disliked it?
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #4071
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

No, I liked it.

I just like being snarky more.

To be fair, though, I haven't played it in years, so things I was willing to overlook back when it first came out may not receive the same generosity these days.

Also, I should probably mention I've never been big on the whole "games as art" debate, so if a game isn't fun to play, then I'm not as willing as other people to look past that just because it's artistically profound.

That said, I did enjoy ICO for what it was, though I wouldn't quite go so far as to say it's the timeless classic many make it out to be. Shadow of the Colossus, on the other hand, stands up to the test of time much better.

Last edited by Archelon : 09-29-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #4072
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

So after I was done with Shadows of the Colossus HD last night, I decided to spin Bastion back up and try a full all gods run.

Man you guys. You guys, seriously.

If you haven't bought Bastion yet, you need to go buy Bastion. That game is REALLY good.

Unread 09-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #4073
The Seventh Sea
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!!

Bought Kill Team, killing filthy xenos alone Where da fook are my online friends
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #4074
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
I just like being snarky more.
I know the feeling. XD

Quote:
To be fair, though, I haven't played it in years, so things I was willing to overlook back when it first came out may not receive the same generosity these days.
I honestly haven't played enough yet to really have an opinion. I'm at like the 4th or 5th save point. My first impressions aren't any more refined than "Ooooh, pretty game! Wow - she's dumb." I can imagine ultimately liking the game, or not, depending on how things develop.

Quote:
Also, I should probably mention I've never been big on the whole "games as art" debate, so if a game isn't fun to play, then I'm not as willing as other people to look past that just because it's artistically profound.
I find the debate interesting, but I don't go looking for Art with a capital A in my video game experience. I do find though that the games I end up enjoying the most are the ones that made me feel something or think about something more important than where do I go next and how do I kill this guy? A creative effort that makes one feel or think? Sounds like a reasonable definition of art to me. (:
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #4075
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

It's not that I don't appreciate games as an art form, it just sometimes feels like the term "artistic expression" is used more and more as a substitute for "poor game design" these days.

See: Any of Suda51's games, El Shaddai, etc.

Last edited by Archelon : 09-29-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #4076
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
It's not that I don't appreciate games as an art form, it just sometimes feels like the term "artistic expression" is used more and more as a substitute for "poor game design" these days.

See: Any of Suda51's games, El Shaddai, etc.
Eh, El Shaddai wasn't bad, and it was the crazy artistic stuff that got me into that game in the first place.

Suda's problem is that he's all about style before he's about making a functional game. He's best when he works with other people who know how to really put his style to good use. That being said, I have ZERO hope for Chainsaw Lollipop.

____

So...I just beat the Gears 3 campaign. Pretty good, the last chapter is pretty dumb, but I think that's just RE5 style AI idiocy.

So...that bodycount song. Yikes. I am embarrassed for all gamers everywhere. I literally turned flushed and looked around nervously to see if anyone else was hearing what I was hearing.

Last edited by Mesoian : 09-29-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #4077
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

I played the El Shaddai demo. I thought it looked great, but the fighting seemed not that interesting to me.

IDK - when I think about games as art though, I think less about the style or aesthetic (though that's part of it) and more about how unique is the gameplay and how creatively does it tell, or at least enhance, the story.

I thought that Catherine was really brilliant that way (even though I just said that I don't like long-ass cut scenes! XD). The style, as such, wasn't anything new or mind-blowing (IMO), though I did like the way it looked - especially the nightmare parts of it. But the way that the gameplay was interwoven with the story and represented all of Vincent's stress and fear was really creative and the whole game seemed fresh and unique to me.
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #4078
The Seventh Sea
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!!

Discovered Crescent Pale Mist on PSN Store....

SQUEEEE!!!!
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #4079
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I played the El Shaddai demo. I thought it looked great, but the fighting seemed not that interesting to me.

IDK - when I think about games as art though, I think less about the style or aesthetic (though that's part of it) and more about how unique is the gameplay and how creatively does it tell, or at least enhance, the story.
The problem with El Shaddai is that the most interesting things it does artistically, you won't see unless you get the full game. It does some really amazing stuff but there is no allusion to it at all. It just happens, suddenly and sporadically.

The gameplay is a little derivative, but it's a DMC clone (most of the time), so...::Shrugs::

Unread 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #4080
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
Eh, El Shaddai wasn't bad, and it was the crazy artistic stuff that got me into that game in the first place.

Suda's problem is that he's all about style before he's about making a functional game. He's best when he works with other people who know how to really put his style to good use. That being said, I have ZERO hope for Chainsaw Lollipop.

____

So...I just beat the Gears 3 campaign. Pretty good, the last chapter is pretty dumb, but I think that's just RE5 style AI idiocy.

So...that bodycount song. Yikes. I am embarrassed for all gamers everywhere. I literally turned flushed and looked around nervously to see if anyone else was hearing what I was hearing.
El Shaddai suffered was a weak (and by weak, I mean confusing as hell) narrative based on a Chapter in the bible, but I was a fan of it. Not a $60 fan, but something I can pick up on the cheap. As for Chainsaw Lollipop, I'll probably day 1 it. I REALLY liked the NMH series (although I've yet to see/read/hear anything good about the PS3 port), and I REALLY like James Gunn (Slither was also, as was "Super"), so I'm also kind of the targwt audience.

_____

You should really jump into the GoW3 spoiler thread if you want to want about that last chapter. And yeah, "Gears of War" is a terrible track.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote