Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #4351
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name

I am afraid to update my PSN... or should I worry? I hear horror stories of 4.00....

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2011, 04:47 AM   #4352
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Played a bunch of LBP2 and got to the last few stages. There were some really interesting levels in there. Loved the shooter ones. Got stuck on the story levels so I went to play some community levels for a bit tonight. Man, when you find the good stuff, it is GOOD. Too bad it's a headache sometimes, playing too many awful levels to find the well made ones.

I also tried out inFAMOUS which was, uh, really not what I was expecting? I had really high expectations I guess. I only played about an hour and wasn't terribly impressed, but I'll give it another go later.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #4353
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name

Most LBP community levels are only designed to reference/mimic someone else's work or even if it's an original level we're not talking about professional game makers who understand the nuances of pacing a designing learning curve into each part of your level.

In my opinion, when it comes to game design the first level of Super Mario Bros. is one of the best designs ever. You start on an empty screen, encouraging you to try buttons to change your own situation. You are then introduced to the necessity of jumping, then once you're jumping they show you a "?" brick over ordinary bricks. The pipes were visually designed in a way to make you think "hmm I could possibly go down one" and since you have a down button on your d pad it wouldn't be long before you discover rewarding secrets. Once those elements are introduced, the level goes into its own with the normal array of bricks, enemies and ? Bricks.

The average kid that designs an lbp level is this: "hey wouldn't it be awesome if I could turn ____ into an LBP level?" But again, I have no way to see if the overwhelming majority still do this since I'm deathly afraid of updating my console.

Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:04 AM   #4354
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Played a bunch of LBP2 and got to the last few stages. There were some really interesting levels in there. Loved the shooter ones. Got stuck on the story levels so I went to play some community levels for a bit tonight. Man, when you find the good stuff, it is GOOD. Too bad it's a headache sometimes, playing too many awful levels to find the well made ones.
I usually find it easier to just play the Mm Picks. Saves you the trouble of having to find the good levels yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader_8 View Post
In my opinion, when it comes to game design the first level of Super Mario Bros. is one of the best designs ever. You start on an empty screen, encouraging you to try buttons to change your own situation. You are then introduced to the necessity of jumping, then once you're jumping they show you a "?" brick over ordinary bricks. The pipes were visually designed in a way to make you think "hmm I could possibly go down one" and since you have a down button on your d pad it wouldn't be long before you discover rewarding secrets. Once those elements are introduced, the level goes into its own with the normal array of bricks, enemies and ? Bricks.
Egoraptor thought the same thing for the MegaMan games.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #4355
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

1) Had to reset the network settings back to factory, but I managed to get my 360 back online. This update will be dope once Santa delivers unto me a Kinect this X-mas, but for now, it's not doing much for me.

2) Played a ridiculous amount of Sonice Generations. The Colors level looked AMAZING in HD, but man, platforming is not this game's strongpoint. Also played some NBA Jam and some Gears 3 online.

3) Beat Bulletstorm and did all of the echoes. Definetly the most fun I've had with an FPS this year. Not sure if I'm gonna roll R4 HD or inFAMOUS next.

4) Started playing Megaman X Maverick Hunters for the PSP, which is fun, but man I miss the 2-D graphics.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #4356
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT0918 View Post
Good, I'm not insane then.

Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #4357
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

After many many hours of messing around with different builds and getting summoned for my favorite levels and boss fights, I finally beat Dark Souls. Definitely GOTY for me, and possibly co-favorite of all time with Katamari Damacy. I thought it was more fun than Demon's Souls but not nearly as hard. There was only once when I thought, "Man, I just don't know if I can ever do this," whereas I thought that about 20 times during Demon's Souls. I've beaten all the bosses in Hollow form at least once (so no summoning help) and finished the game at soul level 60. Still playing around with some other characters as well as NG+.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #4358
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Did a bunch of Gears of War 3 Horde mode over the weekend. I forgot how fun that is. Went up quite a few levels and even got a couple of achievements just from two nights of it. We usually stopped in the mid 30s.

I also borrowed God of War 3 from my friend, yay! Will be playing that tonight, I think.

Quote:
I usually find it easier to just play the Mm Picks. Saves you the trouble of having to find the good levels yourself.
Oh definitely, but I also want the trophies for playing new levels and stuff. 8D

Unread 12-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #4359
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Did a bunch of Gears of War 3 Horde mode over the weekend. I forgot how fun that is. Went up quite a few levels and even got a couple of achievements just from two nights of it. We usually stopped in the mid 30s.
Post-X-mas we REALLY need some Horde mode together. I'm tired of ppl dropping after wave 3 or 4.

Mrs. SW824 and I beat Sonic Generations last night, and despite the final boss being extremely lame, it's a good Sonic game overall. Portable wise, I'm about halfway through MMX: Maverick Hunters.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:23 AM   #4360
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Started God of War III tonight. AWESOME. I hadn't played a God of War game since last summer. I needed that! Haha. Played about 3 hours almost. I'm wondering if I can beat it before I go on vacation next week... Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post
Post-X-mas we REALLY need some Horde mode together. I'm tired of ppl dropping after wave 3 or 4.
Sure thing!

Unread 12-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #4361
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Started God of War III tonight. AWESOME. I hadn't played a God of War game since last summer. I needed that! Haha. Played about 3 hours almost. I'm wondering if I can beat it before I go on vacation next week... Hmm.

Sure thing!
YAY! Btw, have you played the PSP God of War games? If not, do so, they're solid.

The Humble Indie Bundle 4 dropped, and while Shank nor Super Meat Boy aren't working, the rest are. Bit Trip Runner is dope, Cave Story + is delightful, and why I've owned it for months. Jamestown is one of the BEST Shumps I've played recently. Well one not made by Cave or Treasure.

Unread 12-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #4362
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Quote:
YAY! Btw, have you played the PSP God of War games? If not, do so, they're solid.
A PS3 HD collection was released recently, by the way.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #4363
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Oh, I never did mention I beat LittleBigPlanet 2. Well I did! I'm quite proud, because I never did beat the first one. Heh. Those games get pretty darn tough near the end!

Quote:
Yeah, my first God of War game was actually Chains of Olympus on PSP! I liked it a lot. I didn't start playing the main series until I got my PS3. I think I may go with the HD PS3 collection to play Ghosts of Sparta though, as I seem to barely ever get through games on my PSP these days. But I guess it'd be cheaper to do the PSP version anyway, since I already beat the first one. Hmm. Poor PSP.

Unread 12-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #4364
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
A PS3 HD collection was released recently, by the way.
Quote:
Oh, I never did mention I beat LittleBigPlanet 2. Well I did! I'm quite proud, because I never did beat the first one. Heh. Those games get pretty darn tough near the end!

Yeah, my first God of War game was actually Chains of Olympus on PSP! I liked it a lot. I didn't start playing the main series until I got my PS3. I think I may go with the HD PS3 collection to play Ghosts of Sparta though, as I seem to barely ever get through games on my PSP these days. But I guess it'd be cheaper to do the PSP version anyway, since I already beat the first one. Hmm. Poor PSP.
You can probably pay half or less for Ghosts of Sparta on los PSP then buying the HD collection. It's a shame that they don't offer the PSP HS remakes seperately on PSN. Or they do and I'm too hungover from the holiday office party to google.

Unread 12-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #4365
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

recently i played the first doom for the first time, its so fun