Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #4891
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
You guys hated RDR? Huge frowny face, dude. I thought that game was strangely fun. A different type of fun than something like Bayonetta, sure, but fun nonetheless.
I have a ton of beef with Rockstar in general, as I've known a number of people who've worked for the company and been treating like complete shit once GTA blew up. The "LA Noir" lawsuits also back that claim up. Also I really feel that they're very much style and image over content, which is while I'll continue to prefer Saint's Row over GTA any given day.

As for RDR, REAL TALK: It's GTA in the west. Why technically and conceptally it was a sound game, it did nothing for me. Pacing was a big issue. 10 hours I wasn't hooked (aka the FF13 syndrome for many), which compared to ME2, I was super involved in the first 20 minutes.

Also there is a certainly irony of me supporting EA via Bioware and given Rockstar crap for treating their employees like shit, but I've never claimed I wasn't a hyprocrite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Hahahah! I was going to say "...because cowboys!" but I do like the whole Western genre, not just the cowboys. I also like their horses.
Can't speak for Mes, but I love Westerns as a genre. My beef has been listed above. Also horsies in gaming are generally awesome, as proof for my love of certain Zelda titles, Shadow of the Colossus and Barbie's Horse Adventure 2. WAIT WHAT?

Wrapping up Rock Band Unplugged, put a whopping 30 minutes in AC this week, and beefed up my squad in Avengers Alliance. This game is like crack. BRIGHTSIDE, MY AWESOME TEAM OF CYCLOPS, IRON FIST, AND STERLING ARCHER, AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D.!!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #4892
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Here's my general experience in RDR:

Load game, mount horse, ride for about 5-10 minutes through a completely barren desert which, while impressively beautiful, has no interactive qualities at all, arrive at a mission point, engage in some well written, generally well voice acted cutscenes, complete one of 7 cookie cutter mission structures, complete mission, get left in the middle of nowhere, start riding towards next mission marker, have random mission pop on me out of no where, die instantly, respawn back in the middle of nowhere.

It's annoying. What makes GTA and Skyrim and the Witcher interesting is that, one your way to your objective, there are things of note and interest along the way which makes the experience of the journey just as interesting, if not more so, than the destination. RDR has none of that.

That and there are no likable characters in RDR. in GTA4, even though he's annoying, you like Roman. Vlad was a fun villian. I was genuinely excited everytime there was a new Brucie mission because he is so off the wall, it's hilarious to see him interact with this already crazy pseudoworld GTA4 creates, while he is clearly off on some crazy delusional state of his own. No one in RDR comes close to these personalities. Instead we get characters who are "Quirky" in the most alarming way possible. Instead of Playboy X and Dwayne, we get the necrophiliac and the drunk Irishman. Hooray. The only character I liked thus far is Bonnie, and I find it a little interesting that the only strong female protagonist character in the game ends her arch with

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
her being beaten, presumably gang raped, and left for dead hanging from a lynching pole

Granted, (for example) Skyrim doesn't have these sort of type A personalities either, but in that game, every time you pop over the next hill, it feels like you're going to see something completely different. RDR, it's bandits. Or later, banditos. And eventually bears. But I was never surprised by anything.

Super boring.

Also @Starwind, looks like we both lost the bet. Good thing I didn't put money down on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPWolf View Post
There's way too much hype on graphics over actual quality these days. I would much rather play a game with subpar graphics but an amazing plot. Basically why I haven't gotten Skyrim, sure it looks beautiful but there's so many bugs with it.

Anyway I started up on FFXIII-2 again, hoping that I have enough free time this week to actually get somewhere in it.
...you should probably just play Skyrim. As amazing as that game is, it's no triumph of graphical achievement (unless you're playing on PC)

Anyway, I finished FEZ up. That game was great and made me feel smart. You should all play it.

Skullgirls is...Amazingly well put together. But whoever said that it would teach people who to play fighting games was dead wrong. More than any other fighting game I've played in an online facet, Skullgirls has the most savage competition I have ever seen. It makes the higher tier echelons in Marvel look paltry. It has a lot of problems with certain assists as well and Double is probably too strong. Still though, amazingly well put together. It puts SFxT to shame easily.

Played Warp....I could have gone without playing warp.

And I'm currently playing Swords and Sworcery: Superbrothers EP on steam. It's interesting thus far, I'm taking it slow on that one.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~

Last edited by Mesoian : 05-11-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #4893
Kenmichi
Death by photograph.

I liked Bonnie Macfarlane, she was a well scripted character that you WANTED to like. Her innocence but respected mix of boyish and feminine traits made her seemingly an ideal character for John to fall for, except that he is a very dedicated family man.
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #4894
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
Also @Starwind, looks like we both lost the bet. Good thing I didn't put money down on it.
Agreed, also I am the worst at gambling.

Finally threw in some diversity into what I've been playing this weekend and put some time into the eXceed Collection, which is pretty much a doujin shump mashing together Death Smiles and Ikurga, although NO WHERE nearly as polished as either of those titles. Still 3 shumps for $10 isn't too bad, I just wish my arcade stick wasn't as dead as a Kennedy.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #4895
Ororo Howlett
When in doubt, FRAG OUT!

The only thing I could suggest for those that didn't like RDR is Undead Nightmare. It takes the whole zombie thing in a direction not seen in most horror games. Also, unicorn!
00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000
01100001 00100000 01101100 01101001
01100101 00101110
Ororo Howlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #4896
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ororo Howlett View Post
The only thing I could suggest for those that didn't like RDR is Undead Nightmare. It takes the whole zombie thing in a direction not seen in most horror games. Also, unicorn!
I agree. I didn't really like Red Dead Redemption either, but I blasted through Undead Nightmare because I was having so much fun. I found it to be a nice twist in the zombie survival genre of video games.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #4897
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

8 and a half hours on Diablo 3 so far, just hit act 3.

Amazing game, the bosses are all epic.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #4898
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

SuperBrothers EP: Sword and Sworcery.

I don't know why I'm listening to it when it tells me to take a break, but I do.

Buy this game people. Buy this fucking game.

Unread 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #4899
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. Game is dumb as a rock, but that's alright. Not looking for high art here, just looking to cut up some Orcs. AND I DO SO, IN SPADES!

Unread 05-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #4900
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Man...after today's quicklook...I might end up redboxing the battleship tie in movie this weekend. Surprisingly, almost disappointingly, competent.

Unread 05-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #4901
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

We're on act 2 hell now, it is already pretty hard, UGH.
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #4902
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Put some more into Space Marine. I'm really liking this game, despite the plot being paper thin and all the silly British accents.

Also doing my damnedest to resist the urge to play through the entire Mass Effect series...again...

Unread 05-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #4903
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Fez. It's delightful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post
Also doing my damnedest to resist the urge to play through the entire Mass Effect series...again...
I know that feel, bro.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #4904
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I know that feel, bro.
A friend of my turned 28 last week so a bunch of us bought her a ton of games for the aging (AC2, Bayo, ME2). She started playing ME2 first, and her twitter feed has been her screaming about how much she hearts Garrus and what have you. That is my source of temptation.

Put some more time in Space Marine, and am now playing "Thor" for the DS, which is made by Way Forward, so it's actually a fun game. The company has yet to let me down, and god, am I ever excited for the Adventure Time games they're putting out this fall.

Unread 05-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #4905
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Act 2 of INFERNO now, one word.

AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGHH