Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #5161
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
You know, just the other night I was sitting here like "Did I ever finish Flower?" and was considering playing it again to see if I did the last stage or not. This kinda bums me out!
The 5th level and the 6th level are pretty bad because they require precision. Flow was fine, as 6 axis can just manipulate things on a very basic level. But with flower, I kept instinctively moving my thumbs back to the sticks in order to get a handle on the controls.

So the cable was out last night, so I went back Botanicula. I really love that game but it reminds me how awkward I find adventure games in general. But that game has so much style, you want to see everything it has for you. I also have Machinarum that I haven't touched yet, so that'll happen at some point.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #5162
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
Flower doesn't hold up. It's a beautiful game with a pretty good message, but the controls are so clunky and annoying that it gets in the way of everything they're setting out to show.
Dude. I thought it was just me. I was terrible at it. I spent most of what was supposed to be a beautiful and lyrical game cursing like a sailor. I actually found the "message" sort of annoying. I mean, I can hug a tree with the best of them - I drive a Prius fer cryin' out loud - but I just felt like I was being hit over the head with it. I don't play video games to be preached at.

Quote:
The level of advancement between Flower and Journey is staggering.
Agreed.

Quote:
I also have Machinarum that I haven't touched yet, so that'll happen at some point.
I thought it was kind of meh. I liked the way it looked, but the puzzles weren't that interesting. I played it on an iPad and the responsiveness was not great. More than once I'd check the hint only to find that I was trying to do the right thing but not hitting the exact spot. :/
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #5163
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Wrapped up about 70% of Saints Row the 3rd, including getting one of the endings. Really loved the game, as more Triple AAA games could stand to be self-aware/over the top. I'm really hoping that 2013(?)'s 4th Saint Row game continues in what I've dubbed it "Crank direction". The series has definetly come a long way from it's GTA-clone roots.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #5164
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

So...brow furrowing video games.

Double Dragon Neon is free for playstation plus members, so I picked that up. I think it is a poor product that is well below what WayForward is capable of. The hit detection is terrible, the movement speed is sugglish and poor, which wouldn't be a problem if the enemies weren't so nimble, the combo systems are odd and have a seemingly random invincible frame element, and weapons give normal enemies seconds of armor rather than 1 hit, but they don't give you that same armor. It's a mess, which is a shame, because it's funny. The jokes are good, it rolls around in double dragon humor (Jimmy and Bimmy), the art is nice, though it repeats almost immediately, the sound is pretty great with vocal remixes for each stage and the ability to unlock new music as you go...so much time was spent on the presentation for the game that the fact that the gameplay is so bad sticks out just that much more.

DO NOT BUY THAT GAME. It is poor.

And I got Jet Set Radio HD. Think back 10 years ago. Remember Jet Set Radio? No, stop. REALLY REMEMBER. Because it's Jet Set Radio in 16x9 720p wide screen with a manual camera. Nothing more. If you're down for that, buy this game IMMEDIATELY. If you're expecting them to have done a whole lot to it, this isn't for you. I LOVE Jet Set Radio, but man, 10 years ago, we didn't quite have this whole 3D thing figured out yet. We've come a long way since then, and it shows. I still love it, and it's a great museum piece. But parts of that game make me sad.

Unread 09-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #5165
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
So...brow furrowing video games.

Double Dragon Neon is free for playstation plus members, so I picked that up. I think it is a poor product that is well below what WayForward is capable of. The hit detection is terrible, the movement speed is sugglish and poor, which wouldn't be a problem if the enemies weren't so nimble, the combo systems are odd and have a seemingly random invincible frame element, and weapons give normal enemies seconds of armor rather than 1 hit, but they don't give you that same armor. It's a mess, which is a shame, because it's funny. The jokes are good, it rolls around in double dragon humor (Jimmy and Bimmy), the art is nice, though it repeats almost immediately, the sound is pretty great with vocal remixes for each stage and the ability to unlock new music as you go...so much time was spent on the presentation for the game that the fact that the gameplay is so bad sticks out just that much more.

DO NOT BUY THAT GAME. It is poor.

And I got Jet Set Radio HD. Think back 10 years ago. Remember Jet Set Radio? No, stop. REALLY REMEMBER. Because it's Jet Set Radio in 16x9 720p wide screen with a manual camera. Nothing more. If you're down for that, buy this game IMMEDIATELY. If you're expecting them to have done a whole lot to it, this isn't for you. I LOVE Jet Set Radio, but man, 10 years ago, we didn't quite have this whole 3D thing figured out yet. We've come a long way since then, and it shows. I still love it, and it's a great museum piece. But parts of that game make me sad.
I've been hearing a lot of negative thing about DDN, which is a shame as Wayforward usually does good stuff. I imagine most of their team is working on the Adventure Time game, which will probably be more profitable/ a better game over all .Oh well can't win them all.

JSR HD sounds fine to me, but I'm probably going to have to wait until the holidays to pick it up. Borderlands 2 drops next week, and I want to try and beat Mortal Kombat's story mode before I tackle it.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #5166
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

I'm waiting for the XBLA version of Jet Set Radio. I seriously thought it came out last month for some reason and loaded up my account with points to buy it, and was very disappointed that it wasn't out for another month.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #5167
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I had way too much fun with the new Skyrim DLC, Hearthfire, the other night. It's like a Sims/Fable/Skyrim mash-up and it became my new guilty pleasure for a few hours. Too bad it's glitchy. Told my steward to decorate the kitchen, nothing. Told my steward to decorate the main hall, "you can't afford it." Uh, 1000 gold to decorate it and I have over 200k? I think not. Also, one of the jarls isn't giving me the dialogue to buy land for the third house I can have. BOO. I want ALL THE HOUSES.

OH YEAH and my boyfriend and I started playing LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean. It's your usual mindless silly LEGO game fun. It's a good fun co-op game for us, though I'm still glad I waited until I could get it for under $20.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #5168
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Finally got my PS3 back from my friend, so I've been playing a lot of the games I've been buying during the time I lent him the system.

I'm loving Persona 4 Arena's story. I just got the "To be continued" endings for Yu and Chie. And I'm actually quite surprised my eyes started tearing up near the end of Chie's story. I guess I can really relate to her desire to protect her friends. Now actual game-wise, after watching some tutorial videos, I'm getting better at comboing regular attacks and Persona attacks now.

On my second play-through of Uncharted 3. I really wish the aiming could be fixed in single-player. I wonder if Naughty Dog can fix it if they release a game of the year edition.

Also playing Transformers: Fall of Cybertron's single-player. I'm finding it a lot of fun. Each character certainly feels unique when you play them. And I chuckled when I noticed that Nolan North voices Cliffjumper, and you control him during a mission where you explore an ancient ruin. Complete with neck-snapping sneak attacks too!
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #5169
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

So I finished Jet Set Radio HD last night. I still adore that game, but...it's an interesting glimpse in how, in 10 years, we've sort of nailed down this whole 3D camera business and back then, it was pretty touch and go.

Unread 09-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #5170
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Trying out Tales of Graces f and it's retarded already. Had to go through Persona 4 Arena's story mode to wash the bad taste out of my mouth.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #5171
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Still Guild Wars 2, sometimes. Got to level 10 at least.

Boyfriend & I went back to our long forgotten start of a Left 4 Dead campaign and finished it. Yeah, the original. We're gonna play through all of the campaigns and then play Left 4 Dead 2... eventually!

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #5172
Kairi's-Fantasy
Artsy Tech

Officially finished 358/2 Days! Oh, the tears.
Time to start TWEWY!

Planned for 2014:
Ruby Rose (RWBY)
Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!)
Miku Hatsune (Vocaloid/World is Mine)
Kyoko Sakura (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica/Casual)
Ellie (The Last of Us)
Kairi's-Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #5173
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Playing Mark of the Ninja. The Shank Team finally have it right, it's a ton of fun.

Unread 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #5174
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

Hanging out with my friend and just finished playing some Devil May Cry HD Collection.

Where I'm Heading Next!
Vox Reax Tour (August 16)
Miku Expo (October 11)

Wearing at Vox Reax Tour
Hanji Zoe (Attack on Titan)
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #5175
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Wow. At the end of Mark Of The Ninja, I put the controller down, stood up an applauded. That was FANTASTIC! I'm really glad to see Klei Studios finally coming into their own after how messy Shank and Shank 2 were.