Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #5296
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

I didn't like The Walking Dead at first, but grew to like it. I've only played the first three episodes though, I heard they're going on sale later this month so I'm going to wait until then to get the last two. I'm still not really sure that I completely like the game, I'm just kind of interested in the story. One of my biggest issues with the game is that it's trying to be non-linear but it really isn't. There are points where you decide to save a certain character or take a certain action, and that character dies anyway, or the other characters force you to take the action you didn't want to take. Stuff like that. It feels like a linear game pretending to give you choices, but your choices barely affect anything. I feel like you just get different dialogue and continue along the same set path, to the point where I stopped caring about the choices. That, and the fact that I hate pretty much every character lol. Hopefully I haven't messed it up for the remaining two episodes by making weird choices though.

Maybe it's because I'm used to games like 999 and Virtue's Last Reward where you have to replay the game several times to see all the different outcomes? I don't know. I don't really see myself replaying The Walking Dead in the future. I do want to play the last two episodes though!
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #5297
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

I played through the Ni No Kuni demo last night. I really really like it and I think it's going to be a fantastic game, even if it's aiming a little young. But CHRIST, that is a terrible demo. Doesn't tell you how to do anything, doesn't explain how the combat system works, doesn't explain that you can use yourself to do combat rather than your pokemans...horrible. I think it's really gonna bite them in the ass because it sours the entire experience.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #5298
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
I played through the Ni No Kuni demo last night. I really really like it and I think it's going to be a fantastic game, even if it's aiming a little young. But CHRIST, that is a terrible demo. Doesn't tell you how to do anything, doesn't explain how the combat system works, doesn't explain that you can use yourself to do combat rather than your pokemans...horrible. I think it's really gonna bite them in the ass because it sours the entire experience.
IDK, I don't really mind if a demo just tosses you in. Otherwise all you get is boring tutorial stuff. I didn't take the time to figure out the battle system in detail, but I did manage to switch characters. I actually thought that the battle system seemed pretty interesting. I thought the character designs were really cute but I was underwhelmed by the environments. Also that Drippy guy and his pidgin English grated on me. And I have less and less patience for console games that aren't voiced. It definitely seems like a kid's games. And you know, that's fine. Some games should be geared towards young kids. And I'm not a snob about that kind of thing. I like a lot of stuff that is technically for little kids. But the demo didn't have a lot of appeal for me. Of course it is just a demo. But the game went from being something I'm looking forward to with anticipation to something I might pick up when the price comes down if I hear good things about it from other people.

Playing AC3. Enjoying it so far. It is more like an interactive movie than any other game I have played. But the visuals and voice acting are great. Climbing around on stuff is fun but I can't be arsed to do most of the stuff for 100% synchronization.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #5299
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Beat XCOM on Sunday. Loved it. Definitely want to do another playthrough, and eventually play some of the DLC.

I got some games for my birthday and Christmas (which are 3 days apart, so) which is always yay. I started Assassin's Creed III on my birthday. Enjoying a brand new setting for once, because I was getting kinda tired of Ezio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Climbing around on stuff is fun but I can't be arsed to do most of the stuff for 100% synchronization.
Dude, I usually say "f you!" to the full synch stuff because it's a chore. But last night during the hunting sequence early on when the main character's with his buddy, I went all out. I was like I WILL DO THIS and went out of my way to get 3 different animals, do the snare+bait thing, and do two air assassination kills on animals, hahaha. It was ridiculous because I kept not being able to find rabbits for a while for some reason. I don't know why I bothered, but it was fun. My boyfriend enjoyed watching me crush deer with my bare hands as I landed on them from above.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #5300
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Enjoying a brand new setting for once, because I was getting kinda tired of Ezio!
I like Conner. I mean, he doesn't have a ton of personality, but at least he's not a jerk.

Quote:
It was ridiculous because I kept not being able to find rabbits for a while for some reason.
That is exactly what happened to me! I tried baiting snares to catch them and the goddamn dear kept eating the bait. Assholes.

I think that chasing Ben Franklin's papers is undignified.
Unread 12-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #5301
AoiKuniedaRocks
Oga's #1 Fan

I'm currently playing Rune Factory 4. Working on my third save file for the most part.
Aoi Kunieda(Beelzebub)
AoiKuniedaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #5302
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Having a very medieval time between Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.
Unread 12-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #5303
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihander View Post
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.
I got a copy of this, sort of not really for Christmas, and will probably be playing it soon. Glad you're so into it!

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #5304
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
I got a copy of this, sort of not really for Christmas, and will probably be playing it soon. Glad you're so into it!
It is amazing. Bit of a learning curve, especially while fighting people online, but watching these two short tutorial videos before playing should help you avoid getting beasted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfpsoBX3EDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnRxtazljg

I'd personally recommend starting as Vanguard, or if you prefer armor over speed, Knight. Two most important things to remember are delaying the hits of your swings (by moving the mouse in the opposite direction of your swing) with large swords so your enemy parries too early, and aiming your jab attacks away from an enemy, then quickly turning to hit them in the face right before the hit. I also found jumping in front of an enemy and jabbing while aiming straight down to be effective, they barely see it coming and have an even harder time parrying it. (starting the jab right before you jump can make it even more difficult to for them to counter.) Learning to effectively feint can change the outcome of battles, too. Hope this helps. Lastly, people who play Archer in free-for-all mode are dicks, but if you rush them and zig-zag on your way to them, you have a good chance of killing them before they can even switch to their melee weapon.

Last edited by Zweihander : 12-27-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Zweihander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #5305
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

So I picked up Nier in a bargain bin sale.

It is fascinating in that it tries to do so many different things, sacrificing it's identity at mass, and does all of those things categorically terribly. It is a complete mess of a game which, at it's core, is interesting enough to make you want to see every last piece of it.

Games like Nier are why I wish people would write books about the development process of video games, because there must be an amazing story behind all of this.

But man...man...this was one of the most fundamentally hobbled games I have ever played.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #5306
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Every Layton game I can get my hands on.

I am so addicted it is not even funny. .___.

*flees to go Layton some more*

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #5307
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihander View Post
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
I loved the DLC. It's clear that From really really wants people co-oping. The new bosses aren't too bad with a phantom, but on your own? You'll be happy to know that Dark Souls 2 is going back to server-based multiplayer instead of p2p.

Quote:
It is fascinating in that it tries to do so many different things, sacrificing it's identity at mass, and does all of those things categorically terribly. It is a complete mess of a game which, at it's core, is interesting enough to make you want to see every last piece of it.
I can't really disagree with any of this - but I still love the game! I thought that all the obvious style changes were an attempted meta-clue

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
the whole the game-within-a-game thing

To me a lot of it felt like a high-budget concept produced on a low budget.

Quote:
Games like Nier are why I wish people would write books about the development process of video games, because there must be an amazing story behind all of this.
Oddly enough, I was just thinking this about AC3. Because it's hard for me to understand how with so much obvious talent involved in making the game that no one seemed to have any idea how to put together a story let alone integrate it with the gameplay in any meaningful way. Finished it last night, and my overall reaction was "meh". It had some fun and interesting parts, a lot of boring parts (that I didn't bother with) but none of it was very compelling. Which is too bad. It could have been a lot better game if the pieces had been put together differently.
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #5308
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Persona 4 Arena-This game would be infinetly much better if story mode had about 1/2 the dialogue it does. It's more a visual novel at times than a fighter.

Hotline Miami- Slick, brutal and a ton of fun. All of the love.

Mark of the Ninja- Beautiful. One of the best games I've played in awhile.

Saints Row the 3rd-doing some co-op via Steam, which has been rad.

Kid Icarus-Improves on additional playthroughs. Solid game overall.

New Mario Bros 2- I ended up beating it in like 5-6 hours. Felt like an expansion pack.

Kingdom Hearts Derp Derp Derp- Man this was a bad idea.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #5309
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
You'll be happy to know that Dark Souls 2 is going back to server-based multiplayer instead of p2p.
Best news I've heard in a while, thanks.

Quote:
So I picked up Nier in a bargain bin sale.

But man...man...this was one of the most fundamentally hobbled games I have ever played.
Give it some more time. Did you get Ending A yet? You'll be pleased to know that New Game+ skips all of the boring shit from the first several hours of the game, and adds enough new content to make it an entirely new story. Best New Game+ experience ever, IMO. My only complaints after completely clearing the game twice (Endings A through D, twice) are the aforementioned padding for the first several hours after the prologue, and the fishing minigame. I'd have to respectfully disagree on the game's multi-genre elements (bullet hell, top-down shooting rooms, side-scrolling bits, block puzzles, text adventures, Resident Evil type mansion, and boar drifting), as I believe they were handled quite well. Just... that fishing minigame was bullshit, and that part of the story could have been skipped entirely. Regatdless, even as a guy who believes in the "gameplay is more important than anything" rule, Nier still won me over and will probably always be my favorite game, solely for the story, character development, soundtrack, and FEELS.

Also, if you want a book about Nier's development process, as well as all the story tidbits they couldn't fit into the game itself (the correlation to Drakengard, background information on all the characters, etc), read this after you've gotten all the endings. (the translated Grimoire NieR) Excellent read.

Last edited by Zweihander : 01-02-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Zweihander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #5310
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

I picked up a few games on the Xbox Countdown sale thingy. I've been playing Mark of the Ninja lately, and loving it! It almost reminds me of when I was younger I used to really be into the Tenchu games, but this is a 2D, almost Metroidvania-esque but not really, platformer that has a lot of cool features such as letting you know how much noise you're making and how far that sound travels. And it rewards you for doing things such as passing by a guard unnoticed, distracting a guard by, for instance, making noise, and doing little tasks throughout the level. It also almost reminds me of the prison section of Ghost Trick in a way, I guess in that you're trying to pass by unnoticed, you manipulate objects such as lights and switches to distract guards, and it's kind of a puzzle trying to figure out how to reach your goal without being seen. It's also visually beautiful. I'm really loving this game.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote