Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #5311
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

I somehow deleted my Persona 4 Golden save file, so I had to start the game over again. But it's not so bad since I missed one of the books in order to get the Compulsive Reader trophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Persona 4 Arena-This game would be infinetly much better if story mode had about 1/2 the dialogue it does. It's more a visual novel at times than a fighter.
But that's the whole point of Story Mode! Arcade mode gets to the jist of the story. and every character is also unlocked right from the beginning so you can jump straight into versus and online play.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #5312
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT0918 View Post

But that's the whole point of Story Mode! Arcade mode gets to the jist of the story. and every character is also unlocked right from the beginning so you can jump straight into versus and online play.
Yeah, but at least half of it is recycled dialogue from other character's stories. I'm grateful for arcade mode, b/C some of those stories are straight up BULLLSSSHHITTTTTT!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #5313
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihander View Post
My only complaints after completely clearing the game twice (Endings A through D, twice) are the aforementioned padding for the first several hours after the prologue, and the fishing minigame. I'd have to respectfully disagree on the game's multi-genre elements (bullet hell, top-down shooting rooms, side-scrolling bits, block puzzles, text adventures, Resident Evil type mansion, and boar drifting), as I believe they were handled quite well. Just... that fishing minigame was bullshit, and that part of the story could have been skipped entirely.
My complaints: the fighting was ordinary, the magic was completely broken, the difficulty scaling was bad (by the second half, normal was too easy, but hard was impossible for me), too many fetch quests, it was ugly as sin (what the hell was up with having the weird red balls?)

What I loved: the knowing references to other games, the puzzles, the non-fetch quests, Weiss, Emil, Kaine, riding the boars, the best video game soundtrack ever.

Fishing was fine - as long as you ignored the in game instructions. Whenever the game got too depressing I'd go fish or garden to take my mind off of things.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #5314
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Give it some more time. Did you get Ending A yet? You'll be pleased to know that New Game+ skips all of the boring shit from the first several hours of the game, and adds enough new content to make it an entirely new story. Best New Game+ experience ever, IMO. My only complaints after completely clearing the game twice (Endings A through D, twice) are the aforementioned padding for the first several hours after the prologue, and the fishing minigame. I'd have to respectfully disagree on the game's multi-genre elements (bullet hell, top-down shooting rooms, side-scrolling bits, block puzzles, text adventures, Resident Evil type mansion, and boar drifting), as I believe they were handled quite well. Just... that fishing minigame was bullshit, and that part of the story could have been skipped entirely. Regatdless, even as a guy who believes in the "gameplay is more important than anything" rule, Nier still won me over and will probably always be my favorite game, solely for the story, character development, soundtrack, and FEELS.

Also, if you want a book about Nier's development process, as well as all the story tidbits they couldn't fit into the game itself (the correlation to Drakengard, background information on all the characters, etc), read this after you've gotten all the endings. (the translated Grimoire NieR) Excellent read.
I got all the endings. Neir would have had a much stronger narrative if everything from ending A, C, and the first half of B were one ending. The second half of B is silly, ending D is stupid. I still have major reservations about the story en masse (

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
mostly about why Devola and Popola are villians suddenly without warning just cuz?
) but, for the most part, didn't mind any of the major narrative beats the first time through. I found that the stuff added in endings B-D with the Shades cheapens a lot of what you do and brings up more questions rather than triggering the feels. Neir, more than any game I can think of in recent memory, is a game that really needs to stop being subtle about what's going on at the end and needs to infodump what the hell is going on.

And did the game ever reference

Kaine's hermaphroditic body? I knew about it well before the game came out as the ad campaign pretty much spoiled the entire thing, but I don't remember it being referenced once. It's more about Kaine's shade half for most of the game, and even in the text story it tells you after you beat the game, they just reference her as "the freak" and "her unnatural body".

Most of the game-in-game stuff was just marred for me because regular stuff like the camera isn't adjusted for it. In the

Metal Gear section, I had a hell of a time judging the distance between myself and the enemy because I couldn't efficiently change how you see the area due to the 3/4th's view.

I didn't hate it, It left a great first impression, but the more you dig into the narrative and alternate missions and the parts of the story that aren't initially told, it becomes more and more lackluster and it's seams show more and more until it eventually starts leaving a bad taste in your mouth.

Quote:
Yeah, but at least half of it is recycled dialogue from other character's stories. I'm grateful for arcade mode, b/C some of those stories are straight up BULLLSSSHHITTTTTT!
Kanji's story is great. And Labyris' story hit me square in the feels.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~

Last edited by Mesoian : 01-03-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #5315
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Quote:
Most of the recycled dialogue is only in the beginning and end, so I simply fast forward those parts.

As for the bullshit stories, I have to agree on that for Akihiko's. Along with his ridiculous outfit (Mitsuru's too), I lost any respect I might've had for him in Persona 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
Kanji's story is great. And Labyris' story hit me square in the feels.
Same here for Labrys's story. Her story would be the best reason to go through story mode. And you can easily unlock her story by finishing one Persona 4 character's story and one Persona 3 character's story. Just keep in mind that there are no battles whatsoever in her story.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #5316
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
needs to infodump what the hell is going on.
https://docs.google.com/View?id=dgvmkf89_228fxgghgg3

Also,

Devola and Popola weren't "suddenly" villains. There were subtleties throughout the entire game, like how they arranged for replicant Nier to meet Weiss, collect the Sealed Verses, then for replicant Yonah to be abducted, then finally for daddy-o to find the keys to his original self's castle. Furthermore, they never aged, and really seemed like they were trying to hide something right before Nier left the village that final time. Technically, the replicant Nier you play as is the villain, and the Shadowlord, the twins, and Grimoire Noir are the last hopes for humankind to return. You slaughter them all, even after you're told the truth, and your "daughter" will die soon after the ending anyway (dat Black Scrawl) because the real Yonah was already relapsing when her replicant was created. There never was a way to save her, whether it be her replicant or her original gestalt form. The Shadowlord, the original Nier, was lied to. He waited 1300 years to take her out of stasis, meanwhile replicant Nier is whining about waiting five years. You essentially play as the biggest, most selfish dickhole in all of history.

Sometimes the truth can be a real bitch.

Last edited by Zweihander : 01-04-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Zweihander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #5317
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT0918 View Post
Same here for Labrys's story. Her story would be the best reason to go through story mode. And you can easily unlock her story by finishing one Persona 4 character's story and one Persona 3 character's story. Just keep in mind that there are no battles whatsoever in her story.
<< No battles whatsover.

<< Fighting game.

WHUT?!?

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #5318
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Quote:
<< No battles whatsover.

<< Fighting game.

WHUT?!?
Correction, Labrys' story was one battle in it.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #5319
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Been replaying the shit out of NieR. I want to get back into Dark Souls, but... well... um...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yw0wHQx9A
Unread 01-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #5320
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Beat AC3 on Saturday, but I was playing some of the Homestead missions today because I really like the little story they make together.

I think I'm gonna go pop in The Walking Dead... Wish me luck!

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 04:54 AM   #5321
ULTIMATE KASUMI
I AM ULTIMATE!!

Been playing the crap out of Halo 4. Trying to rank up to 50 so I can get the only armor in the game that I like, the Rogue armor. But I'm now at 44 and simply bored to death of the lacking maps and playlists. Halo 4 pisses me off with all this lacking stuff. Why should we be lacking playlists? There's so many good gametypes in Halo, why can't we choose to play them now? Why aren't they selectible on day one? We're lacking Assualt, Territories, Action Sack games, forge'd maps, etc. Grifball and Team Snipers have both been up for only one weekend. It's really gay. There's simply no variety in this game. Most of all when you go into a Team Slayer playlist, you're only going to get standard Team Slayer. No choices for something like Team Slayer Pro or Team Shotguns. And where the F is Team Fiesta? That was tons of fun back in Halo 2.

In other news I bought Beautiful Katamari. I wanted to have fun with this game but I can't seem to. The King is a total asshole. I can't figure out what he wants out of me. He wants drinks to build Mercury, yet he wants it to be a certain size within a certain time limit. How am I supposed to do this? Sure I can roll up drinks but it won't be enough to make it as big of a ball as he wants. Then after finishing the level he just puts me down and tells me to roll better. I'm only on the fourth level, shouldn't this game be easier or more helpful in informing me how be a better player?

On the up side I also bought Raiden IV.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PurifiedKasumi

Originally joined in February 9, 2005 8:57 PM
ULTIMATE KASUMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #5322
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Replaying Fallout 3 and all it's expansions, then on to Far Cry 3, then onto Space Marine, Metro 2033, Darksiders 2, Dead Space, Saints Row 3, Red Faction, F.E.A.R. and it's expansions...

DAMN STEAM SALES!
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #5323
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
I want to get back into Dark Souls, but... well... um...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yw0wHQx9A
AHAHAHAHAH! That video is hilarious. It sounds like Randy Newman. But seriously, trying to use the Drake Sword in Anor Londo? BAD IDEA. Have you made it into the castle yet? Getting past the two archers was the one point in the game where I thought, "I'm not going to be able to do this." And my first time through, I turned-tail and went all the way back to Firelink to level up my pyromancy after Ornstein and Smough crushed me about 400 times. TBH though, I think that the game's difficulty peaks there. I didn't think that the second half was as hard. Except for the Four Kings. Fuck those guys.

Let me know if you want to co-op.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTIMATE KASUMI View Post
In other news I bought Beautiful Katamari. I wanted to have fun with this game but I can't seem to. The King is a total asshole. I can't figure out what he wants out of me. He wants drinks to build Mercury, yet he wants it to be a certain size within a certain time limit. How am I supposed to do this? Sure I can roll up drinks but it won't be enough to make it as big of a ball as he wants. Then after finishing the level he just puts me down and tells me to roll better. I'm only on the fourth level, shouldn't this game be easier or more helpful in informing me how be a better player?
Ah, but that is the beauty of Katamari - the mechanic is simple to learn but difficult to master. The only way to be a better player is to be a better player. Basically you have to find the right path so that you are continually rolling things up and not bouncing off of them. It also helps to have thumbs of steel. And, yeah, the King is a dick!
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #5324
ULTIMATE KASUMI
I AM ULTIMATE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Ah, but that is the beauty of Katamari - the mechanic is simple to learn but difficult to master. The only way to be a better player is to be a better player. Basically you have to find the right path so that you are continually rolling things up and not bouncing off of them. It also helps to have thumbs of steel. And, yeah, the King is a dick!
So this game has "paths"? I always thought it was just roll things up.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PurifiedKasumi

Originally joined in February 9, 2005 8:57 PM
ULTIMATE KASUMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #5325
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbite View Post
Replaying Fallout 3 and all it's expansions, then on to Far Cry 3, then onto Space Marine, Metro 2033, Darksiders 2, Dead Space, Saints Row 3, Red Faction, F.E.A.R. and it's expansions...

DAMN STEAM SALES!
Know that feel all too well bro.

So let's see:
-PC- Still Mark of the Ninja and Hotline Miami
-Console-Collecting dust until Anarchy Reigns drops tomorrow.
-Handheld- Bit Trip Saga. BRUTAL, but oh so much fun.
-MAGfest-A ton of Cards Againist Humanity, a bunch of cabinet arcade games like some Cave Shumps, various light gun games, and Aliens vs. Predator.