Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #5326
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTIMATE KASUMI View Post
I always thought it was just roll things up.
Well, yes and no. The game mechnanic is just roll things up. But if you want your Katamari to be good enough for the King then you have to find the optimum order to pick up things so that you get large fast enough (or pick up enough of whatever type of item he wants). As well as aiming for stuff that you can pick up right away and not bounce off of, you also want to be continually picking up items because if you go too long without something sticking to you, you start to slow down. And if you want a particular item, you may have to make sure that you get it before you get too big, because then some of the smaller items disappear.

-------

Finished Bastion. Unpopular opinion - I didn't like it.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #5327
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Finished Bastion. Unpopular opinion - I didn't like it.
BOO! ::Throws popcorns::

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #5328
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
BOO! ::Throws popcorns::
XD

I liked some things about it. It looked amazing. The music was wonderful. I loved how the story was told. I just hated the story.

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
Rucks was an amoral monster and I hated being his pawn. I hated that the game made me kill Ura. The final straw was when I tried to turn in my Marshal's badge and the game made me keep it. I felt like the game let Rucks off easy. You never get to call him on his self-serving bullshit.

A more minor complaint was that Zia was my absolute least favorite type of female character. She had zero agency and served no purpose except to be The Pretty Girl. I find that far more irritating than any scantily clad female with giant boobs. But whatever.

The gameplay did grow on me, but it was nothing to write home about. Once you got more weapons and could make the game harder with the Gods, it got more interesting. But basically all there was to spend your money on was making yourself stronger which just made the game easier again. :/

But I give SuperGiant props. They did something different and did a lot of it well. I'd check out future games from them.
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #5329
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
XD

I liked some things about it. It looked amazing. The music was wonderful. I loved how the story was told. I just hated the story.

Rucks was an amoral monster and I hated being his pawn. I hated that the game made me kill Ura. The final straw was when I tried to turn in my Marshal's badge and the game made me keep it. I felt like the game let Rucks off easy. You never get to call him on his self-serving bullshit.

A more minor complaint was that Zia was my absolute least favorite type of female character. She had zero agency and served no purpose except to be The Pretty Girl. I find that far more irritating than any scantily clad female with giant boobs. But whatever.

The gameplay did grow on me, but it was nothing to write home about. Once you got more weapons and could make the game harder with the Gods, it got more interesting. But basically all there was to spend your money on was making yourself stronger which just made the game easier again. :/

But I give SuperGiant props. They did something different and did a lot of it well. I'd check out future games from them.
Query: I respect your opinion, but I do want to know which ending you choose, unless you did beat the game twice. Curious and such.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #5330
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Query: I respect your opinion, but I do want to know which ending you choose, unless you did beat the game twice. Curious and such.

I undid The Calamity. There was no way in hell that I was going to stick around with Rucks any longer than I had to. And, yeah, maybe it would just happen again, but maybe it wouldn't. It really irritated me that at the end he says something like, "Will we be able to remember each other? I don't see how we couldn't." XP

I did start a second playthrough thinking, "You know, maybe I was missing something," but I just kept noticing more things that solidified my original feelings and the gameplay isn't interesting enough to me to warrant finishing it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's a bad game. I think it's a very good game. I just didn't like it.
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #5331
GunnJaxx

Busted out the PSP and started playing MH3P again, forgot how amazing this game was for PSP... @_@!! Anyone else still give it a go from time to time?
GunnJaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #5332
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:

I undid The Calamity. There was no way in hell that I was going to stick around with Rucks any longer than I had to. And, yeah, maybe it would just happen again, but maybe it wouldn't. It really irritated me that at the end he says something like, "Will we be able to remember each other? I don't see how we couldn't." XP

I did start a second playthrough thinking, "You know, maybe I was missing something," but I just kept noticing more things that solidified my original feelings and the gameplay isn't interesting enough to me to warrant finishing it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's a bad game. I think it's a very good game. I just didn't like it.
Huh. You actually went with the "Bad" ending. Interesting., but I doubt a 2nd playthrough would do much for ya in terms of improvement.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis

Last edited by TheAnarCHris : 01-07-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Unread 01-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #5333
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Huh. You actually went with the "Bad" ending. Interesting., but I doubt a 2nd playthrough would do much for ya in terms of improvement.

The only thing that would have improved the experience for me was if at the end The Kid had confronted Rucks about the extent of his involvement in planning the genocide of the Ura and then told him to get fucked. Rucks seems to know an awful lot about the cause of The Calamity but basically whitewashes Caelondia's culpability. If they were supposedly at peace with the Ura how exactly did the device get set off? Inquiring minds want to know!
Unread 01-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #5334
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:

The only thing that would have improved the experience for me was if at the end The Kid had confronted Rucks about the extent of his involvement in planning the genocide of the Ura and then told him to get fucked. Rucks seems to know an awful lot about the cause of The Calamity but basically whitewashes Caelondia's culpability. If they were supposedly at peace with the Ura how exactly did the device get set off? Inquiring minds want to know!
http://bastion.wikia.com/wiki/Rucks

Spoilers up in here, up in here, but some fun speculation as well.

Unread 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #5335
ULTIMATE KASUMI
I AM ULTIMATE!!

Quote:
because then some of the smaller items disappear.
wat
http://www.youtube.com/user/PurifiedKasumi

Originally joined in February 9, 2005 8:57 PM
ULTIMATE KASUMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #5336
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

It doesn't answer my question. There's also the problem that

Rucks is an Unreliable Narrator. So it's hard to know how much you can believe of what he says, or hints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTIMATE KASUMI View Post
wat
Well, because of the resolution. When you get really huge and are picking up big things, they can't show the earlier, smaller items. This is especially irritating if you are trying to get all the presents. Usually there is a pretty small size window between when you are able to pick them up and when they disappear. Very frustrating!

Last edited by The Hag : 01-07-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Unread 01-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #5337
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Theatrhythm and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, all up in dis bish. Considering getting back into Dark Souls tonight, I'll give my current character a few more chances before I just say "fuck it" and roll up a new one entirely. I have a Pyromancer with absolutely useless stats. (and Pyromancy got nerfed hard right after the game came out, which fucked my build over even worse.) Considering just making a Bandit and pouring levels into STR, DEX, VIT, and END, then proceed to play it like a man.

Quote:
Have you made it into the castle yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdwwQr9x7XU I can't wait to experience the wonderful joys that await me inside Anor Lando, though. :'D
Quote:
Ornstein and Smough crushed me about 400 times.
I haven't even made it to Pikachu and Snorlax yet, but I'm terrified from everything I've seen of them.
Quote:
Let me know if you want to co-op.
Thanks, I may have to take you up on that offer when I finally reach Farley and Spade. Man, screw Anal Rondo.

Last edited by Zweihander : 01-08-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Zweihander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #5338
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihander View Post
Considering just making a Bandit and pouring levels into STR, DEX, VIT, and END, then proceed to play it like a man.
I started my first game as a sorceror and abandoned it half way through. The Bandit starts with pretty good equipment. And really, the key to this game is to level up your equipment right away. I don't even bother with Capra until I have a +5 weapon and shield. I always start with the Master Key so that I can 1. Skip the hell out of upper Blighttown. Fuck that place. 2. Farm slugs in the swamp. My advice? Level up STR and DEX a couple of times until you can use decent equipment. (I like the Halberds and the Claymore. The heavier weapons are way too slow for me.) One or two attunement slots are nice, but not necessary. Then put everything else into VIT and END. IMO, DaS is much harder as a Sorceror than DeS was. A good crossbow works better for me than Soul Arrow.

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdwwQr9x7XU I can't wait to experience the wonderful joys that await me inside Anor Lando, though. :'D
I haven't even made it to Pikachu and Snorlax yet, but I'm terrified from everything I've seen of them.
LOL at the links! Have you seen this one?

My strategy for getting in is equip something stabby - spear, halberd, claymore (R2) - run the hell past everyone ("Keep on holding B" or O in my case), hide behind the pillar, heal, pop a green stamina plant, wait for them to stop shooting, jog (don't sprint - conserve stamina) up the buttress, at the ledge ignore the guy to the left, roll twice to the right, come up behind your shield stabbing, hopefully knock the archer off the ledge before he knocks you off. Works like a charm. About 20% of the time! XD There's also the super cheap method of

bring a decent bow, stand about 1/3 of the way up the first buttress past the last gargoyles, before the pillar. The arrows won't hit you. Shoot the archers with poison arrows. Wait for them to die.
Mosey into Anor Londo at your leisure. Hey, I'm not above it.

Quote:
Thanks, I may have to take you up on that offer when I finally reach Farley and Spade. Man, screw Anal Rondo.
I did finally beat them by myself, but man it was a chore. Now I just summon help. Really, co-op is Dark Souls Easy Mode.
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #5339
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Be a real man and speedrun Dark Souls.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #5340
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
Eh, I don't see the point of speedruns for an open world game. Besides, real men have endurance, not speed.