Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #5536
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
The crowd DID seem younger! Didn't see the kids w/ signs, but yes, most of the cosplayers I saw were ladies, mostly of the Borderland, Mass Effect and LoL flavors. Good stuff for the most part, I did roll my eyes at the occasional HAMSUCK cosplayer though.
I also heard chanting a couple of times and could have done without the beach balls while waiting in line for it to open on Friday. But it was still light years better than the average anime con. I saw plenty of dude cosplay - Mass Effect, Metal Gear, AC. Lots of AC. Another thing I saw more of was little kids (under 10) with parents. I wouldn't bring a kid that young, just because of the crowd, but whatever. Worst father of the year award to the guy whose 8-year old daughter was dressed as Juliet from Lollipop Chainsaw. Seriously dude. WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Also if I was dressed as a terrible Resident Evil game or in a fancy pants purple and black outfit then yeah it was me. A shame, I would have not mind catching up for a few minutes!
Hmmmm....don't think it was you then. Hopefully next year on PAX weekend I will 1. not be out of town visiting someone else, 2. not have someone else in town visiting me. Speaking of next year, I don't think there's an official announcement, but the BCEC website has Reed Events/PAX listed as April 11-13, 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
I've heard mixed things about "Remember Me", which is a shame. Capcom is taking a risk on a new IP that will probably tank. Which panels did you hit up? The Tomb Raider (complete with all female Square-Edios employees) panel was EXCELLENT, spoiler-free, and it was really interesting to hear them talk about them being accused of ruining a character and promoting rape culture when barely anyone had even played the game.
Do you even see what you did there? XD

Remember Me - I loved the neo-Paris setting. I loved the fighting - I love games where I can dodge, you time your combos to prompts almost like a QTE but not, one combo gives you health - far superior to drinking a potion or whatever, IMO. The graphics aren't on a level of AC or Skyrim, but I thought they were at least as good as BioWare stuff. I was a little awkward navigating around the map - I died a couple of times from falling - but that's typical for me. The mutant enemies are clearly not mindless zombies - thank God. I've had enough of zombies. IDK - maybe it will suck, but I'm going to wait until I actually play it before I predict it will tank.

Tomb Raider - I hear it's really good and I'm looking forward to playing it. Not interested in the panel or any other AAA panels. I rarely have a problem with games. I often have a problem with the stupid shit said by people who make and distribute games. So I'm better off avoiding situations where that might occur. I also wouldn't be too impressed by Square having female employees on their panel. As someone who used to work in a male dominated field, it was a standing joke among us few women that we got trotted out for every dog and pony show. "SEE! SEE! We can do diversity!" Besides, if the women at Square had any complaints about the game they're not going to talk about it that panel. Nor should they. It would be totally unprofessional. If you like your job and you are asked to be a team player, you be a team player. Especially if you are a minority. I've been there.

Panels - I went to two on narrative in games and two on mental health and gaming. All four were really interesting, though I would have liked to see something more in depth, especially for the psych ones. But that's because I'm an egghead.

So overall, 9.5/10. Will definitely go again.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #5537
TheAnarCHris
Overrated
 
TheAnarCHris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 13,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I also heard chanting a couple of times and could have done without the beach balls while waiting in line for it to open on Friday. But it was still light years better than the average anime con. I saw plenty of dude cosplay - Mass Effect, Metal Gear, AC. Lots of AC. Another thing I saw more of was little kids (under 10) with parents. I wouldn't bring a kid that young, just because of the crowd, but whatever. Worst father of the year award to the guy whose 8-year old daughter was dressed as Juliet from Lollipop Chainsaw. Seriously dude. WTF?
I'm wary of my 30 yr old wife running around alone as Juliet because I dont trust nerds, so eff that guy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Hmmmm....don't think it was you then. Hopefully next year on PAX weekend I will 1. not be out of town visiting someone else, 2. not have someone else in town visiting me. Speaking of next year, I don't think there's an official announcement, but the BCEC website has Reed Events/PAX listed as April 11-13, 2014.
I've heard the same thing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Do you even see what you did there? XD

Remember Me - I loved the neo-Paris setting. I loved the fighting - I love games where I can dodge, you time your combos to prompts almost like a QTE but not, one combo gives you health - far superior to drinking a potion or whatever, IMO. The graphics aren't on a level of AC or Skyrim, but I thought they were at least as good as BioWare stuff. I was a little awkward navigating around the map - I died a couple of times from falling - but that's typical for me. The mutant enemies are clearly not mindless zombies - thank God. I've had enough of zombies. IDK - maybe it will suck, but I'm going to wait until I actually play it before I predict it will tank.

Tomb Raider - I hear it's really good and I'm looking forward to playing it. Not interested in the panel or any other AAA panels. I rarely have a problem with games. I often have a problem with the stupid shit said by people who make and distribute games. So I'm better off avoiding situations where that might occur. I also wouldn't be too impressed by Square having female employees on their panel. As someone who used to work in a male dominated field, it was a standing joke among us few women that we got trotted out for every dog and pony show. "SEE! SEE! We can do diversity!" Besides, if the women at Square had any complaints about the game they're not going to talk about it that panel. Nor should they. It would be totally unprofessional. If you like your job and you are asked to be a team player, you be a team player. Especially if you are a minority. I've been there.

Panels - I went to two on narrative in games and two on mental health and gaming. All four were really interesting, though I would have liked to see something more in depth, especially for the psych ones. But that's because I'm an egghead.

So overall, 9.5/10. Will definitely go again.
Re: "Remember Me"- Hey I love for this to be a another "Dragon's Dogma" and to be wrong about it, but most of the buzz coming out of PAX has been mixed, and there was like no line to play it on Sunday afternoon. To be fair Duck Tales (woo hoo!). That and with TR sellling 3.5 mil under a month and SQ still considering it a flop, I'm kinda at a crossroads on how Japanese publishes views the US/Western market.

Re: Tomb Raider- I'm excited for you to play the game. I'm taking a break from it, because Bioshock is INCREDIBLE, but it's still a solid AAA releases
I'm also underselling the panel. It wasn't so much a "nah nah nah told you so" type of thing and more of a "Hey, we have the task or recreating of the biggest video game icons to date", and what they looked at and endured, which I found really really interesting.

Suprisingly, a really good gender discussion came about in the Nerds Vs. Jocks panels, and how effed it is that male nerds are also bigger jerks to female nerds that "jocks" are these days.
__________________
Stalk me on twitter! @theanarchris, THEN IMMEDIATELY REGRET YOUR DECISION!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #5538
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator
 
Michi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 21,127
Played BioShock Infinite for 6 hours last night. Loving seeing the finished product.

Went on YouTube late last night and found a credit roll and confirmed that my name is on there. Pretty darn happy right now! Looking forward to beating it and seeing it myself, but I'm taking my time. I like to go into every room and make sure I've explored everything before moving on.
__________________
日本語も出来ます。

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #5539
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon
 
seiryuux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,113
Started up Gravity Rush. Interesting game so far, though I can see why the Gametrailers.com reviewer of this game thought there needed to be a lock-on mechanic. (Then again, that would negate the gyroscope mechanic in the process)
__________________
You either END GAME or you don't play the game at all!!!
PSN: seiryuux
3DS Friend Code: 3497-0813-7759

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:07 AM   #5540
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!
 
MeiChama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,375
I got BioInf (My short version of Bioshock Infinite) from Amazon in the mail yesterday, so I've been playing that.
__________________
Planned Cosplays
[Monomi-Dangan Ronpa]
[Aiichiro Nitori-Free!]
[Alvin-Tales of Xillia]
[Miku-Common World Domination]


Cons Attending
[Vox Reax Tour]
[Miku Expo]


dA
Facebook
Instagram
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #5541
Raikalith
Registered User
 
Raikalith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 25
Wish I could say Bioshock Infinite, but at the moment I'm dividing my time between Dishonored and Persona 4 Arena.
Raikalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #5542
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self
 
UNIT0918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 880
Judging by the amount of hidden trophies there are for my PS3, I think I'm about 3/4 done with Bioshock Infinite. I have no complaints at all about the game, except for my nitpick of having invisible feet when you look down! It's really hard for me to imagine that I'm playing a first-person (i.e. through a character's eyes) game if it looks like you're just a floating camera with hands.

While on the go, alongside Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, I'm also playing Atelier Totori Plus for my Vita. It's a weeaboo game that I'm actually enjoying because it seems to focus on item synthesis, quests, and exploration. J-RPGs are definitely made to be played on the go, because I'm much farther than I ever got in the PS3 version of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Played BioShock Infinite for 6 hours last night. Loving seeing the finished product.

Went on YouTube late last night and found a credit roll and confirmed that my name is on there. Pretty darn happy right now! Looking forward to beating it and seeing it myself, but I'm taking my time. I like to go into every room and make sure I've explored everything before moving on.
Ah, so Bioshock Infinite must be the game you said you were testing, and couldn't talk about! Awesome!
__________________
http://backloggery.com/unit0918
PlayStation Network ID: UNIT0918
Xbox Live Gamertag: UNIT 0918

Last edited by UNIT0918 : 03-28-2013 at 05:54 AM.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #5543
LawlietCookies
Don't save anymore.
 
LawlietCookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 401
Persona 3 FES.
__________________
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Minene Uryuu (Mirai Nikki)
Sasha Braus(Attack on Titan)
Anise Tatlin (Tales of the Abyss)


LawlietCookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #5544
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator
 
Michi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 21,127
Picked up Walking Dead again after two months, oops. Halfway done with episode four so it's almost done! I think I've mentioned that I only play it when my boyfriend watches it, so it's taking a bit longer than usual.
__________________
日本語も出来ます。

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #5545
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
I'm wary of my 30 yr old wife running around alone as Juliet because I dont trust nerds, so eff that guy.
In defense of nerds, every one around me was making WTF faces at the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Re: "Remember Me"- Hey I love for this to be a another "Dragon's Dogma" and to be wrong about it, but most of the buzz coming out of PAX has been mixed, and there was like no line to play it on Sunday afternoon.
Sunday? From 2pm until 5pm the line was continually at the "2 hour wait from here sign." I checked everytime I went past hoping it would go down. Though it's true that when I got in line at 4pm, I actually only waited a hour. When I got to the front at 5pm, the woman asked how long I'd waited and then went and closed the line so that it would be done by 6pm when things closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Suprisingly, a really good gender discussion came about in the Nerds Vs. Jocks panels, and how effed it is that male nerds are also bigger jerks to female nerds that "jocks" are these days.
Again, in (semi) defense of nerds - I've yet to hear news reports of two nerds dragging around a girl who was black out drunk and texting videos of them sexually assaulting her. And I haven't heard any stories of nerds beating their ex-girlfriends to death. Which isn't to say that there isn't room for improvement. It's pretty faint praise to say, "Hey, at least you don't actually rape and kill women! You only threaten to do it from the safety of the Internet!" And to be fair - there are plenty of decent male nerds. The horrible ones just make it shittier for everyone.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #5546
TheAnarCHris
Overrated
 
TheAnarCHris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 13,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
In defense of nerds, every one around me was making WTF faces at the guy.


Sunday? From 2pm until 5pm the line was continually at the "2 hour wait from here sign." I checked everytime I went past hoping it would go down. Though it's true that when I got in line at 4pm, I actually only waited a hour. When I got to the front at 5pm, the woman asked how long I'd waited and then went and closed the line so that it would be done by 6pm when things closed.
I was there around noonish picking up a Megman pin for a friend and there was no line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Again, in (semi) defense of nerds - I've yet to hear news reports of two nerds dragging around a girl who was black out drunk and texting videos of them sexually assaulting her. And I haven't heard any stories of nerds beating their ex-girlfriends to death. Which isn't to say that there isn't room for improvement. It's pretty faint praise to say, "Hey, at least you don't actually rape and kill women! You only threaten to do it from the safety of the Internet!" And to be fair - there are plenty of decent male nerds. The horrible ones just make it shittier for everyone.
I originally had a good CNN burn to start off this reply, but decided againist it. But yeah, the bads ones are making it worst for the lot of us. The most popular story out of PAX right now is "Skeevy journalist uses outdate puppet dog joke to creep out Lara Croft cosplayers", instead of something like "Nerds once again raise a fuckton of money for Child's Play."
__________________
Stalk me on twitter! @theanarchris, THEN IMMEDIATELY REGRET YOUR DECISION!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #5547
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
The most popular story out of PAX right now is "Skeevy journalist uses outdate puppet dog joke to creep out Lara Croft cosplayers"
I had to google, but, honestly? I think this story makes the nerd community look pretty good. One guy is an ass, the people with the power to do something about it did something about it. Guy is no longer welcome at PAX. Bullshit will always happen, the difference is how the powers that be deal with it.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #5548
TheAnarCHris
Overrated
 
TheAnarCHris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 13,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I had to google, but, honestly? I think this story makes the nerd community look pretty good. One guy is an ass, the people with the power to do something about it did something about it. Guy is no longer welcome at PAX. Bullshit will always happen, the difference is how the powers that be deal with it.
Why I don't disregard your view, I think I'm a tad jaded due to it being tweeted/facebooked/etc with asinine comments underminding the good on my various social medias. If you can take something positive from it good for ya, I think I'm just too plugged into the internets not to be a lil spurned.
__________________
Stalk me on twitter! @theanarchris, THEN IMMEDIATELY REGRET YOUR DECISION!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #5549
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator
 
Michi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 21,127
Annnnd Walking Dead beaten. There were two slip-ups in Episode 5 that didn't match up with my game's choices and that was kinda.. upsetting because they had been so good about making everything work until then. Oh well. Still fantastic.

We (boyfriend + I) really should have played Gears Judgment last night together since we went out to buy it. Oops. We're going to a baseball game tonight so we may not have time until Saturday, oh well.

I am really itching to play some BioShock Infinite again so I think I'll go do that before the game!
__________________
日本語も出来ます。

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #5550
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,139
just beat bioshock infinite (hard mode) - i give it a 6.0 out of 10

will try on 1999 Mode. game is just to easy on hard mode only died once because i jumped off the edge to see how a dying screen would look.
__________________
Attended : ALA 2014 *7th Year* *4th Year Staff* -- Gallifrey One 2014 *1st Year Staff*
Anime Conji 2014 *2nd Year* *2nd Year Fan Table* -- AX 2014 *7th Year Attendee*
Attending : SDCC 2014 *6th Year Attendee*
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.