Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #5686
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

I'm playing Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, I touched it a bit a couple weeks ago but I didn't have time to sink in my teeth until now.

Why didn't I play this earlier in life, it's perfect, it balances damn near everything. I've never seen a game that changes so much because of the choices you made when making a character. Game is all like "oh hey you talked your way out of that fight, have some EXP because we aren't dicks who punish certain ways of playing", beautiful. Morality isn't baby fed to me with coloured labels, I have yet to find out if I actually helped good or bad people when I got to the first town. They are blunt too, a Half Ogre and half Orc doesn't have humble beginnings, straight up they say, a woman was raped by an ogre/orc, then a half breed was born, yeesh.

I made a magey, charismatic half elf, hybrids have it tough at the start, but I'll persevere.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #5687
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

It's been a while since I played a game for so long that I lost track of time. Thank you Project X Zone for being the game that I got a 3DS for. (Aside from Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Devil Survivor Overclocked)

Last edited by UNIT0918 : 06-28-2013 at 09:36 PM.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #5688
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
They are blunt too, a Half Ogre and half Orc doesn't have humble beginnings, straight up they say, a woman was raped by an ogre/orc, then a half breed was born, yeesh.
Just what I want in my interactive entertainment! More rape! Actually, the distasteful way in which the rape story arc in A: oSaMO is handled has been pointed out more than once. Warning, spoilers.

But it may be a great game otherwise - I'll take your word for it since I'm not going to play it. I don't really want more rape in the video games that I play. I was being sarcastic.

Last edited by The Hag : 06-26-2013 at 01:20 PM.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #5689
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

YAY!!!!!!!!
So a little story first. I left for a year and a half and right before I left, I lost a PS2 memory card, and an adaptor that copied those files to the PS3..Well, RIGHT before I left, my dumb ass accidentally wrote over my KH2 file. I was 97% complete with it..I was extremely proud of that. The furthest I've got in ANY game. And I don;t mean 987% of the story, I mean 97% GAME completion. Like all the mini games, beating Sephiroth, and so on. I only had a few jobs to beat the objective, and to win the olympus cups with the objective. Anyway, So I wrote over it with a new file by accident and lost the old card so I couldn't copy it again..

I lost it in Nov. 2008..

I found it yesterday..
You have no idea how stoked I was to see that. I totally started playing that file again ^_^
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #5690
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Just what I want in my interactive entertainment! More rape! Actually, the distasteful way in which the rape story arc in A: oSaMO is handled has been pointed out more than once. Warning, spoilers.

But it may be a great game otherwise - I'll take your word for it since I'm not going to play it. I don't really want more rape in the video games that I play. I was being sarcastic.
They make games within the context of the time period they are in, and yeah it sucks.

When it comes down to it, I think it's as simple as "we need the player to hate someone, how are we going to do it within the limits of our game world?". As you know, we hate rapists, slave owners, and pedophiles to name a few. Look at the last Rambo movie, we are supposed to hate that commander, and that is emphasized when we find out he does things with boys. Shakespeare's Titus is another example, you can't tell me you didn't feel some sort of joy when Titus slit Chiron' and Demetrius' throats.

I understand the frustration, but I'm not going to let one rotten apple spoil my tree.

Last edited by Arc_The_Lad : 06-27-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #5691
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
They make games within the context of the time period they are in, and yeah it sucks.
Um, it's a fantasy game in a fantasy time period. Not to mention that rape is not now nor has it ever been confined to a single place or time period.

Quote:
When it comes down to it, I think it's as simple as "we need the player to hate someone, how are we going to do it within the limits of our game world?". As you know, we hate rapists, slave owners, and pedophiles to name a few.
Agreed, and I have happily played games that included those things. The issue with Arcanum, which I admit, I know of only second hand, is the way it handles the resolution of the rape side quest. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say that what I read led me to believe that I'd have the same reaction to it as I did to Bastion. Bastion was an extremely well-made and original game but forces the player to participate in genocide. Not only can you not avoid it, you aren't even allowed to voice your moral objections. Your only other option is to quit playing the game. It made me hate not only the game but the developers. I got over it, but hated of real people is not an experience I want to encounter when playing a video game.

Quote:
Shakespeare's Titus is another example, you can't tell me you didn't feel some sort of joy when Titus slit Chiron' and Demetrius' throats.
Yes, revenge is sweet when you are allowed to have it.

Quote:
I understand the frustration, but I'm not going to let one rotten apple spoil my tree.
Not saying that you should. I only mentioned it since you implied that the rape aspect somehow gave it a "gritty realism" that made it a better game. I wanted to point out that not everyone who played it agrees.

Last edited by The Hag : 06-27-2013 at 05:39 AM.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #5692
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT0918 View Post
It's been a while since I played a game for so long that I lost track of time. Thank you Project X Zone for being the game that I got a 3DS for. (Aside from Shin Megami Tensei IV and Devil Survivor Overclocked)
X Zone is really friggin fun. I'm on Chapter 3, and the game is packed with injokes and the combat mechanics are great for a JPRG. It sucks that I don't recognize at least 1/3rd of the cast, but the easter eggs and in-jokes make up for it.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #5693
LadyCrankypants
Lady of House Crankypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Leon's campaign is the only thing good about RE6. It goes downhill from there.

And yea, screw the PC, I was well aware I was blowing up my own Aliens. Muton Elites ain't people.
I was really enjoying it, sad to hear the rest doesn't live up.... I'll play it anyway because Resident Evil, but I guess it was nice to experience classic zombies in a dynamic environment. My only complaint was the number of times I was stuck standing around waiting for my partner to do something. I understand it was to emphasize the teamwork aspect, but at least give me some zombies to shoot while she searches for that crank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
YAY!!!!!!!!
So a little story first. I left for a year and a half and right before I left, I lost a PS2 memory card, and an adaptor that copied those files to the PS3..Well, RIGHT before I left, my dumb ass accidentally wrote over my KH2 file. I was 97% complete with it..I was extremely proud of that. The furthest I've got in ANY game. And I don;t mean 987% of the story, I mean 97% GAME completion. Like all the mini games, beating Sephiroth, and so on. I only had a few jobs to beat the objective, and to win the olympus cups with the objective. Anyway, So I wrote over it with a new file by accident and lost the old card so I couldn't copy it again..

I lost it in Nov. 2008..

I found it yesterday..
You have no idea how stoked I was to see that. I totally started playing that file again ^_^
Aww, that's exciting! But also reminds me of the fact that I lost my PS2 cards I had put SO MANY hours into my Disgaea team, I really wanted to finish Disgaea 2, and unlocking songs in DDR all over again is a pain in my keester... I imagine I would experience similar joy... If I ever find it!

Anyway, I am no longer home visiting my family, but I'm also not at MY home - I'm working away for the summer, so my only source of gaming is my laptop. I've been beating away at my Fallout 3 re-run, I brought Dead Space 2, Diablo III and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat, and I may start a second run of XCOM:EU.... If I end up having any time for gaming once things get running. We'll see!

Works in Progress
Gaige - 75% done (on hold)
Gecko Moria - 90% done, props need to be finished

Completed Costumes - Moxxi|Dr Zed|Robin

The Crankypants Chronicles | Facebook Page | deviantArt
LadyCrankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #5694
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Decided to just download Muramasa Rebirth instead of waiting for a physical copy. Needed it for the weekend anyway.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #5695
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Playing Muramasa Rebirth alongside Project X Zone now. As expected from a Vanillaware game, Muramasa is gorgeous on the Vita's screen. The combat took a bit of getting used to, but now I think I can perform a bunch of combos with ease. And I love the Japanese in-jokes that are placed around the game.

But it kind of sucks knowing that when you're playing as Momohime, you're not actually playing as a badass female samurai, but a male spirit taking over her body.
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #5696
Isikaru

I finally finished Pokemon Black! And it was wonderful. Now I understand why people love Pokemon. I'm glad my buddy got me to cosplay N so that I could play the game so that I could become a Pokemon fan lol. Now I want to go back and play all the older games. And maybe newer/future ones as well.
Isikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #5697
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Bout 8 hours deep into PXZ which has been a blast, and started inFAMOUS 2 on the Triple, which I'm really digging.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #5698
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

I'm taking a break from Project X Zone and Muramasa Rebirth for a bit and playing my new copy of Fire Emblem Awakening. It's pretty good so far. And the game is beautiful and makes good use of the 3-D. My only personal gripe is how you spend the time to make your own custom protagonist, only to play the game and see that you have no control over his personality whatsoever. I guess I'm just used to games with custom silent protagonists that let you choose their dialogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Bout 8 hours deep into PXZ which has been a blast, and started inFAMOUS 2 on the Triple, which I'm really digging.
I'm glad you're liking inFamous 2! When you get near the end, be sure to make a separate save file so you can see the two different endings!
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #5699
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

There's some stuff you can choose in FE:A, but I'll skip it now for spoilers. But the game is amazing. Dropped 80 hours into it so far. X Zone may give it a run for it's money though, I'm really digging it.

And iNF2 is fun. Really digging the user-created missions.

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #5700
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT0918 View Post
But it kind of sucks knowing that when you're playing as Momohime, you're not actually playing as a badass female samurai, but a male spirit taking over her body.
Yeah I felt the same way when I first played the game on the Wii.

SPOILERS

I wish the start of her game was more like one of her endings.

/SPOILERS

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote