Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Bleach

Unread 06-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
RainbowSprinkle

Bleach Cosplay NOOB

So I'm pretty much a complete noob to this cosplay thing but we all have to start somewhere don't we?
So I was wondering, are there any do's and don'ts for cosplaying? I don't wanna get laughed at and stuff and I do wanna look cool :P

Unread 06-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

When it comes to Bleach cosplay, to me what makes them depends on who you are cosplaying. If it's a shinigami, make sure that you have real hakama and the kimono or haori underneath are two, one white, one black. Not a black one with a white edge...that drives me, and I know others, crazy. If you are cosplaying a captain, the Captains' haori should have good outside detailing for the squad number and hem detail as well as line them in the correct colors. That will add that tiny bit of flair to the costume. Also, for the lieutenants, make sure that you have the squad badges most of them wear around their arms.

Hair and accessories can also make or break you with the Bleach characters. Without them, you could just end up looking like someone running around in hakama and kimono.

These are just some things for most characters from Bleach. But it all depends on how far you are willing to go for accuracy and who you are cosplaying.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
RainbowSprinkle

well none of my posts are showing up =/
but i was wondering about colored contacts and what to use for rukia, since sometimes her eyes are light purple and other times its dark blueish purple...
also, my friend is going to cosplay kenpachi and we cant find a good wig anywhere =/ the bells arent a problem, cause i'd find a way to get them on, but all the wigs we found look weird as heck O.o
i dont wanna post any links to pictures cause then this post might not show up, so hopefully this one does,
or if my other one shows up im sorry xD
Unread 06-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Yukari Kaiba
LIKE A BOSS

honestly, for Rukia correct eye color isn't really something to be worried about. Now if a character's eyes were a distinctive trait of theirs (like Ulquiorra), then getting contacts might be something to consider. But I think you can get away without them for your Rukia costume.
As for a Kenpachi wig, you're most likely going to have to get a wig and style it yourself.

2013 Cosplay!
Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basket)COMPLETE!
Alibaba Saluja (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic)COMPLETE!
Hige (Wolf's Rain)COMPLETE!
Sanada Yukimura, Revoltech limited edition variant (Sengoku BASARA)COMPLETE!
Subway Master Nobori (Pokemon Black&White)COMPLETE!
Candlehead (Sugar Rush!/Wreck-It Ralph)COMPLETE!
Scrafty (Pokemon Black&White)COMPLETE!
Hatsune Miku, Magnet variant (Vocaloid)COMPLETE!
Skull Kid (Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)
Yukari Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
Barairo Ningyou
Hyuu~!

I agree with everything Mehdia said about what you should/shouldn't have; Bleach costumes look simple, so mess up with one of those things and it's really obvious! Something I'd like to point out is that I see a lot of Bleach cosplay where wigs aren't used but colored spray/styling products are and...well, it just looks really bad, because not only is the style completely wrong in most cases, it basically looks like you've just covered your own hair color in paint or something. ^^;

As for Rukia's eyes, like you said, it varies, so if you do get contacts I don't think you have to worry too much about shade. Just get purple contacts and you'll be fine! As for Kenpachi's wig..well, that's a challenge. I'd suggest reading a loooot of threads in the wigs subforum about how to do unusual styles like his if you're planning to style it yourself, and if you're not comfortable with that, look for a good wig commissioner. Good luck! ^^
Barairo Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
RainbowSprinkle

haha thanks :] i think im just going to do without the contacts, unless i happen to come across something amazing :P
as for the kenpachi wig, i've never done much hairstyling, so i might be able to get someones help [i hope]
Unread 06-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Barairo Ningyou brought up another good point with the hair.

And like everyone else said on the contacts, they aren't vital, but if you want to get them, that shouldn't stop you from getting them. As for Kenpachi's wig, yeah, go through tons of threads and study up on using foamcore and other stuff to style one yourself or find a REALLY good commissioner.

Good luck on the Bleach front. It's a fun series to do some cosplay from. I have enjoyed it for three years now.
Unread 07-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
AnimeFreakKatie

I think the hair is the most important part of cosplay. If it looks nothing like the character then the cosplay is usual bad.
AnimeFreakKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
Tatsu-chan

I agree thay you need a Juban(undekimono) if its a shinigami, if you do that then it just shows a little extra effort on your part and peple will appeaciate the costume all the more, and another thing that is important(to me at least) is that you have the correct number of pleats in your hakama, 7 is what they usually have for martial arts(5 in front, 2 in back) but its a lot easier to go with 4(all in front) or six(same as 4) 4 is common wear, 6 is for like ifyour visiting the emporer so its really formal, I like 7 the best for bleach cause the charactershave pleats in the back.
ALSO, this is VITAL to the care of your costume, hakama and kimono NEED to be folded properly, otherwise you will get wrinkles in odd places and the hakama will need to be repleated I guess you could say
Tatsu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
Starlla

Forgive me if it may seem like common sense but make sure the number on the back of the captains jacket is the right one. So many times I've seen a really awesomely done captain with the wrong number on the back.
Starlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlla View Post
Forgive me if it may seem like common sense but make sure the number on the back of the captains jacket is the right one. So many times I've seen a really awesomely done captain with the wrong number on the back.
You brought up a good point that I never even thought about! Having the right number and the detail at the bottom can really make or break the Captain's haori.